Qt3 Multiplayer Gaming Tournament #2 - Offworld Trading Company

I think so. Match #2 in that list was pretty fun too, until the disconnection!

Totally!

My week was unpredictable too. We should mark it as an intentional draw. If the software allows that.

On that topic, sorry my commitment to this tournament has been so lacklustre. We have a lot going on until the end of April and I should have realised it would be difficult for me to get enough practice time in at this to make a decent show of it.

I can draw the round as well. Doing that earlier in the bracket would’ve fouled up the matching algorithm, but at this stage the impact should be minimal. Will resolve things in a couple of hours when I’m back at my desktop.

Since Richard was offered a free win and volunteered to take a draw, the last remaining match will be marked as a draw accordingly.

This begins the final round of the tournament. The bracket advances three hours early, but the end of the next round will remain the standard time. Once all the results are in for the final round, that’ll be the conclusion of this event (unless you count the Soren game).

As always, the replays for this round can be found here and here.

@RothdaTheTruculent, I’m going to add you on Steam, so feel free to get ahold of me whenever you have time so we can pick out a time to play.

I’m also planning to begin the early stages of prep for the next tournament, which is going to be the strong runner-up to the last poll, Tooth and Tail. More on that sometime during the week.

This should be interesting. @CraigM, when do your kids go to bed?

Cheated by the Swiss system implementation I say! Good luck to everyone in the final round.

A very well played series to @RothdaTheTruculent, who won 2-1 in a set of bizarre games. Market manipulation and lack of claim flexibility brought me to my knees more often than not.

Congratulations on snagging the top spot!

First you get the money… then you get the power… then you use the power to pay off your debt and buy aluminum…so you can finally upgrade to base level 3…

GG Otagan. I was sweating through all 3 of those games.

Usually between 8:30 and 9:30, depending on how difficult my son is deciding to be.

CST

I won’t be around this evening though

Hey @Jason_McMaster, do you not want to play this match as much as I don’t? I’m happy to play it if you do.

Whenever you like!

By the way, @RothdaTheTruculent, you are by no means obligated to actually do this, but @SorenJohnson tried to get ahold of you on Discord with the following:

Congrats to Rothda. I’m literally getting on a plane to GDC in the morning, so it’ll be at least a week before I can play, but feel free to reach out. If we can play during the day, we could put it on the Mohawk stream…

So far as I can tell, you wouldn’t have seen that and I wanted to pass it along.

Yeah, Rothda, feel free to DM me here on Qt3 if you’d like to set this up.

This is so weird: it’s as if the finale took place long before the crowd of losers started to fight it out for the honorary rankings!

From my point of view, the true finale is Rothda/Soren, and that wouldn’t happen until after Round 4 is over, so it all works out in my book.

Mathematically, it’s a quirk of the Swiss system when you have four rounds and sixteen people. If one person goes 4-0, that’s an automatic win. In the last tournament, we hit that point in the third round (where I was 3-0) and the final round was a chance to knock me down from there, at which point things would have been wide open. Here, if someone takes four rounds, that’s a lead nobody can overtake. A fifth round would open that back up, but we’re not out to determine genuine competitive skill or there would need to be a much more in-depth structure with about 11 rounds or a qualifier followed by a more conventional bracket. It’s a rabbit hole with more drawbacks than benefits.

Yeah this was just the result of it being a 4 round swiss with 16 players. Someone was going to go undefeated.

Thanks to @SadleyBradley, @Gladguy, @RothdaTheTruculent, and @Chappers for the fun games, and to @Otagan for running the tournament. It was a great experience.

Double thanks to @Otagan for running everything so smoothly.

It’s my pleasure, as always. Thank you to all of you who are participating, since these events wouldn’t exist without your willingness to jump in.