Quarter To Three Movie Club - NOV 2018/Europa Report - Spoilers Allowed!!

Well Europa Report watched.

I could definitely have things to say!

Strangely enough I’ve seen a few of the films nominated here. I am torn between Europa Report and Forbidden Planet. Ultimately the cast of Forbidden Planet gets my vote. I mean, come on, Walter Pidgeon? Leslie Nielsen? Robbie the Robot? All great stars.

The Polls are open!

Film 002- First Round Poll

This Poll will be closed TUE NOV 6 at 2359 EST. At that time, if no film has secured an absolute majority of votes the top two films will advance for a final run-off. If there is a tie, and more than two films are the “top two” all tied selections will be advanced.

Click here to see a selection of links for all films in the below poll.

• Army of Shadows (1969)
  • Better Luck Tomorrow (2002)
  • Blue Is the Warmest Colour (2013)
  • Brazil (1985)
  • Europa Report (2013)
  • Fitzcarraldo (1982)
  • Forbidden Planet (1956)
  • Get Carter (1971)
  • Perfume: The Story of a Murderer (2006)
  • Sweet Smell of Success (1957)
  • The Hudsucker Proxy (1994)
  • The Lady in White (1988)

0 voters

Your Movie Club Voter Information Sheet

November Movie Club Nominations:

Army of Shadows (1969) – Anonymgeist

Better Luck Tomorrow (2002) – Malkav11

Blue Is the Warmest Colour (2013) – Juan_Raigada

Brazil (1985) – CraigM

Europa Report (2013) – Marquac

Fitzcarraldo (1982) – Ginger_Yellow
Fitzcarraldo

Forbidden Planet (1956) – Divedivedive

Get Carter (1971) – Navaronegun

Perfume: The Story of a Murderer (2006) – Lordkosc

Sweet Smell of Success (1957) – Gordon_Cameron

The Hudsucker Proxy (1994) – Matt_W

The Lady in White (1988) – Mark_Asher

Well, I think I’d probably be happy to see any of the movies on this list (already have, when it comes to Brazil, Hudsucker Proxy, my own nomination, and Europa Report), but I’m still voting for my nomination because I’m a sucker for a quality crime flick and Better Luck Tomorrow is a) an outstanding example of the form, b) a setting and group of characters you don’t see much in this sort of story, and c) unfairly underseen. Whereas I think most people know what a classic Brazil, Fitzcarraldo, and Army of Shadows are considered to be whether they’ve actually bothered to see them. (I do have my Criterion DVD of Brazil ready if we pick it though.)

Ok, availability report in the U.S.A:

Army of Shadows (1969): Rental only(Google Play, iTunes, Vudu) (used to be on Filmstruck last month when we were voting, but it seems to be gone from there now).

Better Luck Tomorrow (2002): Max Go (plus rental at all digital stores)

Blue is the Warmest Colour (2013): Netflix, Sundance Now (plus Rental, at iTunes, Vudu, PSN, Amazon)

Brazil (1985): Hoopla (plus Rental, all digital stores)

Europa Report (2013): Netflix, Hoopla, Tubi TV (plus Rental, all digital stores)

Fitzcarraldo (1982): Prime, Fandor (plus Rental, all digital stores)

Forbidden Planet (1956): Rental Only. (all digital stores seem to have it).

Get Carter (1971): Rental Only (all digital stores seem to have it)

Perfume: The Story of a Murder (2006): Prime, Tubi TV (plus Rental at all digital stores)

Sweet Smell of Success (1957): Tubi TV(free with ads) (plus Rental at iTunes only)

The Hudsucker Proxy (1994): Filmstruck (plus Rental at all digital stores)

The Lady in White (1988): Hoopla, Vudu (free with Ads) (plus Vudu Rental without ads)

Could you please update “rental” with where it can be rented? For instance, Amazon, YouTube and/or ITunes or DVD only? Thanks, Rocketman, btw. That is a big help to me.

I get these from JustWatch, but in my experience JustWatch isn’t as accurate on where things can be rented. Usually it mentions one or two or four places, but it usually turns out it’s wrong and you can rent it other places too. So the only way to be sure is if it’s a rental, check your favorite store, whether that’s iTunes, Google, Vudu, PSN, Microsoft, etc.

I’ll update to what JustWatch says, just in case they’re right.

Edit: Added the rental places, plus I added the Tubi TV links, which seems to be a free service, though it has ads. No idea how many ads. Someone report back! :)

I hear you, but it’s a “feelgood” that it’s available from a major streamer, so it should be no bg deal. I generally don’t start to sweat the availability issue until we get to the second round, but better safe than sorry… :)

I just google them (example “Get Carter (1971) + Streaming”).

Side note reminder! Europa Report is going off of Netflix on the 7th

Yeah, I’ll rent it if it wins. I am happy with a sane, considered monthly Movie club not an “OMG Deadlines!” movie club. :)

Ooooh, I appreciate the heads up! Though Hoopla (through public libraries) has it too, and so does Tubi TV, where you have to watch ads, I believe, but it’s free.

Sure, that’s fair.

For my past I already watched it because

A) it’s a movie I would be interested in anyhow
B) why pay to rent when I could just watch it now.

I consider it just fine for me, since I basically forgot about it but this reminded me that I was interested

Yeah, with their service ending on the 29th, the selections are getting really weird there. A lot of Criterion titles would arrive for a month or two and then leave. It looks like that isn’t happening in NOV (big surprise). I am pretending they just don’t exist anymore, sadly.

Three Hours??? On teenage puppy love??? Spielberg was drunk…

Turnout is still way down for the First Round (18 votes as I write) compared to last month’s election. We had 36 in last month’s first round. But it’s early yet I guess. We still haven’t heard from some regulars yet.

It’s not teenage puppy love. Not all three hours. Perhaps 1 hour or so. The movie grows

Don’t pay attention, he’s the guy who’s putting forward a flick with a sickly majordome trying to look badass.

Ah…so just 1/3-1/2 of it…8-|

I see you are scared of teenage puppy love :P