Quarter To Three Movie Club - DEC 2018/Get Carter (1971)-Spoilers Allowed!

Honestly I’d be mostly ok with any of them. But not gonna lie, Get Carter making the final cut?

image https://media.giphy.com/media/Hd4eyt5cZNgKk/giphy.gif

Yeah, all the choices sound great to me. And I haven’t seen any of them except Bullitt.

The Junta has decided that since there aren’t any lines at any of the polling stations, the polls will close at 8 PM EST.

The First Round Polls have Closed! The Junta is proud of it’s patriotic citizens!

Since the Junta was generous enough to let the polls stay open until 8 PM EST, a few late votes trickled in. This was the final count.

Run-Off Voting for Qt3 Movie Club Film 003, December 2018 will now commence.

First Round Voting is now closed (the poll cannot be modified at this time). The below Poll will be closed FRI December 7 at 2359 EST. At that time, if no film has secured a the most votes, the winner will be chosen at random from amongst those tied for first place.

Stay Patriotic Citizens!

• Get Carter (1971)
  • Le Cercle Rouge
  • The Getaway (1972)

0 voters

Your Happy, No-Wave-Making Movie Club Voter Information Sheet Provided to you by the Junta

The Traditional Cuisine Action Crime Thriller International Menu

Great Britain:

Get Carter

Geordie Lunch - Bangers and Mash

France:

Le Cercle Rouge

Marseilles Bouillabaisse

Marseille%20Bouillabaisse

Texas:

The Getaway

Peckinpah Texas Carne Barbecue with McQueen Sauce

McQueen%20Texas%20Carne%20Barbacue%20with%20Peckinpah%20Sauce

Why is it called bangers and mash? Because sausages pop when they cook?

The term bangers supposedly originated during World War I, when meat shortages resulted in sausages ’ being made with a number of fillers, notably water, that caused them to explode when cooked.

Wow, I can’t believe you were right.

No vegetarian options? Ain’t that the story of my life recently.

The Junta acknowledges that Vegetarianism exists, or better said, doesn’t actively jail Vegetarians. Yet. As long as they don’t make waves. Or complain about menu selections…

Get Carter has a substantial lead! I am surprised more consideration hasn’t been given to The Peckinpah. Le Cercle Rouge may be suffering a bit from Anglophone bias.

In this case it’s because you already stumped for it last month, and all things being equal figured why not.

Plus Michael Caine, man is a font of gifs.

Personally, I love Le Cercle Rouge, but I’m going with Get Carter as I’ve been meaning to see it for a long time and this should provide motivation.

I have seen neither and would be interested in either, but I feel like I have a basic idea of what Get Carter is going to be, whereas I have never seen any of Melville’s movies or really anything from that era of French cinema, so I am curious about La Cercle Rouge in a way I am not about Get Carter.

I’ll take this opportunity to point out that Army of Shadows is the far superior Melville film (fight me!), and will continue to nominate it for the foreseeable future. Or at least until I get tired of it losing and move on to something else.

It is quite fantastic.

Perhaps your secret plan is to ensure that it is the Melville film chosen…but later. Le Cercle may cause Melville fatigue amongst the populace. Dampening their taste for Army of Shadows later…

Hmm…you may be getting a bit too clever, politically, for the Junta’s taste…we’ll pass your name on…just to be on the safe side.

Watched The American Soldier. That was… unexpected. I think my only other Fassbinder is World on a Wire, which is much more conventional in style. The strange juxtaposition of deadpan and almost expressionistic melodrama here reminded me a bit of Aki Kaurismaki, but less overtly comedic.

Also, I had one of my many cultural serendipities (see eg my watching Hereditary right after Rosemary’s Baby). I watched this right after the episode of Patriot where they spend the whole episode shitfaced, so seeing him constantly swigging from the whisky bottle was fun.

I thought you’d like it. I’ll probably see it SAT night. I haven’t seen it in 10 or 15 years.

Caliber 9 Alert -

I’d actually never seen this. 2 minutes in and the soundtrack sounds like it’s Jethro Tull meets Sergio Leone. Fantastic!

The Polls have closed.

Get Carter (1971) is President for Life with 59% of the vote.

Get Carter

El Presidente says, “Everyone Clean Your Plate!”

The Thread will now stay spoiler-free until Monday 17 December, 2018 at 2359 EST. This gives everyone 10 days to watch the film. After that time discussion to include spoilers will begin. As well, the Four Stooges will submit impressions/comments/reviews after that date.