Qt3 Movie Podcast: Tomb Raider

“Here comes Alicia Vikander!” says Kelly Wand. You have been warned.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2018/03/19/qt3-movie-podcast-tomb-raider/

Kellywand does not disappoint.

I liked Vikander in Ex Machina and Man from U.N.C.L.E. I still need to see the Danish Girl at some point since she one won a best supporting Oscar for her performance.

Lara Croft as a mentally slow, costume-less Batman who won’t claim her fortune. Not inaccurate, after watching this.

You mention Batman and I forgot to mention it when I wrote in, but I was pleased that she didn’t have a bunch of Bat Gadgets to help her on her way.

This was mostly a dud. I did enjoy watching Alicia Vikander run and jump. That’s about all I’ve got.

FWIW, re the podcast, she did ‘solve’ the color of life puzzle. To yield green, she had to combine the blue and yellow gems.

She took two!

Ooh! Josh! I totally missed that. Now I can see it in my head. The filming was so clunky, and I’m so bad with color seeing, that I totally missed that!

Duh

Good work, sir!

-xtien

“You just found yourself a fox.”

I like Vikander, and I liked Tomb Rider 2013, and I quite liked this movie, eventhough I never need to see it again. Still, one of the better game to movie adaptations. At least it was not complete abomination like Hitmen.

Sorry for tomb raiding (ha!) this old thread but I’ve only watched the movie just now and could finally listen to this episode. Now, not that it’s very important but I do want to point out that Lara’s friend in the game is called Sam (Samantha Nishimura). Not Sophie. I don’t think there even is a Sophie in the game. To be fair, both names begin with “S”.

My daughter and I wanted to see this in theaters but couldn’t make time, so we watched it last night and both enjoyed it. I thought they did a great job on the casting - Goggins was great as usual, and Vikander was an inspired choice for Laura Croft. Best of the three movies in my opinion, and a fair telling of the rebooted 2013 game.

There was some strange leaps in logic though, nothing I couldn’t look past and just enjoy the movie for what it was, but one of those things you think about the next day as you are typing up something about the movie in a forum post. Like, that was quite the leap to make that the person Goggins was talking to on the sat phone was the woman that was her guardian and who ran the business for years.

But all in all, I’m in for the next one, and we’ll probably aim for the theater this time, assuming there is one.