Quadcopters, drones, and other RC fun

No idea but I suspect it would be fine. Sounds like you need to science the shit out of this, my man… make it happen!

A few things I learned as a 100% n00b drone pilot, for that UDI U818A model we have

• Start indoors, I think, in any room with about 4-5 feet of clear area. We had some (cough) bad luck learning the absolute basics while starting outdoors, and there’s the wind factor too. Those rotor protectors work!

• Remember the white rotors are the “front” of the drone when operating. There’s also a bright white LED in the front, and the LED lights underneath are blue (front) / red (rear) to hint about orientation as well.

• Another thing we kinda learned the hard way: follow the manual instructions on order of power-up. To launch: power up remote, then the drone. To shut down: power down drone, then the remote. Opposite order.

• Mode 1 (beginner mode) limits how hard you can tilt the drone in any direction and is the default. We were wondering why we could barely move forward outside in a breeze and then I realized why. Switched to mode 2 (regular mode) and bam, now we’re cooking.

• Grit and sand is hell on the gears that drive the props. I didn’t even realize this until we were testing on a baseball field and the props started acting a bit weird. I removed the tiny bits of grit in the gears with a knife and it’s OK so far. It does come with replacement gears, but only the tiny ones (there are two, one large, one tiny, per rotor). It also includes 4 replacement props!

• There is an obvious beeping low battery alert on the controller, so you’ll know when to swap batteries (the kit comes with one extra). Extra batteries were super cheap, for $18 I got a 4 port charger and 5 more batteries. Very easy to swap out as well. We got about the promised 8 minutes of runtime per battery.

We have yet to use the video feature, I slapped the included 4gb SD card in there (they also include a USB reader) and we’ll give that a shot later.

Anyway this UDI U818A is great fun for me and my 8 year old son… at $47 I think it’s a fantastic deal and I heartily recommend it for any other drone n00bs like myself!