Quantum Break - Remedy, time-slips, and a TV soap opera

Aaron Greenberg says Quantum Break exceeded expectations!

[quote]
Yeah, this is a business. There are times when you have to make priorities on resources. That said, Quantum Break sold really well, it exceeded what we expected it to do. We were really pleased with how Quantum Break did. But just like every movie, not every game needs a sequel, sometimes it’s okay.[/quote]

Must have been some low expectations to put a huge marketing push behind it, allocate the Microsoft TV effort to it, then not go forward with a sequel. Also Remedy breaking off and going with a “new partner” is the sign of great sales.

Picked this up cheap on CD Keys for Steam, and just finished. Well, I say finished but the final boss fight is such bullshit on normal difficulty that after over 20 attempts I ragequit and watched the ending on Youtube. The game preceding that was excellent, very cool time travel story with plenty of twists and turns. I thought the TV episodes would be too intrusive and get in the way of the game, but they worked really well. I was going to give it a second go to see how differently the choices you make play out, but given that boss fight I’ll pass, at least for now.

If you use the $5 off $25 amazon app discount, you can pick up the collectors edition of this for $21. Cheaper than CD Keys and you get the art book!

Bought this on steam yesterday on sale, and already refunded it.

Sorry Remedy, but such unoptimized piece of shit, I would never expect from you. GTX 1070, GPU utilisation around 60-80%, and yet it stutters between 30-60 and is pretty much unplayable. I could lock it to 30, but why do that? I didn’t buy 1070 to play at 30fps. I have PS4 Pro for that (sadly).

So, after my last post being super negative, my new post will be super positive!

I don’t know what changed, if there was some patch or something but the Steam version was running perfectly for me this time, got it from humble bundle for 12 bucks, which is super cheap considering how great this game was.

Regarding the story and ending, do I understand it correctly? The End of Time happens in 2021 anyway, Paul Serene was actually a good guy through and through despite doing some shitty things (shooting Beth and blowing up Will) who at least wanted to extend humanity’s survival and give it a chance to develop permanent solution to the Fracture, and Martin Hatch was a shifter whose goal was to prevent Serene’s plan and make sure End of Time happens, since he and other shifters can only exist properly in that zero state of frozen time…and he basically suceeded. Jack is a good guy who in the end did not accomplish changing anything, he did what he was always going to do, the Fracture was never supposed to happen in 2016 and so it didn’t, instead everything transpired exactly as seen by Serene when he first traveled into End of Time future. So basically the ending is not a happy ending at all, at least not in the traditional sense. Jack’s “I will come for you” to Beth was nice gesture but completely pointless.

If I got anything wrong let me know.

Overall it is one of the better timetravel stories, I love its consistency and the fact that it is not that typical yet another Terminator like paradoxing. Liked the lore (all those emails etc), and also liked the TV stuff despite some dodgy writing here and there.
Gameplay had few issues (some puzzles were a bit ridiculous with their reliance on time powers, not being able to shoot without aiming down the sight was super dumb design decision) but I enjoyed it for the most part, running around the battlefield shooting stuff while using the time powers.

Remedy still got it, this is now sixth games in a row from them that I enjoyed, wish their games were not marred by bad launches and stupid exclusivities so they could sell better. If I was reviewing my score would be 85.
It sucks that they will now apparently focus more on multiplayer than singleplayer.

This game is really quite good for what it is. I recommend it especially at the $15 price point.

No idea what’s going on but this seems pretty awesome so far. $9.99…

Also one of the Humble Monthly headliners next month. Hopefully I’ll get to it before 2019…

Wish it was the Play Anywhere version, I think I’d rather play this on my Xbox.

I wish they HAD a Play Anywhere version. I don’t think they do. There’s Steam version, Windows Store version and Xbox version, all separate.

Ah, I just assumed everything first party was Play Anywhere at this point.

Man, seriously? I thought there were bad guys and I shot them :/ I may be too dumb for videogames.

Good game, very much worth a look for anyone interested in shooters which aren’t just whack-a-mole. For me it squandered a lot of the goodwill it earned with its final boss battle but still. Way ahead of the last Wolfenstein in my book.

Funny, I bought Wolfenstein 2 day one full price, and I waited for QB humble bundle, and I agree that I liked QB significantly more than Wolf 2, although I enjoyed that too, but QB is just lot more interesting.

Quantum Break got a bad rap, really. It’s a solid and interesting game.

A solid shooter with fun time trick mechanics. Story took itself to seriously and the real world “shows” came off like a bad SYFY movie. Not worth a $60 price but a s9lid bargain bin game.

Is anything worth $60 these days?

Just thinking back recently, Mass Effect: Andromeda was worth $60 for me. As was No Man’s Sky. As was Witcher 3. As was Elite: Dangerous ($66 IIRC). As was Destiny (the original). As was Forza 5. Those are the few this generation that I bought at full price that I recall right now. The Last of Us Remastered certainly would have been worth that if I hadn’t rented it and finished it that way. I would have been very happy with a $60 purchase of that. A few other games in that category, where I waited for a bargain, but the games turned out to be so good, I would have been perfectly happy at full price: Wolf 2, DOOM, Diablo 3, maybe Arkham Knight.

For me Forza Horizon 3, Zero Dawn, and Assassins Creed Origins are recent ones. But I’m also an active bargain hunter too.

I guess a major CDPR title might get $60 from me, but that’s about it. Maybe if something really impressive happened in VR. Or I suppose something that taxed modern PC hardware.

:D