Quarterlies 2018! The Qt3 forum readers’ choice for the best game of 2018 is ...

May I say I love the colour scheming of your document.

I am thoroughly deeply amused by and happy over the fact that a super traditional, charming, and decidedly not PC strategy esque JRPG cracked the top ten. Dragon Quest is a fine, FINE game, and I’m really happy so many of y’all got to play it!

Thanks to our organizers and to all the voters; that thread cost me a lot of money in the Steam sale…

Thanks for arranging this @arrendek and @Brooski . There is still a fundamental issue with these rankings where generally the games released earlier in the year have a much better chance of ranking higher because people have actually played them. This year #1 & #2 were released in January and April respectively. I’m really looking forward to some sort of future poll where people vote for their best game in the last 5/10/15 years. This would be a truer guide as to what the hive mind’s actual opinion is.

Well, won’t you have the same issue that 5 year old games will have seen more circulation and gametime than a 3 month old game? Whereas the more recent game will benefit from being fresh in everyones minds. So no timeframe will be objectively better or 100% conclusive…

Yes to some extent, it’s hard to get this right. Maybe run the quarterlies in July for the previous year.

If RDR2 released on PC last year it would probably have won. It shot itself in the foot. :(

Guess I have to make time for Battletech!

That is a surprise, I didn’t see that much enthusiasm for Battletech. Congrats to Hairebrained.

Thanks for organizing the vote, these are always fun! (Am I allowed to use fun in this context?)

Great job on doing all the work for this. Battletech winning surprised me too, I will have to dust it off the backlog list. It was interesting seeing all the different games QT3er’s like in 2018.

Why? We’re (almost) all old neckbearded 40somethings here? BATTLETECH sits smackdab right in the middle of our demographic. It’s slow and simmy and full of that extra spicy nostalgia sauce that sells so well. Of course we love it! I know I did :D

Thanks. I do lots of UI work so it’s good to know some of the color scheme stuff I’ve used has rubbed off on me.

Great summary, Bruce. And Well done with the back-end, Arrendek. Those top two contenders seem like great choices (although I haven’t tried Battletech yet).

Shocked to see Dragon Quest in there! I don’t really know anything about it, but it’s exciting to see something different.

Happy to see quite a few indies on the list, but my biggest disappointment is that Return of the Obra Dinn didn’t crack the top ten. It’s done well on quite a few best-of lists. I think it’s extraordinary and hope more people play it. That means you, @tomchick!

I’ve only skipped it because it looks like a TI-85 BASIC game, and I have standards, dammit!

It’s one of the best looking games of the year! You have seen it in motion, right?

Well, now I have. I just saw a review.

I thought it might occasionally distract me, but I no longer thought about it 5 minutes after starting the game.

I guess why it surprised me’ although right in my wheelhouse being turn-based’ it didn’t grab me when I played it. It could be I was never into the BattleTech universe when it came out back in the day. To be fair I didn’t give it a long enough look and do plan to revisit it. Us 50somethings are wise enough (sometimes) to listen to you youngsters :)

Battletech winning didn’t shock me, but I was surprised Spider-Man didn’t finish in the top ten.

That surprises me too. I mean, I didn’t play it, but it looked like a lot of fun.

Platform exclusives – especially Playstation ones – are underrepresented here. Spider-Man and Red Dead Redemption got a bum deal. How did that Hunger Games Girl vs Robot Dinosaurs game do here? I imagine it had the same problem getting votes here.

-Tom