Quake 4 details

But how’s the soda machine technology?

Oh, okay then. That’s better.

Quake II was boring and stupid and I hate stroggos, so I’m not looking forward to this. Halo was basically Quake 2.5 anyway - do we really need another one of these pretending-to-be-an-unstoppable-space-marine-helps-me-to-forget-about-how-much-of-a-pathetic-loser-I-am-in-real-life games?

Yes someone else who I agree with on Quake II. To this day I still see people post that Quake 2 is one of the best single player FPS games they ever played and for the life of me I can’t see why. I mean multiplayer was decent but the single player, i just found it boring and stupid.

so I’m not looking forward to this. Halo was basically Quake 2.5 anyway

I am looking forward to this, at least knowing what I know now. My opinion of course could change as more info on the game comes available.

• do we really need another one of these pretending-to-be-an-unstoppable-space-marine-helps-me-to-forget-about-how-much-of-a-pathetic-loser-I-am-in-real-life games?

Well I prefer it to another pretending-to-be-a-unstoppable-guy-with-sword-who-collects-stuff-and-stat-builds-all-day-to-forget-about-how-much-of-a-pathetic-loser-I-am-in-real-life.

Look, can we just agree that everything sucks?

If we did that, then we might as well go ahead and close all non-pr0n sections of the interweb.

So what you’re saying is Doom 3 should have been Quake 4 and Quake 4 should be Quake 4 too? Should the next Wolfenstein game also be Quake 4?[/quote]
no, he means that the gameplay apparently comes closer to what a remake of the original doom games (which were primarily focused on action and fun, although they could sometimes be scary) should be in his (and my) opinion.

Unless you were trying to be funny…

Didnt like quake 2’s singleplayer that much, but it was better than quake 1s - best multiplayer ever, arguably better than quake 3 or unreal tournament (!)

I have high hopes for this because Raven knows what its doing… please no sonic mayhen though, good god that was the wrost videogame soundtrack in history

So let’s get this straight: Doom 3 should have been like Quake 4 is supposedly going to be, which is a sequel to Quake 2, which you thought was awful except for the multiplayer?

Exactly now your starting to understand.

Edit: Explanation. Gameplay wise Quake 4 doesn’t sound like Quake 2 at all. As Theodore Rex DX said it sounds more like Halo. Quake 2’s gameplay was very basic, the monsters had little to no AI (sometimes they ducked!!) there was no friendly ai at all, there were never large groups of monsters like in earlier Doom games.

From the description of Quake 4 it has features that should make for much better firefights than Quake2/Doom3. Like friendly AI which means there should be at least some level of basic AI in the game to make for fun firefights. Of course I could be wrong, the features of Doom 3 sound great too, (dark scary enviroments, monsters jumping out at you, etc…) its all in the execution really but that can be said for pretty much every game.

we apparently do

Sometimes when I feel bad for some reason I like to play something and forget for awile about whatever bothers me. I think it’s preferable to alcohol or drugs, but maybe it isn’t :?

Heck, I just got done with Quake 2, so a sequel sounds pretty good. Now I’m halfway through Sin. After Heretic 2, I might work my way up to games made this century.

I suppose I am cheating a little with UT2004, but it’s so nice to play with dumbed-down bots who don’t hand my ass to me every time…

Personally, I wouldn’t call Unreal’s bots “dumbed-down”.

Easier to handle, yes, mostly because they’re less machine-like in their precision and act more like other human players.

For some reason many gamers have the idea that a better AI is one that always beats you, whereas I’ve always felt a better AI is one that’s more human, and therefore you’re able to beat it using the same techniques you would on another human player, rather than the usual anti-bot techniques we use now.

Well I hid behind a pillar on the final level of Q3A and shot the BFG into the ground whenever I heard the bot using the jump pad. The bot always spawned in the same place and used the same route, so it was easy to get a perfect win over it in any difficulty level.

That’s realistic, isn’t it?

I think he was saying that he dumbs them down, i.e. throttles down the difficulty.

Well, I just saw the scans floating around the net and I can officially confirm that Quake 4 is Doom III. And thus a new, weirder chapter unfolds in the Quake 4-is-what-Doom 3-should-have-been wars.

You, sir, are absolutely correct. Even on “Novice,” the last bot-match in single player kicks my ass. I am spectacularly mediocre and okay with it.

Heh, so if I’ve beaten Xaero on nightmare, what does that say about me?

Quake II has a total nostalgia thing going for me as it was basically the first FPS I played, with my first 3d accelerator (Voodoo Banshee woot!) and first online CTF play. All left a huge impression. I understand that the game isn’t actually that great. Its got sentimental value for me. I fire it up and play through it once a year or so. The Quake II Evolved mod makes it look quite nice.

That said, I’m not that excited about Quake 4/IV.

Quite a bit, actually.