Quarterlies 2018! The Qt3 forum readers’ choice for the best game of 2018 is ...

Careful with that! DQ games have that JRPG image stuck to them, while they are probably closer to classical CRPGs than you’d suspect. Disclaimer: haven’t had the luck to enjoy DQ11 yet.

That breakdown is in the original post. There’s a little chart that shows it.

Bah I forgot Everspace. Can we redo everything?

Seriously thanks Brooski, Arrendek and anyone else invovled in this. Lot of fun.

Ah, thanks. And yep, Subnautica did get more #1 votes, but not by as much as I imagined.

Battletech has all the elements I’m looking for in a game, and it’s well done, but I shelved it at some point. To me, it’s a plodding game, just too slow and heavy for my taste.

I noticed that, and I’m waiting to buy the game until it’s more deeply discounted. And this was Game of the Year.

So I put to the forum, was 2018 a strong or weak year for new releases compared to recent years?

I think 2018 was a fantastic year, but I’m usually looking at the indie scene, which was very vibrant this year.

2018 was a fantastic year, which I think helps a game like Battletech here at QT3 - it fits the demographic well and powered up the rankings by sheer volume of votes. Spider-Man and God of War - two excellent games by all accounts - if I had to guess, were underrepresented because this is a primarily PC gaming forum, and any Sony contingent may have split votes between the two (as an aside - sorry for knocking you out of the top 10 Spider-Man; I’m sure I’ll love the game and it’s sitting on my shelf but I haven’t cracked it open yet).

I also think that with so many great games releasing this year, that there are plenty here who haven’t had the time to sink into something that would slot into their top 5 (and that choosing only 5 games from such a long list is really hard). I’m guilty of that with both Spider-Man and God of War.

There are probably exceptions, but I feel like we’re on at least 10-15 years worth of every year being a fantastic one for new releases. Maybe more. I can’t remember a single year since I’ve been involved with the hobby enough to buy new games where I haven’t struggled to keep up with everything I wanted to play and been really impressed by big chunks of what I did play.

Wait, that was this year, too? Man, I really flubbed my own lists. What is it about space games that I develop a blind spot at the end of the year??? Space Tyrant, Deep Sixed, and now Everspace. Boo, me.

-Tom

Same for Forza Horizon 4. I felt it deserved a higher place in the rankings. It’s such a joy to travel the world throughout the cycling seasons. But the bad reputation of the Windows store and it being Xbox only on console likely didn’t help.

Nope, Everspace came out May 2017.

Being PS4-only didn’t seem to be a problem for Horizon Zero Dawn last year. And there’s actually a lot of overlap between the voters for God of War and Marvel’s Spider-Man: combining the votes only gets you to 65, barely in 8th place.

@Rock8Man’s theory about this being just due to the release dates seems a bit implausible as well. This year’s games were selling far better than Horizon.

I finished both God of War and Spider-Man, and was annoyed by both games half the time. Both did some things well but other things incredibly badly. (The characters and dialogue in God of War were top notch, but I didn’t care for the combat at all and hated the moronic single-shot camera. Spider-Man had one of the best traversal system in a game, but everything else about the gameplay was stale and mediocre. Especially the grindy progression systems). After maybe 5 hours in both games I just started following the critical path for the main quest to just to be finished with them.

Even the bots have funny names now.