Quandry

Are people who hate Lucy Lawless xenaphobes?

Homophobes, maybe.

I hate Lucy Lawless (as an actor) but I don’t see how that implies I am homophobic.

Voltaic, you need to get over your fear of women in leather doing the wild thing with each other in New Zealand.

We’re here, we’re amazons, get over it.

Pussy is a beautiful thing.

I don’t hate Lucy Lawless, but I don’t like her very much. Why I don’t like her much? She called those who wanted Xena and Gabrielle to live happily ever after “lovey dovey fans” and bad-mouthed what a lot of people thought was the whole point with the show.
So as can be seen from the nerdy response above, I don’t think it makes me a homo- or a xenaphobe.

That, my anonymous little friend, is a hard point to argue against.

From the TV interview with her that I saw on Conan O’Brien after the show ended, I got the impression that she felt like she had been screwed by the writers. She had signed on to play a character one way with the character’s sexuality left ambiguous, so that the character’s gay fans could play along without alienating straight fans or wee tykes who don’t care about sex, then the finale went and made her an out-and-out lesbian deeply in romantic love with Gabrielle. I got the impression that she hadn’t thought the character was a lesbian, and that this finale was something of a downer for her. Not because she’s anti-lesbian, but because she wanted the character to remain open for all sorts of fans.

From the TV interview with her that I saw on Conan O’Brien after the show ended, I got the impression that she felt like she had been screwed by the writers. She had signed on to play a character one way with the character’s sexuality left ambiguous, so that the character’s gay fans could play along without alienating straight fans or wee tykes who don’t care about sex, then the finale went and made her an out-and-out lesbian deeply in romantic love with Gabrielle. I got the impression that she hadn’t thought the character was a lesbian, and that this finale was something of a downer for her. Not because she’s anti-lesbian, but because she wanted the character to remain open for all sorts of fans.

But the thing is, they did nothing in the finale in regards to their relationship that they had done again and again in previous episodes. I guess it’s sort of wrong to be upset with an actress who doesn’t watch her show that intently, but still.
Oh, and everyone got screwed by that finale. “How can I hurt the audience”, indeed!

Wait a minute, Xena is gay?

I don’t have TV, so I’m genuinely asking. That really hot chick dressed in leather, played by Lucy Lawless, is an actual bona fide lesbian warrior princess kind of dealie?

-Tom

You don’t have a TV? How do you play console games? Monitor?

I think Tom means he doesn’t have cable if I remember from a prior thread correctly. That is why he doesn’t watch the Sopranos.

-DavidCPA

You don’t have a TV? How do you play console games?

DavidCPA’s right. When I say I don’t have TV, I mean I don’t get those waves they shoot through underground cable and beam into the air that bring things like UPN and Crossing Jordan into your house.

I do, however, have a very nice TV set which I use to watch movies, play SSX Tricky, and reinforce the fact that I just don’t get Animal Crossing.

But this still doesn’t answer my question as to what’s all this about Xena being gay? Say it isn’t so.

-Tom

Here ya go, Tom.

Crap! I mean, here ya go, Tom.

Crap! I mean, here ya go, Tom.

Oh. So it’s all subtext, huh? Yawn. I can provide that myself.

I was hoping maybe there was, you know, like kissing and stuff. Forget The Sopranos, that’s the sort of thing that would make me get TV! Heck, if I thought there were warrior princesses kissing each other in it, I’d play Animal Crossing all the time.

-Tom

What!? You didn’t here about that? Animal Crossing was chock full of warrior princesses! If you have a GBA, a GBA link cable, three wavebirds, you finish Metroid Fusion on “MiyamotoMode” and collect all four Warrior Princess Tokens from the Wandering Carpet Salescamel, then you turn all three wavebirds to channel 3, hold down all three A buttons simultaneously while holding down the B button on the end screen of Metroid Fusion, this unlocks a mini-game with 100 levels. Once you beat the mini game on your GBA, you plug it back into the GC and again hold down the specified buttons. This unlocks “Warrior Princess Island” in AC.

It’s a great little secret area. Nothing but Warrior Princesses. If you give them fruit or furniture, they kiss.

Plenty of subtext, but I will try to recall the lip-lip contact in the show (I’d do number of times they said “I love you” or somesuch to each other, but they’re innumerable).
Well, the on in Is There A Doctor In The House only had mouth-to-mouth, but that was only for medical purposes. Of course, in A Greater Good, a few episodes before, I think Gabrielle kissed a faux-dead Xena.
In season two we got the episode The Kiss… Erm, I mean The Quest where there was a kiss between the two characters, but since Xena at that time was in the body of a certain Bruce Campbell some people have tried to ignore it. Oh, and earlier in the season they kissed, but since it was at Gabrielle’s wedding (with someone else), it’s sort of… bah.
Season three… Can’t remember any smoochies, not so surprising considering the whole G’s daughter is evil half-god who she has to poison after the daughter killed Xena’s son dealie… Not in seasons four and five either though in season five that might have something to do with utter stupidity from some executives.
Season six. Heh. Season six. Better mention THE DANCE in Heart of Darkness, which wasn’t a kiss, but oh dear me. The Sleeping Beauty scenario in the Ring-trilogy, not that anyone said anything about her needing to kiss Gabrielle… Then there was the water-transfer stuff in the FINale (yeah, that’s what she’s doing).

But no, they were never outspoken lesbians, but I think that might have been just as well.
And now for what you’ve all been waiting for, pictures!
The most famous one, from the finale.
Well, not a kiss, but the dance :), 2
How far they got in The Quest before they cut to Bruce Campbell (Xena was a bit of a ghost, see)
Return of the Valkyrie
Ooh, “accidential” smoochies with Aphrodite, I had forgotten about that.
I had also forgotten about Gabrielle as a vampire in Girls Just Wanna Have Fun

I won’t bother with the “massage in bathtub”-scenes, I think I’ve proven my geekiness enough for one day ;)

Whoa! Xena rocks! I should look into getting this TV stuff in my house! For, you know, CNN and stuff…

-Tom

The whole lesbian subtext of the show was one of the things that made it great to watch. I remember watching it with a bunch of friends almost every week and we would laugh and talk trash at the effects and some of the fighting(the episode where the whole fight scene took place with the actors walking across peoples heads comes to mind). Then we would start cheering and screaming whenever it would show them camped out and sleeping next to eachother or something like that. Hilarious show.

The whole lesbian subtext of the show was one of the things that made it great to watch. I remember watching it with a bunch of friends almost every week and we would laugh and talk trash at the effects and some of the fighting(the episode where the whole fight scene took place with the actors walking across peoples heads comes to mind).

It’s a bit of a cliché, but the show did work on a lot of levels…
Plenty of laughs, drama and romance, and they rarely took themselves that seriously. I personally think it was a bit underrated because of the format, but on the other hand I’m biased on account of being a pathetically devout fan :D

Then we would start cheering and screaming whenever it would show them camped out and sleeping next to eachother or something like that.

It’s fun to realize that you really, really notice when they’re NOT sleeping next to each other. Like in The Rheingold when had this “something’s wrong with this scene”-reaction that was quite amusing.