Quacks and Quack medicine

According to homeopathy drinking tap water will cure anything, since everything in the world has been in the water. No need to pay for it.

This is what I’ve always thought as well; nobody is putting .001% of anything in the “formula”. It’s either just colored and/or flavored and/or textured syrup or sugar pills (whatever is easiest and cheapest and looks/feels like it might work). Nobody is even bothering to put a few atoms of whatever in there because nobody is ever going to find it even if they look for it because the amount would be too small.

Besides, to get “a few atoms” of something in there, they would need very specialized equipment to measure the atoms, otherwise they’d be putting “too much” in there. And I guarantee they are not using highly specialized equipment to make this stuff. Texture and packaging are the two main ingredients.

For a short, ignorant time I was interested in homeopathy. I went to a shop to buy two “tinctures”. I got one. I was told that the other one was “too strong” for me to use without professional guidance. The water was too strong.

Sounds like one of those weight loss commercials where they tell you not to take more than the recommended dose of the super mega pill or you might lose TOO MUCH weight.

That was my concern too. Animal abuse so they can milk them? and purposefully infecting them? Because rabid animals don’t live long.

That’s not how they purport to do it though. They take a sensible amount of the “active ingredient” and put it in some water. Then they dilute it. Then they dilute it again. Then they dilute it again. And so on. Also “succussion”, ie hitting the container, to reinforce the water’s “memory” of the ingredient or some bollocks like that.

They presumably only ever needed one - that would be a lifetime supply for the entire planet. Could have been 100 years ago, even.

Most likely, though - someone smart enough to know they could make money off of flim-flam just typed ‘rabid dog’ on a label.

I stand corrected.

However they claim to do it, I think this is the most likely scenario.

Ughhhh! I can’t believe this is even a question! And the fact naturopaths claim they have the same type of schooling as medical doctors is incredible insulting to real doctors. Any moron can become a naturpath.

I can. And to be truthful, I can sort of see where these people are coming from: less drugs, more nature. Which I have no problem with as a basic philosophy.

However, many of them go too far. The lady they spoke to in that article (the one in the photo there) seemed to take a much more reasonable stance, saying she recommended all vaccinations required by the CDC:

I have lots of problems with their philosophy. The artificial dichotomy between “natural” and “chemical” is one of the biggest staples of anti-intellectualism. I’m sick of people behaving as if natural products weren’t made of molecules or something. These guys even carry that charade in their name.

It’s probably one of the greatest ironies of our modern world that we live surrounded in man-made materials and chemicals that make our life so simple and safe that some people have convinced themselves that nature is the source of all good stuff.

Anyway, these naturopaths seems to like “chemical” medicine just fine if they’re the ones making a buck from it.

I always liked that quote:

I just moved to a new house. To close out the old apartment, I hired a cleaning service. The top-rated one in my area promised a “chemical free cleaning”. I’m guessing that means just scrubbing dry surfaces? I opted for a different company.

Fair enough. I guess I’m just not up on what their philosophy actually is. I have not examined this enough yet (for example, to they all subscribe to the homeopathy crap?). The lady in that article seemed reasonable enough to me, and didn’t say anything about dilution-type medicine.

I’ve gone to regular MD’s my whole life, and consider an MD before anything else. However, I also don’t see my MD enough, primarily because it’s so damned expensive, even with my insurance, which is also very expensive, even with the high deductible.

Thus, I can see the appeal an ND (naturopathic doctor) would have to those without any insurance; those people who would otherwise not see a doctor at all.

The biggest problem is naturopath schooling certification ie. pay us to certify you and we certify you.

Here’s how messed up it is. A couple who are friends with my parents have eschewed normal medicine. Not because they can’t afford it, but because they don’t trust modern doctors (they’re extremely right-wing). So he has neuropathy and other ailments that effect his nerves, muscles, and he may be a diabetic. He goes to a naturopath “ND” who connects him to some electronic device that sends mild electricity into him. She then gets some magic readout that tells him every single imbalance in this body. All he needs is xxxxxx medicine she just happens to sell.

So he corals me and tells me I need to go to her and she can probably cure my Cystic Fibrosis and lung issues if I just do what she suggests. A naturopath is using something akin to a Scientology device to diagnose diseases.

Another school teaches this baloney as part of the ND program:
Iridology (study of the eye’s iris) you will learn

• How to identify the genetic strengths and weaknesses within organs, glands and tissues
  • Tendencies towards tissue irritation and inflammation
  • How to find the potential ability of an organ’s reaction in the presence of illness
  • Discernment of familial patterns of illness including digestive issues, blood sugar tendencies, blood anomalies and heart issues
  • How to locate potential nervous system imbalances, spinal subluxations, circulatory disturbances, connective tissue weakness and more

If they want to be taken seriously, maybe they should remove magic and flying unicorns from their coursework. At this rate you’re better off going to a body modification artist for your stitches vs. a naturopath. At least they’ll use sterile technique and not try to tell you your water levels are off so here’s a $120 bottle of water to fix that (chiropractor did that to me).

Thanks, Jeff for those examples. If those are indicative of what most ND’s do, then yes, that’s pure quackery.

I guess I was under the impression that they had some kind of actual basic medical training, and that they use that in addition to a philosophy of prevention to give you a very basic care. Also they tell you not smoke and stay away from alcohol, which of course these days is just common sense.

So I thought there was a difference between an ND and someone who promotes homeopathy. But it sounds to me, from what you’re saying, that ND’s have a wide range of what they believe and/or practice, so your actual treatment results would vary widely, depending largely on which ND you decided to see.

In other words, no real standards that they adhere to.

By accident I hired one of those, or at least a similar one. It was a lone guy with a spray bottle and a vacuum. I needed STEAM cleaning, and wasn’t there until just as he finished and was leaving (it was a new house at the time.)

The spray bottle had orange and something else in it, based on the smell. And I still had to turn around and hire a carpet steaming company. My bad for seeing “carpet cleaning service,” and not the fine print.

This is the real problem, imho. It reminds me of the “bent pen” chiropractors back in the day. I’d assumed they were all nutjobs and scam artists until I actually went to a decent, honest one who not only sold me on the benefits but also was EXTREMELY clear about the limitations. I’m sure some ND’s do good work. However, there’s no surefire way for laypeople to discern what’s good work and what’s quackery. To me, that’s a great benefit of standardized mainstream medicine.

I tried to look up bent pen chiropractic and I just see ads for selling bent pens. Can you talk about what this technique entails.

LOL - back in the “mall era” of shopping, some adventurous marketing chiropractors would walk the malls spreading snake oil-level lies and passing out bent pens with their contact information printed on them. To be fair, a bent pen doesn’t indicate quackery, but the popularity of this marketing technique coincided with the highest level of quackery in the field.