Qt3 vs. GG BF1942 tournement

GG has rallied some forces for a fight in BF1942. A few members here have expressed interest. What would be a good time to play? I think we might have someone that can run a dedicated server. I figure random maps for an hour or two in Conquest mode would be good. Let me know what would be a good time and setup suggestions!

Thanks!

Oop… I forgot to log in. It’s Rubyeye.

Do they need to do this right away? Tonight at midnight? Or should we build up some excitement and say next Friday at 11pm? Game on!

I would love to play, but I just got the game, and I haven’t even played it online yet. I am trying to learn it through the “single player” game. I’m getting there…but I have NO idea how people can hit anything in those planes.

…but I have NO idea how people can hit anything in those planes.
If you’re talking about dropping bombs, I’d recommend training with in the behind-aircraft-camera view. Just create a local multiplayer sessions and you have enough time to get used to the vehicles without getting trouble with the enemy.

Robert, a piece of advice: screw the single-player game. The single-player game sucks. The AI is so awful that the outcome of any given match is essentially random. You’ll learn almost nothing by playing it that you couldn’t learn better playing online (better because you can see what more experienced players do, and learn from them).

They shouldn’t have even included a single player game, really.

Hey Rob,
What time zone? Friday might be kewl. If you are Eastern, that might be great. Let me know.

I disagree with Ben 100%. With the latest patches single player is fun. Not the same as multi-player, but fun and quick.

I also disagree with third person view for planes, if you are going to practice, first person, remove the cockpit. Once you get that down, you can strafe and bomb at the same time and are extremely deadly. But you need a joystick. And once you have the joystick, map the cockpit view key, the behind the plane view key and the map key to the cockpit. friendly fire is hard to avoid in the planes, even harder in desert combat where you are travelling so fast.

Chet

Me too. I have played almost no multiplayer BG1942, other than some LAN coop one afternoon.

It’s probably not as fun as a good multiplayer crew, but it’s definitely still a great game, and you don’t have to deal with morons, or people screaming insults at you because you don’t know how, or where to go, to grab a flag when you’re just learning how to play the game.

To qualify my statement, I haven’t even tried the single player since I reviewed the game last year. I disliked the solo game so much then that I never bothered to fire it up again.

Even so, there’s no reason to hold back from playing online. That’s the real BF1942 experience.

Yes, Eastern. It seems like a good time so that the shoot clubbers out in L.A. will have a better chance of being available. I can go from 11pm to 2:45 pm ( :wink: ) no problem.

I’m in. Say when.

Me too. I have played almost no multiplayer BG1942, other than some LAN coop one afternoon.

It’s probably not as fun as a good multiplayer crew, but it’s definitely still a great game, and you don’t have to deal with morons, or people screaming insults at you because you don’t know how, or where to go, to grab a flag when you’re just learning how to play the game.[/quote]

Yeah, I still play BF1942 once in a while but only single player. MP is just too much of a hassle. At risk of sounding too much like mtkafka I’d really like to see a sequel that incorporated more of a single-player game with OFP options. I don’t mind arcady gameplay so much in an FPS but I would like to see AI vehicles and units show a little more doctrine and teamwork. Singleplayer is pretty much a brawl, a killer and fun brawl, but a brawl though it’s fairly easy to get into immersion because the AI doesn’t hunker down at ammo dumps and grenade-spam, do crazy aerobatic paradropping stunts, or (often) camp spawn points. While this is fun, doubtless, for MP folks I’m more drawn to games that manage to create a somewhat convincing illusion. AI tends to do a better job of this than people do even when it’s not doing much at all.

Question: do we here at Qt3 mind being showcased as “EVIL”? That’s how the GGers see this battle, their good versus our evil. I figured since we have wumpus that this was probably fairly accurate, and that they should feel free to keep believing it.

I don’t mind being evil, whatever makes them feel better about the fact that they spend time on the GG forum is fine with me. As long as I’m around when the fight happens, I’m in.

I gotta admit, I don’t find the multiplayer in this game annoying at all (though I have seen some weird parachute stunts, I have to admit). I don’t mind the grenade spamming at all, especially on maps like Husky (they put those ammo boxes at the forward sandbag positions for exactly that reason, I’d wager… if I were a real soldier sitting next to a crate full of grenades and facing a beachhead assault, I’d be throwing them as fast as I possibly could, too). If nothing else, grenade spammers are pretty easy to kill.

You folks avoiding the MP portion of the game are missing out. You should really give it a chance. BF1942 on a 64-player server is the best multiplayer experience out there.

Do I have to somehow activate my joystick to fly planes with it? I tried to use it last night, but I got no response from the game. Should it automatically work?

Also, I am getting better at the game, but I don’t understand a few things. For instance, why wouldn’t everyone be the anti-tank infantry, since they are so good at blowing up vehicles? What’s the point of the assault guys? I get medics and engineers…even scouts, to some degree. But the assault guys seem useless. If the game isn’t too soon, or if we have a rematch, I would like to play. I just don’t want to drag anyone down.

Anti-tank infantry aren’t so hot against other infantry. The rocket launcher doesn’t do splash damage so you have to get a direct hit, and if you don’t it takes a while to reload.

Hey Robert, the assault is what I play when I really want to get a high kill score. The antitank is nearly useless against infantry, especially in a melee. The medic is great close in, but nothing beats the all out killing power of the assault. Close range, far away, in a mad scrap indoors, or in a firefight from cover, nothing infantry based carries the multipurpose power of the BAR or STG. And, 2 assaults can take out nearly any tank, using cover and grenades. And most importantly, score-wise, you can take a spawn better than most, nailing guys on the fly, clearing out bunkers where your vehicle may not be able to manuever around.

Here is the key to being good with an assault: short, controlled bursts. Repeat after me: short, controlled bursts.

To add to rob’s tip - map kneel to the space bar. Kneel - controlled burst - move. Kneel - controlled burst - move. Let the other idiots spray and jump around.

Chet