Qt3 Multiplayer Gaming Tournament #1 - Rise of Nations

Good game @Jason_McMaster. That rush did stall me for a time, but I think I just had too much tech and resource led.

I just watched the lego vs McMaster replay and it was pretty interesting. I did not expect to see a wonder strategy win but Lego executed it well. Also, McMaster lost his supply trucks at the crucial moment.

So, what’s happening on the scene? I’m curious if people are enjoying themselves. If they are, I’d love to see this become a regular event and try out some of the different RTS that can withstand the test of time.

I think I’d like it better with a different game, but I don’t mind waiting through RoN if it means we get more of this kind of thing.

I am enjoying it so far, yes.

I hope to join more of the events if we keep going as long as I have the game and don’t fall too far behind the skill curve.

I really like playing in casual tournaments like this. I’ve yet to be convinced that Rise of Nations is the best game, but the learning curve makes it interesting.

I’m enjoying this. I like the format and I also like Rise of Nations.

Well, as you know, there is a lot of discussion about the next game, although @Otagan keeps telling me not to get ahead of myself.

One thing that annoys me about Rise of Nations is that IT IS THE ONLY GAME WITH THE TAB FUNCTION!
I now want that function for all RTS games (I’m looking at you Age of Empires!)

I like participating!

I really like the low-stakes nature of the tournament, because that’s just how I play games these days. It makes it hard to find multiplayer experiences because I’m limited to 1) competitive matchmaking, which sucks more than a giant suckosaurus because everyone is so serious, 2) seeking out dedicated game communities, which tend to be impenetrable and also fairly serious, or 3) trying to set up ad hoc games here or with my friends, which is a crapshoot because trying to schedule anything in 2018 is a nightmare of conflicting work schedules, time zones, and priorities.

So I really like the idea of a tournament like this – It gets everyone on board ahead of time, so scheduling is easy. And it’s a group of people that are fun to play with! Thumbs up from Bradley.

So, everyone is all set for this round? I’m looking forward to seeing the replays.

Belouski and I need to wait until this weekend to do our match (we will get it in before the cutoff, though).

Yes. Richard and I plan to get our match in tomorrow morning.

Tab function?

The tab key in RoN cycles through any buildings you have with available research, so you don’t have to hunt for your temple to research taxation upgrades or your barracks for infantry upgrades. It’s unbelievably useful.

Oh, that’s nice.

Aaaaagh!!!

Kelan and myself just completed our round 2 game.

Don’t leave us in suspense!

Sorry, I won a grindy military victory. Kelan had so many cities and wonders.

Well done, Richard!

I am not too efficient in the early game and fell behind early. Toward the end I tried to found a few more cities off to the side and build a few more wonders to try to see if I could pull off a Wonder victory, but I am not sure how that works or whether you had enough built to stop me.

I made a few huge blunders early and was a little disoriented on that map and put cities in haphazard locations. I also build some lumber mills in really crappy yield locations, but felt rushed as these games tend to do to me :).

A few screenshots of the end:

Summary