Qt3 Multiplayer Gaming Tournament #1 - Rise of Nations

Oops, sorry about that. I did sign up for Discourse and Challonge, but I must have screwed up a step? My email is [email protected].

-Tom

I also tried that Discourse join link above earlier, but it said the invite timed out. I am part of the main Qt3 Discourse already, though.

Invite sent. Signing up for Challonge gives you an account, but doesn’t actually register you for the tournament specifically. I just plugged in the email and it seems to have linked it to your account, but I think you need to accept something in an email it just kicked to you before it’s formalized.

Here’s an updated Discord link if you want it. This one doesn’t expire. I’ll swap out the one in the original post.

Okay, I think I’ve undumbed whatever I did. I’m on Discord, I’ve accepted the Challonge invite, I’m in contact with @Kelan for our first game, and I’m ready to submit myself to all our inevitable defeats by @sharpe’s cybernetically augmented Rise of Nations brain.

-Tom

Man, Tom, way to jinx me. I’m pretty rusty so it wasn’t going to be that ugly but now that you’ve raised expectations, I’m going to actually have to practice.

My first opponent is McMaster, so clearly something is rigged here.

I don’t see details about how we are to link up for games. Is one of the players the designated host, or do the players just agree among themselves? Are we supposed to create our own game name / password?

If this info has already been posted, please let me know.

If it has, there are at least two of us who missed it.

Didn’t even think to specify that.

Friend each other on Steam. Agree amongst yourselves who will host, and if for some reason you cannot, then the player listed on the player listed first in the match window on Challenge should host. Create a private game in the Game Browser for 2 players, set up the options as outlined in the first post, then invite the other player to the lobby.

Does that work?

I assume you are going to set up the game between us on Wednesday?

I can handle that.

I got the game installed and running yesterday and played the beginning part of a couple games, but I am really slow and out of practice. I was never great at the game before, but was at least competent, I believe, but wow the game moves so fast on normal speed!

I know from history that Tom is really good at RTSes, so it all depends on how long he waits to come stomp my little civilization.

EDIT: I will try to set up my headset and get in the voice channels to test that out ahead of time. I haven’t played a game online with voice chat myself in a while so my headset is put away somewhere that I hope I can find it!

The nice thing about the tournament format I’m using is that it’s not just a round robin tournament. The first round puts everyone in at random, but every subsequent round is seeded based on the results of the first round to try and put players if comparatively equal performance against one another. The relative balance of your matched games should get better with subsequent rounds, so if you’re concerned about who you drew for the first round, just keep the big picture in mind.

I technically could have kept shuffling the seeds until I got games that looked balanced in round one, but the only three people I’ve actually seen play RoN are me, Tom and Jason (and I know a couple people were playing through the tutorial for the first time last week). I would’ve probably done more harm than good, especially when everything should work itself out over the first week or two.

I think this tournament is a cool idea and I would have joined if I had more time to learn the game. I picked it up last week but it is just too hard to learn in a few days. Maybe for the next tournament you can announce it a few weeks in advance?

That’s the plan. This one is a test of the idea that was pushed out the door during the winter sale using about the most popular RTS on the site that I could think of. If it succeeds, the next incarnation should have about a month of advance notice rather than four days.

But it will probably be a different game. @Sharpe is lobbying for Kohan 2, and I think it might win.
I personally would like to play some Star Wars Battlegrounds, but since there is a brand new mod out, I would prefer to table it until later in the year.

I would also be agreeable to AoE 2 or AoM, as opposed to Kohan 2. But I do think this second tournament should be based on 2-person teams and medium maps rather than 1v1 and small maps.

AoE3 cough cough

Are you in favor of grinding out 40 levels?

Are these all going to be RTS tournaments or are other genres being looked at?