Quantum Break - Remedy, time-slips, and a TV soap opera

Killer Instinct and Tomb Raider absolutely have no “50fps limit”. Both can and do run at a beautifully smooth 60FPS if you have the hardware (and for KI, it doesn’t require much hardware).

There are other limitations around gsync which affect frame rate. But the pure, raw ability to run something at 60fps? No.

Sweeny’s article is altogether orthogonal. He’s since backed down from his crusade since Microsoft addressed literally everything he suggested in this list.

Again, UWP obviously has problems and major feature gaps, I’m not trying to downplay that. But it’s important to acknowledge the nuances here if anyone wants anything to change for the better.

The vision for UWP (Apple walled garden, Google Play Store) and the world of Win32 (Freedom) are incompatible.

Brutal “review” of the game on PC from EG. Still interesting.

The presumption that UWP is a “walled garden” is entirely incorrect. That’s the point.

Tim Sweeney was incorrect in that regard in his first diatribe, Microsoft has repeatedly denied the claims and repeatedly affirmed UWP as being an open platform just like Win32. And now Tim Sweeney himself has acknowledged the fact that you can sell a UWP app on any store, because you can sign it with any CA root, and install it with a double-click.

There’s literally no quit button in the PC version. If you want to quit, you have to ALT-F4 out. That’s not a UWP issue. That’s a port issue.

Unless the reason that there is no QUIT is because it was so easy to “port” the game to PC with UWP they forgot about adding those features or playtesting it - Maybe a Win32 executable would’ve had 60 fps, a Quit Button AND allowed you to use ReShade and play fullscreen… :-)

This is true that it has nothing to do with it being a UWP game. However the fact that it does happen to be a UWP game is that, just like all UWP apps / games running in full-screen mode, you can move your mouse to the upper-right hand corner of the screen (assuming you’re in a menu) and click the X button to exit just like any ordinary Windows application.

That sucks. Seriously. I know Microsoft wants that corner thing to catch on, but they’re dreaming when it comes to regular desktop use.

Tim Sweeney still isn’t convinced:

Vague promises are nice and all, but until MS confirms what Sweeney asks them, AND they manage to sort their shit out, MS will not see a dime from me.

…hell, I wont be buying things from their store anyway if they remain exclusive there. If MS wants my money, release the games on all main PC stores and compete with quality, not artificial bullshit exclusivity.
It sucks because I do want to play QB when (if?) it gets fixed, but thems the breaks.

Ah, of course - thanks!

Microsoft got on stage at their biggest, most visible, and highly publicized developer event. Multiple people - vice presidents, presidents, and other executives - unequivocally stated that the Universal Windows Platform is an open platform, just like Win32, which enables developers to build applications however they want, sell them however and wherever they want, and sign them with any ordinary certificate just like Win32.

Just like the naive conspiracy theorists who thought that Windows 8+ would magically get rid of the Desktop forever, because apparently they think Microsoft doesn’t make the vast majority of their money from enterprises which entirely depend on it, the conspiracy theorists in this case are just as naive and misinformed.

Tim Sweeney has an extremely myopic view into Microsoft’s business, and he doesn’t understand how his wildest fears make literally zero sense in the wider context of how Microsoft makes money. And this isn’t some brand new thing under Satya Nadella, it was true under Steve Ballmer too.

Closing off the ecosystem, forcing everything to go through a controlled sandbox, and “monopolizing development” as Sweeney claimed Microsoft would do goes against every single common sense explanation of how Microsoft has always made money, currently makes money, and will continue making money in the future.

How long have you been working for Microsoft again ;D

That’s uncalled for (even with a wink). LMN8R had always made it clear he speaks for himself.

And the reasoning behind the way Microsoft works is sound, unlike the constant tinfoil hat theories.

Wendelius

This is nice and all, but given MS’s History, and how much money Apple makes compared to MS on their own walled gardens, and given all the legitimate concerns raised by Sweeney, I will be erring on the side of caution until proven (and not just promised) otherwise.

Roughly 8 years. I’ve openly mentioned it in almost every relevant thread on this and many other message boards.

I’m not saying it’s irrational to have some amount of caution. I am saying that Tim’s initial post was heavily flawed and outdated even before BUILD, and after the conference, there’s less and less to grasp at to make that concern at all relevant anymore.

Microsoft simply does not have an up-side to closing off Windows or “monopolizing development”. It’s fundamentally at odds with their enterprise ambitions, cloud businesses, and even Windows itself. In a world where Microsoft is developing for iOS and Android before Windows, where they partner with Canonical to bring Bash and other Linux support to Windows, where they support opposing platforms within their own Azure infrastructure, and on and on, it simply doesn’t make any modicum of sense to hamstring their brand new development platform to exclusively work on a single store that only exists on Windows.

Unless, that is, you’re still stuck in the world of 15 years ago where Microsoft actually had the market power to dictate terms like this, and was thorough enemies with practically every company they’re now close partners with. Or if you’re like Tim Sweeney where your entire world is only made up of end-consumers and developers of consumer entertainment with zero visibility into how enterprise productivity software and services makes Microsoft the vast majority of its money.

I think it’s clear the decision to make too a pc version and with the same release date was done just only a few months ago, hence the bad port.
The game also runs much better in amd gpus, which makes sense because the console uses one and they didn’t have time to optimize for pc.

Enviado desde mi Nexus 5X mediante Tapatalk

Microsoft says Quantum Break is the “best-selling new Microsoft Studios IP this generation” which sounds a lot less impressive when you realize that the only other new Microsoft IPs for this gen are Ryse, Sunset Overdrive, and Screamride.

The addtional 18 months of installbase between the last major new IP (SO) from MS would certainly have given it a leg up as well.

So I have the ridiculous 75GB episode pack installed and the fucking game tells me it can’t stream the episodes. WTF. No googling seems to show how to fix this. It doesn’t need to stream anything, anyone figured this out?

Also, just redeemed my windows 10 code and there is no fing way to change the download location on Windows 10 store downloads. STUPIDITY RUNS AMOK.

Sure you can. Go to Storage settings in PC Settings.