Quarter to Three presents the 2015 Quarterly Awards

Title Quarter to Three presents the 2015 Quarterly Awards
Author Tom Chick
Posted in Features
When December 21, 2015

Welcome to the sometime annual awards ceremony for the 2015 Quarterlies! Our panel of judge (not pictured, left) has carefully considered all the nominations and Steve Harvey is about to reveal the lucky winners (not pictured, right), each of whom will receive (not real

Read the full article

An interesting set of categories! To be fair, people who owned Divinity: Original Sin and Darksiders (with the DLC) got the enhanced editions for free - so we benefit AND they get to profit from new customers.

Was just coming to point out what Rob did: not only do I have a kind of guilty pleasure for remasters, but in the case of Darksiders and especially Divinity: OS Enhanced, the remaster was free for current owners and added a ton of great stuff.

Wait, is that true for console owners as well? I thought they were separate releases.

And in terms of polishing up games and adding content for free, I think Wasteland 2's director's cut did this as well.

Well, Original Sin wasn't on consoles before the Enhanced Edition. But I suspect you're probably right about Darksiders. After all, there's barely continuity of software between the console generations, much less the idea that a game for a new system might not ding you again just because you owned it for a previous generation. There are a few re-releases that include downloadable software-emulated copies of related games, at least, but that's more of a thing for newcomers than people wanting to update the games they already had.

It probably doesn't need to be said, but Helldivers is absolutely transcendent with one or more friends joining you to make a regular group. Some casual talk on the mic makes it easy to blast through six or seven planets and unlock enough stratagems for everyone to have a unique and complementary loadout. No grinding necessary, not unless you think that getting access to all content as soon as possible is the way that games have to be played (an impression that AAA collect-a-thons have encouraged but not flattered over the years).

I will say that, unless you can count on one or more friends joining you, it's probably not worth your time. The solo content, while playable, is not particularly fun, and the less said about the multiplayer matchmaking, the better. Even more than Payday 2, the team-based coop shooter from which I jumped ship (see the its entry in the article above), Helldivers does not suffer fools and, in a game where team-killing is a single over-hasty pull of the trigger away, it's not hard to be a fool — virtually impossible for your average yahoo pubbing it. Really, it's an experience for people who trust and understand each other (even when a shallow-angle shot from a bazooka ricochets and blows up the mission objective along with half the team) and the internet at large isn't really there yet.

There were also Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin. Some of its content people got for free.

It's a shame to see Evolve win the Hey, Where Did Everybody Go? award. One out of every five games of Evolve is a tense, exhilarating stealth-action game.

The other four are a game about sprinting back and forth across a jungle with three other public server bozos like 5th graders chasing a soccer ball.

OS: Enhanced was created in part (or in full) because they were making a console release, so they rolled the enhancements into the PC version and gave that to PC owners for free.

So how did you retcon Atom Zombie Smasher into being the first game reviewed on this site? Oh, how soon we forget Rails Across America and Flying Heroes!

I'm glad you acknowledged that the remastering thing is both good and bad. On the one hand, I don't want to pay for a game a second time around. On the other, when done right, it's a game I loved with better framerate and sharper graphics, and if I'm really lucky improvements to balance or new gameplay features.

God help me, I'm looking forward to the Odin Sphere re-release and hoping Sony remasters God of War: Ascension. And it goes without saying that I'd buy Okami a fourth time if the HD version made it to PS4.

Damn fine post sir

what he said

Well, the first game reviewed once Qt3 relaunched in its current incarnation. We have a catalogue of reviews now that begins with Atom Zombie Smasher. Anything from before then is lost in the ether of the internet.

Hmmm. Go to the link below and click on "Best Game: Winner"

http://www.quartertothree.com/...

I have no idea who wrote that or why he's using my name at the top of the page, but my lawyers are on it.

That reminds me: Atom Zombie Smasher was brilliant and I haven't played enough of it.

I shouldn't have read what you wrote here about Diablo 3, because it finally pushed me over the threshold of buying and downloading Reaper of Souls

Throw Overwatch onto the "hurry up and release" list. I played the beta a month ago and everything was polished and included. The game was ready.

But it's not set for release until JUNE? There's no way the beta I played still needed 7 more months of cooking.

I want to play Darksiders 2. I really do. But I can't bring myself to play it as long as the fate of Darksiders 3 is up in the air.

Correction:
"It’s in early access even thought [sic] it’s mostly feature-complete"