Quarter To Three Movie Club - October 2018 Film is Tokyo Story - Spoilers Allowed!!

I watched Tokyo Story again (the first time in over 10 years, I think). While I had then some concerns that still felt proper today, the movie evoked different feelings from my previous watching.
I love this movie club already.

This keeps me motivated.

Now the “Polly McPollface” people…(@Skipper, @divedivedive…)…

Maybe you should make a poll about it! Huh? Pollface?

YEAH! Maybe we’re watching YOU McPollface!

@Navaronegun

But would you love it as much had the pick been Hudson Hawk? ;)

Never heard of it.

Is that the movie about Scully? Haven’t seen it yet.

Nobody really knows what that movie is about, actually.

I just watched Tokyo Story and have to say it was an excellent choice. I had never heard of it, so glad someone suggested it. It took a while to grow on me, but by the end I was very impressed and touched by it.

Wow, thanks Laura! I plan to view it this weekend. I can’t wait until we get to Spoiler discussions

Started watching it with the kids a few months ago… and I ended up turning it off. 😬

I’ll try to get to Tokyo Story this weekend. I really want to watch Jimmy Chin’s documentary Meru, after seeing Free Solo on Monday, but I’ll push it aside for the movie club.

It is unfortunate that many of the Disney* films of that era trade in some nasty racial stereotypes. Dumbo is another culprit.

We’ve got an only Disney storybook with something like 50 stories based on various animated films. The one for Brer Rabbit is uncomfortable to read because of that. Wind up editing some of the dialogue on the fly.

*though let’s be clear, it is not a Disney exclusive

That belongs in the Lovecraft thread Matt…wrong thread…(seriously, lets NOT do the Disney racism discussion here, please guys)?

This whole thing will get derailed and I track every post…

Ha, I actually thought it was for a moment.

Say no more, I’ll add once I finish Tokyo Story, I’ve only watched the first 35 minutes.

So if we wind up playing one of these movies, or some of the classics that also have problems, are we expected not to bring it up?

Cross the Bridge when we get to it? I might create a cross-linked thread in P&R so we can have our cake and eat it too. I just know that right here right now (Copyright Jesus Jones) probably isn’t it. :)

Sure sure. For nomination purposes, for future movies, not this round, it’s just good to know whether certain movies should be avoided is why I am asking not to continue this one. I have no idea if any Disney movie would win a nomination or not… heh, maybe.

Yeah, the way I look at it, if we get some nominations of films that really call for a political discussion (it’ll happen) I’ll create a Mirror P&R thread for such discussion. And I’ll even participate (I, who rarely P&R…). It’s really out of respect for those who don’t want that kind of debate. As well, that kind of debate will bring all sorts of folks who really aren’t into movie club. Also that line of discussion would probably swamp all other lines of discussion here.

This is an interesting take, and I can see why we would be reluctant to take the discussion there, because it may be polarizing. Still, some movies are made with political messages in mind, and part of the discussion of the craft is whether the message contributes or detracts. Or, maybe more to the point, whether the filmmaker has been successful in conveying the message at hand.

I guess we can decide on a case-by-case basis. Regardless, I certainly don’t want a movie discussion to alienate anyone.

-xtien