Quake Champions

I find myself in a weird sort of withdrawal waiting for the weekend so I can play this again, so they’re doing something right. I’m guessing now that I have finally started to get the hang of the strafe jumping and settling into a particular sensitivity it’s just a lot more fun.

It’s a bit weird that their media facing stuff has been mostly about champion and map videos because this is obviously still a real beta rather than a fluffy gift to keep fans busy until release. That being true though makes me hopeful that if they can fix up the important bits that it has a chance to be somewhat popular.

When everything is working it feels damn good and every match for me seems to have at least one squeal out loud crazy shot or encounter that keeps me going back for more.

Thankfully I’m certain I’m not the only one with that reaction.

I really want it to do decently so I can watch tournaments again where you get the whole speed chess with rockets vibe.

Updated for E3.

They added three new maps, a new weapon and wolfenstein guy as a new character. Also a custom mode for playing with friends.

Some other tweaks also and I believe it will now be available all the time instead of just weekends.

Devs had an ama this week and posted answers today.

Pretty solid. Especially the part about it coming to Steam in the future. As long as they can hammer out the netcode and tech issues, the rest sounds good. Keeping my fingers crossed because I’ve become quite a fan of the mechanics, the stuff under the hood just needs some love.

Under the hood just got some love.

Projectile delay is basically fixed, so rockets feel fantastic now and nail gun is actually usable. Registration in general feels tighter.

Lockbox map is running better and they added the two other newest maps to the dm/tdm pool as well.

Clutch now has a strafe dodge and can end his shield ability to fire off a laser for a bit.

Overall even though it’s still beta, it is starting to shape up nicely and play better than ever.

So it looks like Quake is not making the Lawbreakers mistake.

Anyone else playing this? I’m finding it an absolute BLAST to play, I bought the champions pack. 2v2 seems a bit dead, which is a shame, but it could be a matchmaking bug. Anyway, I think this is one of the best MP shooters around right now

Surprise! It left early access today.

Watching the finals was entertaining.