Qt3 Movie Podcast: Z for Zachariah

It’s time for some arthouse post-apocalypse. Or, as Kellywand says, “This movie is sooo Tom.” At the 1:18, we launch into a discussion of missiles in movies.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2015/11/23/qt3-movie-podcast-z-for-zachariah

You can find the review of Z for Zachariah that Tom wrote for the front page here: http://www.quartertothree.com/...

Damn, I guess my 3x3 submission didn't make it this time then. I only sent the email a few hours ago. I guess I'll catch you next time you do an on demand movie.

Looking forward to the discussion anyway, I liked this movie and it should be interesting to see if you guys managed to come up with any good missiles for the 3x3.

I think the guys usually start recording around 9:00 pm Sunday on the west coast. The latest I've sent in my picks has been at 10:00 pm west coast time and they got read on the podcast.

I'm sorry we missed reading your picks, AshenVictor! I just checked the email account and it looks like it didn't land in our inbox until a little after we finished recording, so that's why Kelly missed it.

As marquac says below, the recording start time we shoot for is 9pm California time. We generally get to the 3x3 segment an hour later, and that means we will get to the listener emails within the next hour.

Please do write-in again! Reading and hearing the emails is one of the best parts of the show, and we love it when new folks contribute.

Ha, liked your discussion about working out how to pronounce words you've only ever encountered in print. I've goofed up so many words that way. Hell, you guys taught me how to pronounce "prescient".

Thanks for the info. I'll definitely send in some other time, but I very rarely go to a theatre for a movie so it's usually when you decide to watch something I can get online that I have the opportunity. So I'll keep an eye out for that.

I like the last line of this post, given your avatar image.

Let's say I meant to do that.

I'm glad my anime picks were such a hit. You're welcome, slaves!

If anyone's interested, here are the videos (and, in one case, a gif) for my picks:
3) "Itano Circus" in Macross Plus: https://youtu.be/5hJepWBUqZk?t...
2) Rioters' projectiles in Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade: https://youtu.be/3gKxm9k8V2g?t...
1) Sachiel crushing a missile in Rebuild of Evangelion 1.11 - You Are (Not) Alone: http://media.giphy.com/media/N...

It was a fun challenge to go back through all the anime that I know and try to pick only from theatrically released movies, particularly because (in my opinion) the strongest anime tends to be found in series format outside of work by Studio Ghibli, Mamoru Oshii, and Makoto Shinkai. If another topic strikes my interest, I'll try again (and maybe do a normal submission in the meantime). Hope we're still friends, Kelly!

In retrospect, Asuka's battle against the forces of Seele in End of Evangelion might be a better example of the "huge missile crumples uselessly against the massive Angel/Eva" phenomenon: https://youtu.be/ggAxjfkW4eM?t...

Such a delightful part of the show this time, Gormongous. I mean it. It was such a pleasure listening to Kelly read your picks. You made my night.

That thing where superstar writers have their books written for them and just slap their name on the cover for release is still very much happening. James Patterson and James Frey are two of the high profile culprits. Frey was associated with "Boiler Room" style product lines and offering his associates a golden opportunity to get paid almost nothing for little or no exposure. It seems to be a way to churn out future movie properties, with a supertight contract that awards the content-maker almost nothing. As a struggling writer I am conflicted: properties like the Patterson books are the 2% that pay for the 98%, but still it's morally dubious imo. At least with Patterson it appears to be leading some to find later fame on their own standing, and he's not hiding the fact he has a large amount of help to write his gazillion books (at least in interviews, not so much on the book jackets).

Although I am not in the military, I can back up Tom's military terminology distinction between rocket and missile, with the caveat that a missile is a projectile that is propelled that has a guidance system, not just something you control. A TOW missile can be guided by a controller, an air-to-air missile like a Sidewinder can't (it is heat-seeking on its own) but both are missiles. Thus, an ICBM is still a missile because it has on-board guidance (gyroscopic) and can correct its own flight. Bombs can be guided but are not self-propelled, leading to the distinction between iron bombs and smart bombs.

And I think it was adorable that he launched (ha!) into that description with such verve, only to come to a befuddled pause when confronted with ICBMs. This is why I listen to every minute of these things.

In the podcast, Kelly asked why Anne is named Anne (or Ann). Unfortunately, he was asking a couple Protestants! If it has a significance (and I would say it does), then it's a reference to Saint Anne, who is Mary's mother. So she's Jesus' grandmother and, by Catholic tradition, the one who bore Mary, the Immaculate Conception. I will also say that Kelly's identification of John as John the Baptist gains extra (ironic) weight due to his interactions with water and putting people in the water.

Superman is flying faster than the speed of light, and that causes him to go backwards in time. The earth appears to go backwards, but only because we're following him back in time and seeing its normal movement in reverse.

Also, I see from googling that Caleb means "dog"! So maybe now we know what happened to Faro! And now we understand that the whole story is about the last man on earth trying to drag the last woman on earth out of her ever more elaborate fantasy relationship with her dog!

Yeah, when I was hearing Tom insist on post-launch control as the defining characteristic, I began to wonder how that definition would exclude a rocketship with a human pilot but include a laser-guided missile.

Yeah. I mean rockets obviously have guidance systems, even when they are unmanned rockets.

I'm only 30 seconds in to the 3x3 and I'm already glad I didn't submit... mostly because I didn't want to have to preface my picks with a Tom-esque set of definitions and rules.