Quarter To Three Movie Club - February 2019- The Man Who Wasn’t There-Spoilers Allowed!

The Shortest Month of the Year

Did you know the The Saxon term for the month, Sol-monath, means “cake month”? This is because they offered cakes to the gods during this month.

Now we know when Alfred burned them, if not why he burned them.

FEB 2019 - Winner!

The Man Who Wasn’t There ( 2001 ) – Ginger_Yellow

Selection Status: Viewing Round

This Round will end Wednesday February 20, 2019 at 2359 EST when spoiler discussion will commence.

Click here to see the Run-Off Poll results.

It’s that time again. I hope everyone who watched it enjoyed viewing Army of Shadows , the January 2019 winner for Quarter to Three Movie Club, but it’s time to have our cake and eat it too as we select the February 2019 edition of Quarter To Three Movie Club.

Anyone who wishes to continue the discussion of Army of Shadows should feel to do so. Here is a link to that thread.

About Quarter To Three Movie Club

After some recent film discussions in various threads @ChristienMurawski and I started discussing what happened to Qt3 Movie Club and slowly decided that iwe really wanted to restart it and bring it back. We thought that if it was done as a fun game designed to maximize discussion and participation in Movie Club, it would keep everyone’s interest.

Here’s how it will work. Once a month, we’ll issue a call for nominations for a film. After a period of time, we’ll hold a vote via poll. Whatever film wins will be watched by a certain date. And then…well, we’ll review/comment/give impressions and discuss.

We’'re currently running with with 10 days for nominations/voting, 10 days to watch the film and 10 days of discussion. But its new, so we’ll be flexible. Semper Gumby!

One thing we wanted was a dedicated cadre of useful idiots who would always provide reviews/comment/give impressions - The Three Stooges so @Rock8man joined us (I claim dibs on being the “Shemp” of the group). This would ensure maximum participation in all phases of Movie Club; even if you can’t find the time to write something up, you can still participate in the process, nominate and vote and later discuss, knowing that Four Stooges will dance to the tune of the Vox Populi. But we want as many members as possible to review/comment/give impressions on each film.

There may be more in the future, but there are already a few rules for Movie Club (I am a Board Wargamer, so I likes me some rules).

Rule 001 – Each film may only be viewed once as a winner in Movie Club. Hence, a winner cannot be renominated in the future.
Rule 002 – Any film used in Movie club must have been released for two years (this prevents Movie Club overlapping unnecessarily with the Qt3 Movie Podcast).
Rule 003 – Every third film will be chosen by the Four Stooges, rotated amongst them. This is kind of a “Dealer’s Choice” reward for being a Movie Club “Stooge”.
Rule 004 – Any Qt3 member may nominate a film or vote for a film to be used (Including Stooges).
Rule 005 - “Campaigning” for a film to be voted for in the polling is absolutely encouraged, but only in general terms about films while voting. It can lead to spoiler-land quickly. If campaigning for or against a film, feel free to discuss the pros and cons of the director, your preferences regarding actors, genre, etc. All of that is fair game. But no story or plot details. So discussing around a film is fine. About a film story/structure while voting? Off-limits.
Rule 006 - As discussion of a film means that it will be spoiled out of necessity, all films will have a due date to be watched. After that point, open “Spolier” discussion of that film will occur. Participants, you have been warned.
Rule 007 - If a film is not readily available for viewing (difficult to procure/access, as determined by the Stooges) and it wins the poll, the runner up will perform all official duties of the Poll winner, who shall be disqualified.

I’ll also ask any and all Qt3ers to step up and start making nominations for the Film 005 of Quarter to Three Movie Club! Just make your nominations in the thread! After 3 days, we’ll stop the nominations and a poll will be provided for Round 1 Voting.

Let the February 2019 Movie Club Film Nominations Begin!

Who could possibly want to burn this cake? Sacrilege!! Alfred the Great my eye! More like Alfred the Cake-hater!

February is also (usually) the month of Mardi Gras! Which is a time of much partying, but also a time when we consume the King cake. Behold:

You can imagine why the beads are there, but what’s the deal with all the babies, you may be asking? Well the king cake usually has one little baby figurine hidden inside. The person who gets the slice with the baby will have good luck for all the year! And also has to buy next year’s cake. Sorry, had to get in on that cake action. Carry on with your movie-ing!

See! Who would want to burn a beautiful cake like that? And you could end up burning a BABY in the cake!?!

Alfred the Monster is more like it…

Since it went so well last month, I’m going to continue the tradition of re-nominating losing nominees from previous voting rounds.

Edit: Changed Nominee.

So I nominate Juan’s old nominee that almost won:

Gah! Stop nominating stuff I watched last time they were nominated!

I can’t in good conscience vote for it as Melville directed the last film we saw.

Heh. True enough. I didn’t realize it was the same director.

Oh well. Something else that will lose the vote then!

Edit: Am I allowed to change my nomination?

Wait, does this mean you saw Army of Shadows? You should share your thoughts on it in that thread. :P

Always!

My nomination:

This one trades back and forth with Army of Shadows and Chinatown as my favorite film. Since the former was last month’s winner, and I figure the latter has been pretty widely seen and discussed, this seemed as good of a pick as any.

Do’t get me wrong; I love Melville and that film is fantastic. Just…two Melvilles in succession… 😀

I am going with this. It was a tight choice between this and the Algiers film, which I’ll nominate another month, probably.

I have never seen this, but I’m heavily biased against it because I saw the remake in the theater, the one where Bruce Willis plays The Jackal. It’s the second worst Bruce Willis movie I’ve ever seen (after Hudson Hawk, of course).

It should never have been remade. This is Melville-influenced, IMO, by the same director who did High Noon years before.

Day of the Jackal is a great book, too, and it won’t ruin the movie (besides spoiling the plot.) Edit: except that the book is more explicit in its descriptions of violence. So maybe watch the movie first, then turn it up a notch with the book if you’re interested.

Well, that’s the problem. I watched it over a month before the thread opened for comments, so my memory is fading for making particularly insightful comments. Though, to be honest, I don’t think I’d have had much more to add to the conversation than that it was great.

Stroszek! Another one I’ve watched recently, but not quite recently enough to be cogent about. At least I own it, so rewatching would be painless.

Three nominations so far. Thin gruel in February.

Apologies if I’m breaking a club rule here. I haven’t seen this yet but have meant to for awhile.

No rules broken; that’s what we call an interesting Nomination!