Quarter To Three Movie Club - October 2018 Film is Tokyo Story - Spoilers Allowed!!

Current Status

Movie Club Film 001 - October 2018.

Commentary Allowed, Spoiler Embargo Lifted

Click Here to Jump to the beginning of Spoiler Conversation in Thread

Tokyo%20Story
Tokyo Story - imdb: 8.2/10 (40,497) / RT: 100
Available on: Kanopy, Filmstruck (Free or Subscription); Amazon, iTunes (Rental, 3.99).

Trailer:

Selection Status: Commentary

Spoilers allowed! Spoliers allowed!.

Click here to Jump to the final poll and view the contestants and results.

About Quarter To Three Movie Club

After some recent film discussions in various threads @ChristienMurawski and I started discussing what happened to Qt3 Movie Club and slowly decided that iwe really wanted to restart it and bring it back. We thought that if it was done as a fun game designed to maximize discussion and participation in Movie Club, it would keep everyone’s interest.

Here’s how it will work. Once a month, we’ll issue a call for nominations for a film. After a period of time, we’ll hold a vote via poll. Whatever film wins will be watched by a certain date. And then…well, we’ll review/comment/give impressions and discuss.

We’ll try to start with 10 days for nominations/voting, 10 days to watch the film and 10 days of discussion. But its new, so we’ll be flexible. Semper Gumby!

One thing we wanted was a dedicated cadre of useful idiots who would always provide reviews/comment/give impressions - The Four Stooges (because Three ain’t enough). So, we asked @Rock8man and @marquac to join us (I claim dibs on being the “Shemp” of the group). This would ensure maximum participation in all phases of Movie Club; even if you can’t find the time to write something up, you can still participate in the process, nominate and vote and later discuss, knowing that Four Stooges will dance to the tune of the Vox Populi. But we want as many members as possible to review/comment/give impressions on each film.

There may be more in the future, but there are already a few rules for Movie Club (I am a Board Wargamer, so I likes me some rules).

Rule 001 – Each film may only be used as a final selection once in Movie Club.
Rule 002 – Any film used in Movie club must have been released for two years (this prevents Movie Club overlapping unnecessarily with the Qt3 Movie Podcast).
Rule 003 – Every third film will be chosen by the Four Stooges, rotated amongst them. This is kind of a “Dealer’s Choice” reward for being a Movie Club “Stooge”.
Rule 004 – Any Qt3 member may nominate a film or vote for a film to be used (Including Stooges).
Rule 005 - “Campaigning” for a film to be voted for in the polling is absolutely encouraged, but only in general terms about films while voting. It can lead to spoiler-land quickly. If campaigning for or against a film, feel free to discuss the pros and cons of the director, your preferences regarding actors, genre, etc. All of that is fair game. But no story or plot details. So discussing around a film is fine. About a film story/structure while voting? Off-limits.
Rule 006 - As discussion of a film means that it will be spoiled out of necessity, all films will have a due date to be watched. After that point, open “Spolier” discussion of that film will occur. Participants, you have been warned.
Rule 007 - If a film is not readily available for viewing (difficult to procure/access, as determined by the Stooges) and it wins the poll, the runner up will perform all official duties of the Poll winner, who shall be disqualified.

So, without further ado, I’d ask the other Stooges to pipe in.

I’ll also ask any and all Qt3ers to step up and start making nominations for the Film 0001 of Quarter to Three Movie Club! Just make your nominations in the thread! After about 4-5 days, we’ll stop the nominations and a poll will be provided for voting.

Let the Quarter to Three Movie Club Thread (re) Begin!

I move that the word useful be struck from the @Navaronegun’s post. Useful is far to strong a word for what I can bring to the table and I don’t want the fine folks of Qt3 to be let down.

Straight up “Idiots” it is!

Fun idea. Just a word of caution, now that many ShawScope films are available on Netflix, I would likely be doing my best to subject you all to 70’s and 80’s Hong Kong filmography at its finest, mixed with a spattering of Indian films.

Which brings to mind, what would the requirements be for access? Presumably having availability on one or more major streaming platforms would be, if not required, strongly encouraged, no?

Deep inside the Qt3 movie think tank, a process begins taking shape …

Sanjit Ray = :)
Bollywood = :(

Hence the “Stooges”. Everyone else should just do the best they can. The Stooges have worked out a compact of sorts so that all movies will get watched.

Sounds like fun.

Don’t forget:

I’ll kick off the nominations:

THE CASTLE OF SAND

I’m gonna save Hot Dog The Movie for a future pick.

I’ll go more modern, and do Donnie Yen’s big star turn.

Though you must know 70’s Shaw productions will come at some point ;)

How about a Western Eastern whatever? John Candy…c’mon…

This is no longer on Netflix, but by god, y’all need this experience in your lives:

It may be the most clinically insane movie I have ever seen.

It is on Amazon Prime…

Attack of the Killer Tomatoes.

Nailed it🍅

Needs more Western:

This sounds like an excellent idea/revival. We’ll need to get our act together with our disc-based service to ensure we get the movies in time (should they not be available via streaming).

Will think about my first nomination.

-Tom

See the rules. If it isn’t available, oh well. The one thing that will happen with this movie club, is the trains will run on time (we will make our month mark without delays…).

I’ve got this teed up, so I might as well nominate it:

It’s part of the criterion collection, so finding it shouldn’t be be a problem.