Quake Enhanced from Machine Games and Nightdive

Was inadvertently revealed in a Quakecon note that was quickly deleted.

Quake is back, in this special stream John Linneman from Digital Foundry talks to Jerk Gustafsson of Machine Games about the title’s iconic legacy and what it meant to both of them. The pair will also discuss the additional content Machine Games have contributed to this revitalized edition.

Now, a listing the in ESRB makes it semi-official.

Remake the world!

Huh. The gameplay is still solid and doesn’t need too much tweaking. The graphics can already be upgraded quite a bit. This is going to be a tough sell. But it is Machinegames, and it’s probably coming to consoles so I can actually play it on the big screen TV. Hmmm, okay maybe not that tough a sell after all.

It may only be a light revamp, like the recent Unity ports of Doom that integrate Bethesda.net stuff and the mod menu. MachineGames did release a free 20th Anniversary episode, DOPA, back in 2016.

Yes, that episode is good, but tough. I’m still making my way through it.

But yeah, even if it’s just the Doom-type updates, I’ll probably still get it for a console. Again.

Quake-Con’s schedule says this starts in about 7 minutes. I bet they’ll announce it in this segment, since someone from MachineGames is joining Hines.

Well this stream is kind of a train wreck, isn’t it?

Good trailer. Surprise at the end: “Available Now”.

But also … “next gen upgrade coming soon”

Not super enthused at the idea of it all being Crossplay though. I don’t think I want to play the console version against PC players using their fancy mouse and keyboard.

4 player split screen looks very promising though.

Free update if you own it on Steam, at least.

Oh hey, the console version launching at only $10. And it’s part of Game Pass of course, on Xbox and PC.

It’s first party now, I’d be surprised if it wasn’t released on Game Pass.

So wait, what’s actually new? It looks like GLQuake, maybe with added color lighting?

Looks like they nailed the feel of it. Fantastic.

Well yeah, in that it’s just GLQuake. It looks absolutely identical, same textures, same texture filtering, models look the same, just with added colored lighting from Quake 2. It’s a port with some minor enhancements, not a remaster.

I guess it’s neat that you can play Quake 1 on current-gen consoles now? Was that not already possible? OK, then neat, I guess.

Achievements, a new episode, and co-op.

I wonder what they could possibly add in the next-gen upgrades. I bet it’s already 60fps on Xbox/PS4 versions released today, and I can’t imagine how they would enhance the visuals.

I have like zero nostalgia for Quake single player. Game was kind of mess aesthetically with a mishmash of designs. The multiplayer and mods was really what made it interesting IMO.

OK. It’s neat that consoles can play Quake. This isn’t anything approaching a big deal, though, like a remake or even remaster would be.

Achievements should never be listed as an enhancement or feature IMO.