Qt3 Multiplayer Gaming Tournament #2 - Offworld Trading Company

Final reminder that there are just over 22 hours left in the final round. Five matchups are complete to my knowledge, leaving three outstanding.

I won two matches to one against @geggis.
The first match, I was an ass: I nuked his carbon production to smitherins.
The second match, he was an ass: he kept power surging my whole operations. I was never a menace to his water privatization enterprises.
The third match, we both fell asleep! This probably ended by day 50. I totally messed up my early game, geggis went to play another game in the middle game, I bet some experienced player would tell us how we could have eaten each other’s heart out much earlier!
Anyway geggis is such a great person. I’d bromance him. Excepting for those power surges, #$&*!

And thank you for organizing the tourney @Otagan: no way I’d ever solve the complex puzzle game behind setting this thing up properly :O

Haha, thank you! <3

Great games and wow, that last one was difficult to get off the ground. Everything seemed to be worthless after the initial found. I just got into gear as you were about to buy me out! Well played, sir!

Thanks for arranging this @Otagan, it’s been a blast and just the spark I needed to get back into OTC.

I won two to one against @Richard_Holt

Good games, Richard!

Yeah, thanks McMaster. It was fun.

And thanks everyone for the tournament. Especially Otagan for organising everything.

this.

All too happy to do it. Thanks again to each of you, as well.

Bracket is updated. Enidigm/JoshL is the last matchup.

Enidigm wins vs JoshL 2-0.

The first game was a real nailbiter, with a bad start leading JoshL to nearly buying me out with literally seconds to spare - i was crash selling everything i had on had to stave off defeat. I clawed back with an Offworld Market and a ton of black market shenanigans. The best game i’ve had so far! Both of us picked the exact same spot twice in a row. GG @JoshL!

Thanks for Otagan for organizing and putting the tourney together! It opened my eyes to OTC, i really like the game now.

Thanks @Otagan , I will beat you at a game of something one day.

Anybody want a game of OTC now?

I really ought to do some work at some point in my life, but i’m still around if you want a game!

Steam ID - theselfishgene

That brings the fourth and final round to a close. Replay packs are available here and here, as always, and are archived on the Discord server if you want to lurk about.

Congratulations are again in order for @RothdaTheTruculent, the winner of the bracket. I’ve been running through that last game in my head from time to time over the last week, picking my myriad of mistakes apart, which is a testament to how thoroughly I enjoyed those last few games. Very well done.

I ultimately ended in second place, meaning I have some fighting to do next time around to get back up top. We’ll see how that works out.

@vyshka took the third place position based on arcane tiebreaking maths, so credit where credit is due. @legowarrior and @Enidigm also put forward equivalent match records worthy of note.

Yet again, I genuinely thank every one of you for your participation. As long as people are willing to put themselves out there and try their hand at a bit of human opposition, I’m willing to keep this thing running. You all are awesome.

There will be a three week hiatus until the next tournament begins with Tooth and Tail. The thread is open with signups available, and there’s a nice chunk of time to get yourselves acquainted with the game if you are so inclined. If that’s not your thing, then there will be another round of voting sometime before that tournament ends to pick the next candidate. From what I hear, there’ll be a new turn-based mech game that we might allow into the running as an option. Time will tell.

In the meantime, there are always more colonies on Mars that need resources, and there is always a need for brave souls willing to step forward and take up the challenge. Be courageous, be ambitious, and most of all, be profitable.

I will be streaming my Bo3 games with @RothdaTheTruculent tomorrow (Tuesday) at 2pm ET at https://www.twitch.tv/mohawkgames. I haven’t played much Offworld recently, so… we’ll see how it goes!

I’ll have to catch a VOD, unfortunately, but that sounds like it should be good.

Reminder: @RothdaTheTruculent and I will be playing in one hour at https://www.twitch.tv/mohawkgames!

Excellent games! I should really watch more good players play…

Oh and I should say congrats @RothdaTheTruculent for getting to play Soren and put up such a good fight!

Ok, the tournament is fully finished now. In a shocking upset, Soren Johnson managed to beat me in a 2-1 victory. In both victories he made use of Off World Trading centers, which I think really need to be re-balanced. They are way too good when other people are using them.

Thanks for playing Soren!

And thank you Otagan for all your work in managing this tournament. Like you said, the tournament really sparked a new appreciation for the game.

VOD for now https://www.twitch.tv/videos/243537699?t=4m40s

Oh, and I’d like to make a special note for game 3 of that series. I picked the robotic faction to make use of the low electronics price and plentiful metal. Unfortunately, I forgot to take into account that I had forgotten how to play the robots. I plunked down the metal mine away from my refineries, and from literally the first 2 seconds of that game I was off to a terrible start. I’d also forgotten that dynamic where the robots don’t need water, food, oxygen, or fuel, but they still end up needing to supply it to the market in order to succeed. Boooo. I always just want to make my robot Eden with that faction, and inevitably I end up servicing the fleshy colonists instead.

Humans ruin everything. You got some achievements out of it though :)

…and here’s the video of yesterday’s games: