Quarterlies 2018! The Qt3 forum readers’ choice for the best game of 2018 is ...

Battletech winning didn’t shock me, but I was surprised Spider-Man didn’t finish in the top ten.

That surprises me too. I mean, I didn’t play it, but it looked like a lot of fun.

Platform exclusives – especially Playstation ones – are underrepresented here. Spider-Man and Red Dead Redemption got a bum deal. How did that Hunger Games Girl vs Robot Dinosaurs game do here? I imagine it had the same problem getting votes here.

-Tom

On the contrary, Horizon: Zero Dawn (or was it Horizon Zero: Dawn?) won the 2017 Quarterlies. But it came out earlier in the year, so it had hit bargain prices by Thanksgiving, and a lot more people had tried it.

It beat Agents of Mayhem? I feel like I don’t know you people any more.

-Tom

Every other game beat Agents of Mayhem last year. ;)

Battletech’s win is well deserved. Disappointed both Spider-man and God of War missed the list.

I’ve only played 3 in the top 10: Slay the Spire, Into the Breach, Rimworld - the first 2 I like a lot, not crazy about Rimworld.

Two others I own and plan on playing in the near future: Battletech, Subnautica

Four others I’d like to buy and play some day: Red Dead Redemption 2, AC Odyssey, Monster hunter World, Dead Cells

One that I probably wouldn’t be interested in: Dragon Quest XI

Marvel’s Spider-Man only got knocked out of the top 10 by Dead Cells with the very last vote, if I remember correctly.

Correction: looks like it was second or third to last vote. Or thereabouts.

I played Battletech, but got stuck on the plot mission where you have to - wait for it - protect a bunch of convoy trucks. Fucking protect missions, man. The worst.

After giving it about five tries I shelved it.

I really liked playing BattleTech at the time, and I voted for it, but my heart wasn’t into it. Bruce wisely didn’t quote me!

If anyone can’t seem to get into it, I wouldn’t bang your head against the wall forever.

The people that @Brooski did quote weren’t exactly effusive with their praise either.

Yeah, I’m way too lazy to do it but I’d like to see a comparison between the top 5 of how many each got voted #1, #2, etc. Battletech seems like it won on a preponderance of lower-down votes, although that’s an entirely subjective impression of mine.

“Battletech: It Was Pretty Ok, We Guess”

Careful with that! DQ games have that JRPG image stuck to them, while they are probably closer to classical CRPGs than you’d suspect. Disclaimer: haven’t had the luck to enjoy DQ11 yet.

That breakdown is in the original post. There’s a little chart that shows it.

Bah I forgot Everspace. Can we redo everything?

Seriously thanks Brooski, Arrendek and anyone else invovled in this. Lot of fun.

Ah, thanks. And yep, Subnautica did get more #1 votes, but not by as much as I imagined.

Battletech has all the elements I’m looking for in a game, and it’s well done, but I shelved it at some point. To me, it’s a plodding game, just too slow and heavy for my taste.

I noticed that, and I’m waiting to buy the game until it’s more deeply discounted. And this was Game of the Year.

So I put to the forum, was 2018 a strong or weak year for new releases compared to recent years?

I think 2018 was a fantastic year, but I’m usually looking at the indie scene, which was very vibrant this year.