Qt3 Movie Podcast: top ten of 2016

Qt3 Movie Podcast: top ten of 2016 Using math, we determine the top ten movies of 2016. Each! Next week: A Monster Calls Podcast (movies): Play in new window | Download Subscribe: iTunes | Android | RSS

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2017/01/09/qt3-movie-podcast-top-ten-2016/

Is this podcast spoiler free? I forgot whether the end-of-year list tries to stay clear of spoilers or not.

And in case you don’t want to listen to a whole podcast, here are our lists:

Tom

1. La La Land
  2. Loving
  3. Manchester by the Sea
  4. Everybody Wants Some!!
  5. The Witch
  6. High-Rise
  7. Neon Demon
  8. Green Room
  9. The Look Like People
  10. The Lobster

Dingus

1. Certain Women
  2. Manchester by the Sea
  3. La La Land
  4. The Witch
  5. Moonlight
  6. Green Room
  7. The Handmaiden
  8. The Lobster
  9. Triple 9
  10. Blue Jay

Kellywand

1. La La Land
  2. The Witch
  3. The Handmaiden
  4. Moonlight
  5. The Lobster
  6. Loving
  7. Arrival
  8. Neon Demon
  9. Hardcore Henry
  10. Swiss Army Man

By our super-sensitive spoiler sensibilities, no. By a normal person’s spoiler sensibilities, yes. But it’s definitely not just for people who’ve seen the movies, as is the case with the movie-specific podcasts.

-Tom

I tried watching the Lobster, it was intriguing until about half way through when the main character starts being physically abusive to a child. Not only did it seem out of character it just made me feel sick to the stomach and I had to stop watching.

Apart from that I have only seen “Everybody wants some” among all your lists. I liked it but preferred the director’s other works.

1. A Bigger Splash
  2. The Neon Demon
  3. Arrival
  4. Certain Women
  5. Sunset Song
  6. Nocturnal Animals
  7. Moonlight
  8. Anomalisa
  9. Manchester by the Sea
  10. American Honey

Honorable Mentions:
The Edge of Seventeen
The Girl on the Train
The Witch

Dishonorable Mentions:
Cafe Society
Everybody Wants Some!!
La La Land

-Chris Webb, Kelly Wand fan club, @KellyWand69

We’ve some reconciliation to work on based on La La Land, @Kelly_Wand

Well, the Golden Globes certainly loved La La Land. Seven wins!

The text in the La La Land podcast implied one of you didn’t like musicals. But the movie still ended up in all 3’s top 10 despite that? That’s impressive.

Oh my god. Oh my god!!!

Aw. Weed + Cineramadome may have tilted me. As usual. I love you, brah.

Honorable mentions: Arrival, Sing Street, They Look Like People, Midnight Special, Hush

Whoa. I did not see that coming.

Aaaaand, now you’ve necessitated the creation of a Top Ten jail. It’s located next to the 3x3 jail, so you can transfer easily enough.

-xtien

“I have been trying to be a Christian. But I can see that the Devil has a hold on the two of you.”

Hey! Look there! Somebody else saw Blue Jay!

-xtien

“Fuck the ice cream.”

Just eat the ice cream! Why waste it!?

“I think the devil got a hold of your daughter.”

I have to admit, the ice cream was constantly on my mind. You don’t waste good ice cream. He’s got a freezer in his house, right?

-xtien

“No. We were deeply uncool.”

Good to see some Nice Guys love. 3 best uses of a bathroom stall…

Why am I in jail, Dingus? If it’s because Anomalisa came out in 2015 in Liberal Elite La La Land, well, some of us who live in Real America* aren’t so lucky. Movies that may be on my 2017 list: 20th Century Women, Paterson, Silence…

Can we get a write-up of that Marquardson list?

-CW

*Northern California

Chris Webb has been outed as the host of one of my favorite Twitter accounts! So I supposed I should look up what A Bigger Splash is. I assume it’s NOT a sequel to Splash. I’m not sure what your dishonorable mentions mean. I assume you’re saying you have dishonored yourself by not seeing them. That’s okay, don’t beat yourself up, since I haven’t seen Edge of Seventeen or Girl on the Train.

That Handmaiden poster is awesome, gretchen! I’d never seen that. And I’m glad to see someone on the They Look Like People train. There’s plenty of room here if anyone else wants to hop on.

Also, very cool to see The Invitation and Hush called out.

-Tom

I figure marquac would post it himself, but if not, here is the Chris Marquardson Top Ten of 2016:

1.   The Handmaiden - There is a scene where Lady Hideko is going to hang herself and just in the nick of time Sook-hee catches her.  They talk, and both women reveal that they were going to trick each other.  When Sook-hee finds out it takes her a moment to unpack the information.  She then lets go of Lady Hideko who starts to hang while Sook-hee screams "That fucking son of a bitch!"  I think that might be my favorite scene this year.  I didn't see any of the plot twists coming.  I didn't realize that two very attractive Asian women would be be naked and having a fairly graphic sex scene.  I watched that scene a few times to make sure it wasn't vulgar.  I loved how part one sets everything up and then part 2 and 3 go deeper and pay everything off.  We had unseasonably warm temperatures in November in Winnipeg and I was so happy after watching this movie that I went out for a walk.

1.   Embrace of the Serpent - I remember seeing the poster for this movie and wondering what the heck this was about.  Of course I wouldn't allow myself to look at the poster again until I had seen the movie for fear of spoilers.  I really, really liked how they kept moving between past and present.  And how awesome that they don't use title cards or anything to denote that time shift. I used this for my #1 pick for same character, different people 3x3.  I loved how Antonio Bolivar looks broken as old Karamakate.  I loved the two scenes of the Spanish catholic mission and how the religion was perverted into a cult in the intervening years.  I would also say that the movie needs to be in black and white to remove the beauty and spectacle of the jungle environment that they are in.  With black and white, I think it keeps your focus on the characters.

1.   Green Room - I wasn't as tired after watching this as I was after watching It Follows, but I think I would put this above It Follows in terms of me enjoying it more.  If there is ever a 3x3 of people emerging from a couch, Imogen Poots will be my number 1.  I loved that she becomes one of the main characters.  There's a scene between Patrick Stewart and Macon Blair where Stewart finds out that Daniel was going to run away and take a baseball bat that could have incriminated the movement with him.  Stewart grabs Blair by the back of the neck and leans in and gives him a kiss on the forehead.  I loved that.  It also has maybe my favorite last line in a movie.

1.   Moonlight - I follow a24 on Twitter.  It's sometimes annoying because they can post spoilery stuff.  But for the most part it's just so I can see a title and know it's from them. They posted about Moonlight and how it was getting great reviews and I saw the poster (which I try not to do).  Thankfully I didn't put together that it was an amalgamation of the three different Chirons.  I just thought the poster looked kind of cool and I took a chance when the one larger theatre that shows more indy stuff (this was the one that showed Under the Skin) in my area brought the movie in.  So damn good.  I thought the second act moved a little slow for me, but I absolutely loved the first and third act.

1.   The Witch -  I had flagged this as a possible podcast movie so I made sure to go watch it and wow.  So damn good.  I am in no way shape or form a horror guy. This was excellent though. They kill off a freaking baby at the start!!!!  Once that happens you know that the gloves are off and anything can happen.  How cool that the movie lets you know so early that yeah, nobody is safe and that there are real stakes here.  I think I've watched this four times now.

1.   High-Rise - I like to go to Box Office Mojo every couple of months and take a look at the releases for the year and I note down movies that have an interesting title or have actors that I like. I don't look at any story if there is any and I noted that Tom Hiddleston was in this and that was it.  How happy I was that you picked this for one of the Qt3 podcast movies because I had totally forgotten about it and it was such a strange experience watching this crazy, awesome movie.  That rape scene and then the morning after with Sienna Miller and Luke Evans was pretty powerful.

1.   Arrival - I know that it's kind of lame, but I really liked the scene with the Chinese general when Amy Adams finally realizes that for her, time is fluid and that it's all happening at once.  I think that's maybe because it reminds me of Watchmen.  I can't remember if the movie had a scene with Dr. Manhattan sitting on Mars and living through memories past and present.  I also liked the fact that Jeremy Renner played the role that women used to almost exclusively have.  I thought that was kind of cool.

1.   Certain Women - I really enjoyed the first act with Laura Dern and loved the third act with Kristen Stewart and Lily Gladstone. Laura Dern really wears her age well and her exasperation and tiredness was so effective. Dingus posted about the movie and I... procured a copy and was glad that I did so.  I'm not sure if you've seen the movie but there is a point in the third act where you know something is going to happen and I had to stop the movie and grab something to drink because I knew what was going to happen and I just needed that bit of a break before watching it.  There is also a neat little thing that Kristen Stewart does at a diner.  In case you haven't seen the movie I don't want to spoil it.  If you are curious let me know or ask Dingus, as I sent him a gif of it in a forum pm.

9 - Deadpool - Did you ever watch Sesame Street? They would do a one of these things is not like the other bit. This would be my “not like the other” pick. I had an absolute blast watching this. And why not, I think it’s pretty much targeted at 40 year old comic nerds who remember 80’s pop culture and wanted to see over the top comic book violence and swearing. This was definitely the movie where I laughed the most. During the podcast Dingus mentioned how right from the very start when they have the slow-mo scene with the credits that he was put off by it. I was just the opposite. That pulled me in and didn’t let go until the end.

1. Nocturnal Animals - If Midnight Special hadn’t made me a big Michael Shannon fan (I haven’t seen Take Shelter yet), this movie certainly did. He can do ruthless really well. I don’t think I’ve ever seen an opening scene like the one in this movie before. Hopefully I won’t see one like that again. I saw this movie on a Saturday as part of a triple bill. This was the first movie, followed by Miss Sloane and finishing with Office Christmas Party. So the day started on a high and went progressively downward. To be fair, I did like Miss Sloane because it allowed Chastain to get the chance to chew some scenery. The whole abduction of Gyllenhaal wife and daughter was really unsettling. I also liked the end. I have to admit I assumed it was going to be a happy ending and the fact that it wasn’t was pretty darn cool.

-Tom

This isn’t Nam, crispy. There are rules.

-Tom

Gah! Unfiltered Chris!