Quantum Break - Remedy, time-slips, and a TV soap opera

Do a lot of PC users have 4K monitors now? I guess I need to go look at the latest Steam hardware survey. I thought most PC users would be happy with a 1080p monitor like me.

A couple of new previews:

Edit: Also a couple of LP’s of the opening of the game by JackFrags and GhostRobo

Game is released on 5th of April, if you pre-order, you’ll get the Windows 10 version free along with the Xbox One copy. Also you’ll get Alan Wake (BC) with all DLCs including the American Nightmare.

Yeah, and a new trailer, with more emphasis on the live action, but with some bits of gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJCSw9pR40I

Jim Sterling accidentally broke the embargo and posted his review. He’s since taken it down, but the summary still exists in the 'tubes.

Quantum Break is not the most revolutionary of games, and its box of time toys cover what is, at heart, a fairly standardized shooter. However, it carries itself with style and speed to create something genuinely fascinating to play, flavored by a story that, while failing to pay off in the final stretch, is more detailed and engrossing than most in its league.

The Xbox One may have failed to live up to its dreams of being a cross-media entertainment portal, but we got Quantum Break out of it, and that’s just fine by me.

I spent a couple hours watching someone stream the game all the way through the end of act one a couple days ago while I played Hearthstone, and the gameplay looked as generic as it comes, with the super power twist seeming to bring nothing especially new to the table either. I haven’t been over-excited for this title, but seeing the actual game in motion just dampened any anticipation I might have actually had for it.

Nothing I’ve seen in the promo materials or gameplay footage has convinced me this isn’t a very average shooter with excessive cut scenes and recognizable uncanny-valley faces. I hope it does well, because I wouldn’t mind my platform-of-choice having a few notable successes, but I’m just not feeling it yet.

If you pirate Quantum Break, you get to play the game like this:

Wait, I thought they were supposed to be trying to get people not to pirate?

Shouldn’t the game be free with Windows 10 anyway.

So has anybody got their free windows 10 key for pre-ordering on xbox one yet?

I had not as of last night, will look tonight

PC version? Not great.

Wasn’t Ridley Scott supposed to make a show to accompany this game, or somesuch?

I believe you are thinking of the Halo:Nightfall series, where Scott was an executive producer.

Wendelius

Yay, MS’s Unwanted Wonky Platform hard at work.

if by not great you mean abhorrently disgusting, then yeah, not great.

And the insane prices are just cherries on top.

That eurogamer article is brutal, this reminds me of Alan Wake and the Vista crap from years ago, which was also a Remedy game. ;)

Actually, that game was cancelled on PC by MS completely so there was no Vista crap after all. When the PC version eventually came out it was a fantastic PC version, steamworks based. Complete 100% opposite of QB.
I do wish someone else funded Remedy’s visions so Remedy and PC gamers wouldn’t have to suffer the repeated bullshit.

Look, the Quantum Break PC port is obviously terrible, but people using UWP as the scapegoat seem to be missing the fact that Rise of the Tomb Raider and Killer Instinct proved that UWP is perfectly capable of handling beautiful AAA PC games which perform well.

Yes, UWP has other genuine limitations, but you can’t blame the Quantum Break port’s shoddiness on UWP. Based on what’s described, it sounds like the vast majority of those issues would have still existed in a hypothetical Win32 version.

Well the shitty port is likely a function of UWP’s discussed limitations, DirectX12 being new, average release support from the GPU vendors and just not enough time devoted to the PC version. But dollars to donuts the weird ass 50fps limit is a function of UWP and UWP is sure as hell to blame for them not being able to even out frame-times with driver control panel settings, or even be able to glimpse under the hood as they may well have been able to with win32.

And you seem to forget that hubbub surrounding UWP for games came hot on the heels of TR’s release once people began noticing the limitations (no vsync control, no SLI, borderless only, no macros, etc). Sweeney’s article followed not long after.