Qt3 Movie Podcast: the top ten of 2018

We present, using fancy spreadsheet technology, our top ten movies of 2018! Also, our biggest surprises, our biggest disappointments, and our favorite miscellaneous thingies.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2019/01/07/qt3-movie-podcast-the-top-ten-of-2018/

I love the opening music.

Most anticipated podcast of the year! With fancy maths!

Me too.

Please note. We no longer hear the opening music during the intro, so anything related to the intro music during the podcast is entirely organic.

For once I’m not being sarcastic.

-xtien

“Okay. Sorry. My brain just murdered itself after I heard the word ‘saddle fatigue’.”

I love how spoiler-free this is so far.

Also, I’m surprised that despite listening to things like Fresh Air’s best movies of 2018 episode, there’s still movies on this Qt3 Top 10 that I’ve never heard of. I just had to google “Destroyer” to make sure Tom wasn’t make up the existence of this movie.

Yeah, you guys are pretty amazing at discussing movies without spoiling the plot. (Although when you’ve got me convinced that I should see the movie, I always fast-forward to the next one JUST in case…)

Thank you, Dave. We are pretty careful about that in this show. For the most part. So your policy is a good one. There is a point in this show where I think we get into a bit of trouble and one of us has to be a scold. But the show is kinda long. I mean kinda. And I literally have not slept for two days so I may not be thinking straight.

Anyway. Your policy is probably going to be advisable as we get closer to the top of our lists. This is not important to everyone, but I know that next week I’m going to give a mea culpa to a certain listener who rightfully called me out on spoiling a key moment in a movie I talked about a week or so ago during a 3x3 conversation. And this listener was right to do so.

I’m babbling. But you know. See above as to why.

Why am I still typing?

-xtien

“A sound compromise.”

I think you’re all so good at it now that you don’t even sound like you’re being careful. You just know how to be careful. An occasional spoiler is forgivable.

Uhhh, Tom, I do believe your number one was released in 2017 in the US. Otherwise this would have been on my list as well.

Edit: you addressed that. Posted too quick.

Aw. One of my favourite things in the podcast is you guys’ reaction to the music.

Mine too. But the program we were using stopped cooperating in that regard. For some reason. Dumb computer programs.

-xtien

“We are him and he is us. We are one in this together.”

For the record, I love that it’s long, and that you give time to discussing the movies and why you love them, and also take the time to read everyone’s submissions. Thank you for doing that!

I know one of your missions has always been to make this podcast feel like it’s hanging out with your buddies talking about movies. I just want to say that it definitely feels that way to me, and fills a gap in my own social circle. My friends like movies, but none of them geek out about them the way I (and you guys) like to do.

Fully agree with @sinnick and I never understand why podcasters worry about the length of their podcasts!

Tom, Dingus is being me… Darn it!

No lists?

@roguefrog, I’ll post the guys lists in a few hours when I get home from work.

@sinnick, Bryan Becker are you guys alright if I post your lists or will you be posting them?

Edit: Sorry Jason Becker, didn’t mean to bug you.

Here are the guys Top 10, Most Surprising Movie, Most Disappointing Movie, and Favorite Miscellaneous Thingy

Dingus

10 Roma
9 Green Book
8 The Sisters Brothers
7 Leave No Trace
6 Black Panther
5 A Quiet Place
4 Eighth Grade
3 Isle of Dogs
2 The Little Stranger
1 The Rider

Most Surprising: Crazy Rich Asians, Blockers

Most Disappointing: Solo: A Star Wars Story

Miscellaneous Thingy: Singing scene in Izzy Gets the F**k Across Town, Two ducks mating in Roma

KellyWand

10 Sorry to Bother You
9 Upgrade
8 The Little Stranger
7 Widows
6 The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
5 Hereditary
4 The Favourite
3 Under the Silver Lake
2 The Sisters Brothers
1 Eighth Grade

Most Surprising: Into the Spider-Verse and Rami Malek kicking it in Bohemian Rhapsody

Most Disappointing: Ant Man and the Wasp

Miscellaneous Thingy: An Aquaman quote

Tom

10 Leave No Trace
9 Sorry to Bother You
8 The Rider
7 Black Panther
6 The Sisters Brothers
5 Destroyer
4 Eighth Grade
3 You Were Never Really Here
2 Hereditary
1 Thelma

Most Surprising: The Death of Stalin, Not hating A Star Is Born

Most Disappointing: First Reformed, Puzzle

Miscellaneous Thingy: The repairing of the relationship during the singing in Izzy Gets the F**k Across Town

Yay, me and Kelly have the same number one!

10 The Tale
9 Phantom Thread
8 Disobedience
7 Hereditary
6 Thoroughbreds
5 Unsane
4 A Star Is Born
3 The Favourite
2 Wildlife
1 Eighth Grade

Unsane is not a great movie, but it really did it for me. I love Claire Foy. Her diatribe toward the end is great.
A Star Is Born was just such a pleasurable surprise and awesome theater experience when I first saw it. It won’t have the legs of others on this list, but it’s my fourth favorite of the year 2018.
The Favourite, Wildlife, and Eighth Grade were all jockeying for #1.
When I saw The Favourite a second time I brought along a friend, telling him it’s like seeing a new Kubrick movie in 2018. As has been discussed on the podcast Olivia Colman is awesome, always. Same for Weisz, Stone, Hoult, and even Taylor Swift’s boyfriend (so I’ve heard) as Stone’s love interest.
Wildlife was my favorite horror movie of the year. It’s not listed as being in that genre, but there are few things as terrifying as a fourteen-year-old kid seeing his parents fall apart, both in their marriage and within themselves. It’s about the two people you rely on becoming unreliable.
Eighth Grade is great. I didn’t write in because I didn’t know what to say. What Kellywand said. That’s what I say.

I’m still mad about the tepid release of Luca Guadagnino’s Suspiria. I loved A Bigger Splash and Call Me By Your Name and I couldn’t wait for his follow-up. But then it didn’t get a very wide release and I wasn’t able to see it. Boo!

I feel the way about The Rider that Tom does about Roma: a vegetable movie. It’ll be good for me, but, I mean, I saw Leave No Trace and Lean on Pete. It’ll just be another one of those, right? Pretty good, but not terribly exciting.

Oh, and I haven’t finished the Netflix film Taylor Swift: Reputation Stadium Tour yet, so it didn’t make the list.

Honorable Mentions:
Jeannette: The Childhood of Joan of Arc
Private Life
Sorry to Bother You
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

Dishonorable Mentions:
Bad Times at the El Royale
Crazy Rich Asians
Mary Queen of Scots

I’m glad @ChristienMurawski saw Crazy Rich Asians, but I’m frustrated that I continue to be the only person who thought it was horrible. I feel bad about it, but I don’t get it.

–Chris Webb

Eighth Grade was my favorite movie from last year, Hereditary a close second. The rest for me were mostly forgettable but I need to check out some of the others on these lists.