Quacks and Quack medicine

Google Prilosec and calcium. It seems to block calcium absorption. People who take it should probably take supplements. I’ve cut down to every other day.

I have been to chiropractors for some injuries. To be very honest after each treatment I would feel immediate and very drastic reduction in pain levels. If it did nothing I would have stopped going.

I do take extra calcium for other reasons anyway.

Not the most scientific study since I think it’s a reasonable conclusion that someone taking a PPI is already less healthy than someone taking an H2. Thus they are already more likely to die. It was still enough to make me question using it (along with my increase dependency on it).

I’ve been on this snake oil crap for a little over a month now and I can honestly say that there is a noticeable decrease in my heartburn and a drastic decrease in my reflux.

Well, they are comparing mortality rates between those taking H2 blockers and those taking PPIs. It’s important to note, though, that this is mortality from all causes and that these are veterans (the majority of which were old and white).

I have no idea what decision-making goes into prescribing one or the other at VA facilities.

Another interesting thing is that those that started on H2 and switched to a ppi changed groups, which may indicate more severe illness (and a higher likelihood of mortality). I don’t see any mention of adjusting for that, nor do I think they could have very well, given the limited data they seem to have n the patients (e.g. they don’t know cause of death)

And of course, we don’t know why therapy continued for those that took it for a prolonged period. Was the medicationtaken stroctly to control heartburn (like me) or for something more serious? There’s no way to know,

Don’t get me wrong. It’s interesting. A lot of people take these drugs and it should be looked at from a public health perspective, but this is far from alarming, imo, on an individual level.

I went on a promising first date. (Yay!) But at dinner “the horrors of lectin” came up, followed by “you should really make sure to take the seeds out of your tomatoes.” When I explained my tomatoes came diced in a can, there was stunned silence followed by “that will increase your estrogen levels.” Um, ok. So that was fun, but everything else was sincerely fun. So should I run for the hills or is there any sanity to all those thoughts—quackery or not?

Uh, sounds like a bad proposition. I’m always amazed the amount of conflict food can bring in a couple. I mean, that stuff is everywhere!. It’s especially true if you are difficult or are with someone difficult for whatever reason.

Isn’t that the same stuff Tom Brady has been spouting? I’d say run for the hills or else get ready for the Super Bowl.

With the line of lectins one can box themselves out of being able to eat most of what humans have depended on since the dawn of civilization. All dairy products, legumes, grains, nuts, and lots of other stuff. If you don’t want to give up anything off that list, or enjoy eating, then challenges would be in your future.

The estrogen thing is referring to BPA, which acts like estrogen in your system. There was a significant flap about it 6 years ago, but to date there still hasn’t been a significant finding of danger from it in the quantities that surround us.

That said, there’s reason to suppose that the piles of preservatives and oddball chemicals finding their ways into our Western diets are doing us wrong. There are some diseases on the rise that can’t just be attributed to overeating: autism, asthma, allergies, breast cancer, and so on. Something is going wrong, and that is one factor that has correlated with it.

My doctor is a DO and I’ve never done anything crazy. He acts exactly like the MD before him.

That’s the wiki for the medicine one and not the quack one. In fact, it even says it ar the top. If you read further down, the manipulation stuff is not very popular and most train basically the same as an MD.

You have all confirmed my thoughts. Thanks!

I would have thought there would be less risk of BPA contamination in canned tomatoes (cans /= plastic) than non-canned tomatoes, which are often going to be packaged or carried in plastic.

The cans are often lined with BPA-containing plastic. Any plastic involved in packaging fresh tomatoes is not heated (which is where the danger of releasing BPA is maximized).

Apparently soup is the worst offender:

This article about a despicable person:

led to an even more horrible person that fits this thread:

Belle Gibson, 25, gained fame in Australia after she claimed to have beaten brain cancer using natural remedies and nutrition.

There’s been some interesting articles over the years about Munchausen syndrome. There are some weird, weird cases where it isn’t entirely a monetary scam, but a compassion scam.

These do sound like money scams though.

She is a horrible person. She never apologized, and she caused at least one death. She should have spent time in jail.

For her involvement in duping the family of nine-year-old Joshua Schwarz, who lost his battle with a terminal brain tumour earlier this year, she was slapped with a (£90,000) $150,000 fine.

Oh is THAT where I’ve seen people take seeds out of tomatoes from? For health reasons?

Tomato seeds and the gel is where most of the flavor is too, so… No, I actually try to be as careful as possible when cutting up tomatoes to keep the gel.

Well, the good news is that there’s probably not a single molecule of drooling pooch in those pills.

Homeopathy is 100%, pure placebo. The usual dilution rate is the equivalent of less than one drop in a pool, sometimes even less than one atom in the universe, and I doubt there is much quality control to ensure exact dosage. And remember, homeopathy says the less there is of something, the more effective it is.

Anyway, where would they even get a rabid dog? They’ll probably claim one drop of water touched a dog a hundred years ago and just, y’know, remembers.