Qt3 Movie Podcast: X-Men: Apocalypse

Title Qt3 Movie Podcast: X-Men: Apocalypse
Author Tom Chick
Posted in Movie podcasts
When May 30, 2016

You know it's summer when there are this many comic book movies in a row. This week's 3x3 begins in the middle of next week's podcast, so tune in then to hear our favorite scenes in hardware stores..

Read the full article

It's sad that Tom is absent this week, but I like Christien's stint as team leader, kinda like last year. But I guess that makes Kelly extra rowdy, gotta tease the substitute teacher!

I wonder how many people Magneto killed in this movie? Because tearing apart buildings and bridges probably killed quite a few people and yet, because he betrayed Apocalypse at the last moment his crimes are ignored.

June 24th approaches and then I'll no longer have to take Kelly's word for his #2 pick for favorite landings.

Why do they call it Ovaltine? The mug is round. The jar
is round. They should call it roundtine.

That's gold, Chris! Gold!

Damn that really struck me during the bridge sequence. I mean a freaking school bus was lifted up into the air as the bridge buckled and broke. So, obviously, that's a ton of kids just gone, not to mention the other people on that bridge section. That really bothered me as a person, unfortunately my critic voice was whispering, "Wait, didn't we just see this in Transformers: Age of Extinction"? So I let it settle to a low hum of being unsettled, rather than really analyzing it.

There is this great moment in The Avengers that suddenly comes to mind upon reading your comment. After Black Widow has done her "cognitive recalibration" to get Hawkeye back to reality, he asks, "Natasha, how many agents did I--"

She cuts him off with, "Don't. Don't do that to yourself Clint. This is Loki. this is monsters and magic and nothing we were trained for."

I love that exchange because it shows that at least one of these heroes is willing to understand the implications of his actions, even if he was out of his mind at the time he killed those people. And he understands that there has to be an accounting for those actions, somehow. Most importantly he says this to the one character in the movie who understands so keenly the importance of balancing her books.

I don't get the free pass Magneto is given here, for while he was grieving--fine, I'll give them that--committing worldwide genocide is impossible to justify as a response.

If you are interested in Tom's Patreon page you can find the link here: https://www.patreon.com/tomchi...

The video is awesome.

You can also check out this thread on the Qt3 forums for info about the Patreon account as well: http://www.quartertothree.com/...

Nice, though Circletine has syllabic continuity. Good job on the podcast Christien and Kelly.

Actual answer: the original name was Ovomaltine (from ovum, Latin for "egg," and malt, which were originally its main ingredients). That was thought too long for the English-speaking market, so they shortened it to Ovaltine.

Kinberg.

Do we have the time stamp for the 3x3?

(edit) -- oops, I don't pay attention...

Thank you, Peter!

I don't know much about the cartoon, but I do wish the movie's version of Apocalypse gave speeches like his cartoon counterpart:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?...

"I am the rocks of the eternal shore. Crash against me and be broken!"

Beautiful.

I was surprised that Kelly and Christien both thought the Return of the Jedi “third movie is always the worst” joke was some kind of diss aimed at X3, when it seemed obvious that it was a (dumb) self-depreciating fourth-wall wink about the movie we’re watching, which is the the 3rd in the McAvoy/Fassbender/Lawrence series of X-men films.

It was kind of funny that you were both so pissed off about what seemed to me a complete misunderstanding.

I love this comment, @straight. I always love it when a new comment pops up after a particular show has been up for a long time. Makes me happy.

That said, I totally disagree with your interpretation. It’s such a stretch. Not that it matters. Regardless of interpretation, if you’re not going to hit this thing out of the park, it’s a foolish joke to make. You have to earn fourth-wall winks.

What I do agree with you on is how silly it is that we got so wee-wee’d up about it! Listening to the show after recording is quite often embarrassing for this reason. Let’s just say it often involves a lot of face-palming and me telling myself, “Next time, dude, you must chill.”

Thanks for the comment, straight!

-xtien

“Yeah but come on. If it wasn’t for the first one you wouldn’t have any of the rest of the movies.”

You think it’s a stretch to assume that “the third movie” refers to the the third movie in the series we’re currently watching? You think it’s less of a stretch to assume “the third movie” refers instead to a movie released 10 years ago in a related but different series that a whole bunch of the young people in this movie’s target audience haven’t seen, maybe haven’t even heard of?

I’m gonna have to disagree.

That’s fine. Type “X-Men 3” and/or “third x-men movie” into Google and get back to me.

FWIW, here’s what Kinberg has to say about it:

[quote]When Screenwriter Simon Kinberg was asked by CreativeScreenwriting.com about the joke, and if he was one of the people behind it, he had this to say.

“To be honest, I don’t remember who came up with it. Certainly it was something I was aware that it would poke fun at X3. It was also a bit dangerous because First Class and Days of Future Past are very good films and it potentially puts Apocalypse in the crosshairs as well. It was just a joke that I thought people would get a chuckle out of. We’re ten years away from X3 and we felt that if Deadpool can make fun of X-Men movies, we can too.”[/quote]

Now I’ve found a couple of weak arguments to support your idea. Again, that’s fine. But that’s really not the point, as I point out above, in what I thought was a gracious reply to your post. That being, if it’s a good movie, fine if it pokes fun at another movie. It’s not. So whether or not you’re correct–and given that the screenwriter (such as he is) doesn’t support that and seems to suggest that it might be taken the wrong way and put them in the crosshairs I’m afraid I still have to disagree with your interpretation–the fact from my point of view is that they have not earned a winking joke at the expense of another movie.

Thanks again for the comment.

-xtien

Sorry, Dingus, I didn’t mean to sound belligerent. I agree that X:Apocalypse sucks and this “joke” in particular was dumb and made me roll my eyes rather than laugh. I just meant that I wasn’t rationalizing anything, it was literally my first impression: “Third movie? Oh, that’s this one. Haha.”

I didn’t even think about it referring to the earlier series until I listened to the podcast, and frankly, sir, I think you owe me an apology for reminding me X3 existed. :)

Dangit! You win again!

Fact is, you’re right. It deserves little more than an eyeroll. I think I’m just bitter because I’ve had to watch X3 multiple times because of my kid. Even I don’t deserve that!

-xtien

“Oh my stars and garters.”