Quarter To Three Movie Club - October 2018 Film is Tokyo Story - Spoilers Allowed!!

The parallels with real life are frightening;

I kept reading that as Sarah Bernhardt, and I was super intrigued and thought of time travel and stuff.
Now I just realized my mistake. I haven’t seen Hudson Hawk, and I am already disappointed!

God that would be the disappointment for the ages.

Expecting:

https://d2vtranz59kxr8.cloudfront.net/sites/jwa.org/files/styles/artifacts/public/mediaobjects/Bernhardt-Sarah-3.jpg?itok=X72zqA7I

But Getting:

It took me a good minute to figure out that was Bruce Willis.

I’ll lay it out, I watched a good 40% of Hudson Hawk the other day. I suspect if it does get the pick, ill wind up comparing it to other movies that use dream logic. It would not fare well, unless the back half improves mightily.

I’m leaving my vote for now, but as there are three films I’d gladly see win, I will switch tomorrow if nessecary.

I’m not opposed to bad, or severely flawed, films gettingnpicked. But I’m not sure that’s the best representative ;)

I love Hudson Hawk. It’s Richard E. Grant’s finest hour as a thespian.

Thanks Gordon. Qt3 Movie Club thanks you.

I changed my vote because I’ll be damned if Hudson Hawk wins this thing.

Have you guys seen it? At all? Even recently? It was terrible THEN. It’s worse NOW.

https://i.imgur.com/wt9Jyf1.gif?noredirect

I changed mine too. I don’t want people going into Hudson Hawk feeling like they got cheated out of watching some boring-ass silent, black and white foreign movie. That would be a tragedy.

Okay, dive3. You actually made me laugh out loud. Very nice.

-xtien

Hey, people could still rally around IP Man, Moon or Tokyo Tribe.

Excellent post btw. You made me laugh out loud.

Full disclosure, BTW. Tokyo Story is NOT silent.

True, although Ozu does have some silent films to his credit. Silent movies lasted longer in Japan than elsewhere (into the 1930s) because the live announcers who spoke/performed alongside the films were celebrities in their own right and acted as a lobby to inhibit the technology.

Anyhoo…

Indeed. Having silent credits under your belt is a plus to me.

Amidst all the back and forth and deal-making,what does everyone think of the election time frames in Movie Club? Anonymous poll.

• More Nomination Time
  • More Voting Time, 1st Round
  • More Voting Time Run-Off Round
  • Seems right
  • Too Early to Say.

0 voters

Less nomination time, ambivalent on voting time. I’d prefer to choose from fewer nominations in general, so that there’s more chance of coalescing around a clear favourite. Like I said before, there’s half a dozen films nominated I’d love to do, so it seems a bit arbitrary as it is. I’d also vote to make it biweekly, rather than monthly, though I understand the Gang of Four may not want to commit to that…

Thanks for the feedback, Ginger. I think biweekly is likely a bridge too far logistically. I’ll mull your other feedback.

EDIT: Missed that. Any references to the greatest Punk and/or Post-Punk Band, from a pure musicianship standpoint, must be acknowledged.

What the fuck did you made me watch. It wasn’t even awful, it was just bad!

Well you’re the one who decided to watch it early! I hardly think you can blame Dive^3 for that ;)