Quarter to Three is now an ad-free site!

Seriously.

What, is this some sort of commentary on life as a whole?

Did the front page get a makeover? I like the layout in my phone.

Yes:

Wendelius

This is a dumb post, so please ignore it.

Firefox reaction to change:

How can I possibly ignore that gif!? So good!

Yeah, that red panda is cute

Fascinating, gifycat embed is centering the vertical video. That’s kinda nice I guess?

That… that is weird.

Per Twitter cc @stusser et al→

Since 2015, GDI has received ~$1209 in AmazonSmile donation disbursements, or ~$400 per year. That means that Amazon customers spent ~$241,800 on eligible products and selected GDI as their nonprofit of choice. Since 2015, Amazon has donated exactly $0 to GDI.

I’d argue that corporate initiatives like this do more harm than good (esp. for smaller nonprofits like us).
Amazon provides no matching gift; gets customers to believe their purchase is an act of goodwill/a donation; appears to be a good corporate citizen without giving a dime.

And they sure spend a lot of time and effort asking us to promote them selling stuff to you using our good name!

When you’re checking out at CVS and the payment screen prompts “Add $1, $5, $10 for x cause” do you ever wonder how much CVS corporate gave to x cause?

Or when you “Round Up & Donate” to the nonprofits listed on your Lyft app, do you ever wonder how much $$$ Lyft donates? I do!

That’s a ridiculous statement.

First, Amazon never said they’d match anything, nor did they commit to donating anything outside of the Smile program. They do, of course, make corporate donations elsewhere.

Second, Smile is an act of goodwill by Amazon, because they don’t charge users an extra 0.5%-- that cut comes out of their revenue. They would make 0.5% more on every purchase I make at Amazon if Smile didn’t exist.

GDI made $1209 from Amazon Smile donations. Are they going to give that money back? Is it not green, does it not spend? How in the world is that more harm than good?

I wouldn’t be surprised if the act of setting your smile donation target and the occasional reminder that you gave your charity of choice a donation with your purchase causes people to feel like they’ve done their good deed and not make a regular donation they might have made otherwise. This is all hypothetical of course, but if making 20 purchases totaling $1000 over a year gets you 20 reminders that you support the Pigeon Society and gives them $5, without that you might have donated $10 or $20 to get the same good feelings.

I doubt this is common and I have no idea how many people actually substitute in that way.

I suppose that could be true, but I haven’t seen any evidence that’s the case. It certainly isn’t for me.