Quarry - 70s masterpiece that you need to watch (by creators of Banshee)

I just finished the season and yes. It was brilliant from start to finish. The finale in particular. The atmosphere, the cinematography. The script doesn’t pull any punches. Acting is perfect. There is a scene in the last episode that makes the best scene in True Detective look like child’s play.
I do not know if it has ratings good enough to get us second season, but even if it stays a one season miniseries, it is brilliant, with immensely satisfying ending. Get to it.

God dammit now I overhyped it too much didn’t I. Forget what you read here and just watch it.

I’m two episodes in, glad to hear it maintains the momentum! Really enjoying it so far.

Not sure the creators did Banshee though - they were writers on Rectify. The director worked on both (as well as a lot of other stuff).

I think it was somewhat marketed that way, anyway. Greg Yaitanes who was exec producer on Banshee directed every episode of Quarry. Also, Rectify is brilliant too so now I know why this show is so good :)
And Greg should become big, his directorial work is masterful.

I’ve been meaning to watch this, glad to hear it’s great.

I’ve never heard of this show, but if the writers worked on Rectify, I’m checking it out. I love, love, love Rectify.

I’ll have to check Quarry out since I’m such a huge fan of Rectify (and Ray McKinnon in general). Criminally underrated show.

So true about Rectify. The show is brilliant and got very high ratings. I really care what happens to to this family. I hope Quarry is as good.

What channel is it on?

Quarry is on Cinemax. Rectify is on Sundance.

Rectify is also on Netflix, although it’s strictly previous seasons.

I forgot it is on Netflix. It is also available at my library. The first two episodes of Season 4 are free to stream from the website.

Any show that mentions Big Star is OK by me. Also I love the 70s ambience (my big brother drove a hot rod Ford Maverick but not a hideous 4 door as in the show).

If you see a sweet red Dodge Charger in the background, it’s actually my dad’s car. I know it’s in the third episode, but not sure where else.

I am not complaining by any means, but the fact that there’s full frontal nudity and a sex scene inside the first fifteen minutes of the first episode surely does let you know what channel you’re on… ;)

Edit: Good lord, his wife is hot. Too bad things go south so quickly. Also, OMG, Dewey Crowe! Except in a very different, just as entertaining role. Love that guy.

OMG Dewey Crowe is in this?! This just got moved to the top of the list.

In all 8 episodes, per IMDB.

Why isn’t this available on iTunes or Amazon, which is where I went for my Banshee fix once my free Cinemax ran out? Episode 1 is on available on Youtube, and great in all the grim, sleazy 1970s ways I hoped. Happy to see Dewy Crowe and Marlo Stanfield keep getting work.

Also, this is definitely from the Banshee school of TV greatness, not the Rectify school.

1. Tom Noonan (no idea if he’s got more than a bit part, but he’s here!)
  2. Jesus, I love Damon Herriman and his character’s mom so much.
  3. The dynamics between Mac and his wife in episode 4 are so fucking heavy. That last scene. Holy fuck.

Yes to all.
As for Tom Noonan, I loved that he was just there, not a single word. I assume he would get more time in second season, if there is one.
HBO should make season 2 and broadcast season 1 and 2 on HBO instead of Cinemax and give it huge marketing push, make an event out of it like they did with (much, much worse :p ) True Detective.

I just started watching this, and saw the first episode - so great! Unfortunately, the show is cancelled due to Cinemaxx changing its programmes, and not due to low viewer counts or anything.

Is the show still worth seeing to the end?