Qt3 Multiplayer Gaming Tournament #2 - Offworld Trading Company

After playing this game for a few days to get the hang of it, I look forward to trying it out against human opponents.

I also have an extra key, if someone would like one.

Cool. Hopefully we will get another taker

Aww, hell, I can sign up to lose with grace.

I won a skirmish against the computer a couple of weeks ago, so I’m feeling pretty confident.

I haven’t booted it up in a year.

I am also confident*

*that I’ll lose

I was hoping to accomplish that before the tournament started. It’s not looking good!

Ok, I saw you guys had an odd number of players, so I’ll jump in at the last minute. I’m a bit worried about being able to schedule games, but I’ll do my best.

Buckle up! Your offworld thrill ride is about to begin. Registration is now closed. The seeds were randomly shuffled when the start button was pressed. The tournament is now underway.

Reach out to your assigned teammate (I’ve manually updated anyone’s display name that was not a reasonable approximation of their Qt3 username) to arrange a time for your matches, and remember to report your results per the instructions once completed.

If there are any issues or concerns, please feel free to let me know. Again, the host should either not own Jupiter’s Forge or should have it disabled prior to starting your matches unless both players have agreed to use the DLC. As a reminder, the variable options are:

Location: Mars only (default) OR Random (both players consent)
HQs: Base 4 (default) OR include the Jupiter’s Forge HQs (both players consent)

Location is an option when creating the lobby. The HQs available are determined by what DLC the host has active. Disabling Jupiter’s Forge by unchecking the box next to it in Steam (or not owning it in the first place) will allow for control over this.

Good luck, have fun, and remember: never place friendship above profit.

Invited @gladguy. I won’t be able to play untill what is probably Tuesday for the American continent.

@SadleyBradley and I are playing this afternoon.

Okay so I just beat Managing Expectations on my first attempt after months away from the game. It’s a promising start. I then played a quick 1v1 skirmish and forgot to buy a Patent Lab and lost them all. Despite this, I nearly beat the AI again.

I played a skirmish against the AI. I lost.

I played another, and won fairly cleanly. But I’m still pretty terrible, but @Enidigm claims to be as well. So this ought to be fairly even!

I consistently beat up employee ai, but it is touch and go with manager. Though to my shame I managed to lose a skirmish against Elite as nomad last night.

@vyshka also consistently beats up his QT3 Multiplayer Tournament opponents (so far, anyway).

I have some reading and practice to do.

This was 3 Employee AIs. I got lucky by going scavenger and basically locking down 75% of carbon to start. I was also very aggressive in trying to get the first upgrade to the HQ, since that seems real important.

I still don’t know how the AI can always do it so fast.

Some videos from Philothanic that I enjoyed:

I think the founds video talks about selling off the resources you don’t need and buying into what you need to upgrade so you can upgrade more quickly at the start

@zultar are cubit’s guides still worth reading? It looks like it might have morphed into part of the almanac.

Selling off resources to buy what you need for upgrades is definitely something the AI will do every time (just look at how prices shift when an AI upgrades) that it can take a while for players to figure out. Higher level players will often start a game by - for example - founding expansive, dropping 1 high iron mine and two steel mills, then immediately buying the 80 aluminum they need to upgrade to 2 (selling off things like carbon and silicon in the process).

It’s been a while since I read what Cubit wrote. As a rule of thumb, most of the general advice will still be solid, but the details may have changed a fair amount.

One thing I haven’t thought about, does the adjacency bonus impact the inputs? So if you have 2 steel mills next to each other, do you need more than 2.0 iron going in?

In my shame game last night one thing I did was drop an adrenaline boost on an area that included farms, and I didn’t have enough water coming in apparently to cover that and water was expensive :)