Quarter To Three Movie Club - October 2018 Film is Tokyo Story - Spoilers Allowed!!

Like I would ever have watched it under any other circumstances! No! No!

Oh good, Moon is on Netflix streaming. May watch it soonest.

I’m switching my vote to Moon, just to try to stave off the Tokyo Story madness. If we watch that film it’ll set a precedent. Just wait, next month the top candidate will be Into Great Silence.

What y’all will do to avoid a black and white Japanese movie with subtitles.

I bet if it had been Seven Samurai or Yojimbo there wouldn’t have been all this backlash, though.

That sounds pretty interesting.

EDIT: Er. I guess “sounds” isn’t exactly right.

I should have fooled 'em with Red Beard. “Here’s a Kurosawa film, starring Toshiro Mifune. Its set during the Shogunate.”

I mean they’re both fantastic, and for all their artistry they also are fantastic action films. Which has a broader appeal than the meditation on age it sounds like Tokyo Story may be.

I’d watch it. Gladly even. But you can bet if any Kurosawa gets tabbed, I’m voting for that. Especially if it’s one, like Red Beard, I have yet to see. I’ve only seen about a third of his works.

Some of his original stuff can be challenging to watch though (like Tengoku to Jigoku, which I guess would be puzzling, although it is a fascinating window in the Japanese way of thinking, I guess).

Honestly, I fell asleep during Seven Samurai, so I think I’m just not on board with this whole old Japanese movies thing.

It’s possible to pin the poll at the top right, and then unpin the old one and then add the new. I find it challenging to find the right poll so I can see if I’ve wound up in some sort of bad movie club.

It is, indeed impossible.

However, I always edit the top post, and the link that is in the top post will always jump you to the latest poll (and that poll always has jump links to a post with informative info and links about the choices) so you really never will get crowded out by the thread.

This first Movie club also convinced me that a new thread will have to be made for each Month’s film. They will get way too filled up If I just use one.

We really can’t pin posts on Discourse? Are you… sure. I swear I saw that before.

I could make the Polls up in the first post, but then it creates weirdness and limits to editing up there (I used the Western Films thread as my guinea pig). You get 5 minutes to edit a poll…and then its frozen. Leads to other weird stuff. The Jump links really solve that problem.

EVERY time I wanna check the vote I go to the top and click the “Click Here” link.

Curating this thread takes some work, but its really worth it. I am having a lotta fun. :)

I get what you are saying. I just thought Discourse had pin abilities.

That’s fine, but ‘broader appeal’ means nothing to me. I try to keep my opinions about movies very naive: is it good, or not?

I’ve watched Tokyo Story a couple of times, and never found it dull. I confess I couldn’t make it through Red Beard, despite being a Kurosawa devotee. I’ll have to try again sometime.

Put more simply, the ‘Ozu is dull, Kurosawa is fun’ trope is IMO not altogether accurate. An Autumn Afternoon is also probably more ‘fun’ to watch than Dodes’kaden, though I like them both.

Pretty much me.

I saw the film once, over 20 years ago, and I didn’t have a “mindful” watch. Then I lost my Criterion copy in a move. It will be pretty darn close to having a first viewing for me, so if it wins, I am pretty excited. Ozu is considered the “master” who had much influence on Kurosawa, Kobayashi, Ichigawa, et al. To me this is no different than getting ready to watch the Japanese Cinema’s Citizen Kane or Its A Wonderful Life.

Or Dersu Uzala. Which I adore, mind you. And it is better than Dodes’kaden. :)

I originally nominated The Castle of Sand, but moved to Tokyo Drifter after @Soren_Hoglund nominated it. But Ozu began to gain momentum, and I really am amenable to that title.

Nominations were weird this time, it veered very Asian Cinema, very early.

Yeah, Dersu Uzala is fantastic.

I figure foreign film is where most folks’ largest gaps in viewing are. I know that’s true for me, and I’ve made more of a point of checking out Japanese and Korean film in particular than many people.