Quarterlies 2020! The Qt3 forum readers’ choice for best game of 2020 is …

So the take home here is I eventually need to try Hades. But I have been ‘burned’ by that studio’s titles before. Bought every one of them and bounced right off each time. I want to like their games but for whatever reason I am never drawn in enough to get interested to keep playing more than an hour or two.

Thanks to @Brooski and @arrendek as always! Always interesting to see what floats to the top, what lurks at the bottom, and everything in between.

For what little it’s worth (as someone who’s liked all their games at least a little), Hades seems like the most mechanically robust thing they’ve ever done. Like, Transistor and Pyre’s gameplay just don’t really gel for me, and Bastion was fun but I never really did much more than button mash and still muddled through.

Cheers to @Brooski and @arrendek for putting this together, it’s always a lot of fun and the nominations thread always exposes me to some interesting stuff I didn’t know about. Guess I’m going to have to check out Hades when time allows…

Nice Top 30 games here.

The e on the Score title header, improperly spaced thus forced to the 2nd line. Who is in charge here!?!?!

1-11-2021 2-27-04 PM

;)

Glad to see Monster Train make the top ten.

While I bought it on Switch, it’s on PC, and I’d guess the vast majority of Qt3 voters played the Windows version…

(EDIT: Thanks, @Kolbex, my brain went to the #1 spot and I forgot about ANCH there.)

I think he’s talking about ACNH.

Factorio got more #1 votes than either Wasteland or that Switch exclusive.

Factorio’s partisans are indeed frightening in their ardor. I think it’s a pretty cool game.

I wonder if ANCH would have made the Top 5 in a different year? It was the perfect pandemic game, but many of the insane number of hours I put into it would have been spent watching shows, performing, going out with friends, etc. for me in a normal year.

I think it’s pretty cool, but would be a lot cooler if I didn’t have to spend most of my time playing it fiddling with those damn sorter arms. Enormous respect to it, however, for spawning a whole logistics subgenre, a lot of which I enjoy more than the original.

I am shamed!

I like it but the moment I looked at my factory and realized I had to reorganize it to account for new science production was the breakpoint between myself and its true adherents, because for me that sounded like an endless chore but for them that’s where the game really begins. For me Factorio is best multiplayer where my buddy can do what he likes to do and worry about refactoring the factory and I can just go off and build new power grids and mining outposts to keep his factory fed or hop in a tank and clear out a biter nest.

Yup. I’m enormously glad it exists for the folks that enjoy it, but personally I prefer the various Factorio-lites out there. That said, it belongs on the list precisely because of how much influence it exerted on gaming, even as an early-access title.

Geez, all those votes for CP2077, one of the all-time worst releases.

Lots of folks desperate to justify the scratch and faith they gave to CDPR, I guess. Polish Derangement Syndrome.

Based on our list, 2020 was a shite year for significant PC releases, other than the paradigm-shifting MSFS.

Edit: thank goodness for continuing support to “older” games and backlogs. I basically played nothing from 2020 but MSFS (godlike) and CP2077 (shelved until it’s no longer dogshit)

Honestly, if you’d told me Cyberpunk would come out and not win Qt3’s GOTY, I wouldn’t have believed you. I didn’t play it yet, but after following along in the thread, I’m still surprised it didn’t win. Unlike most places on the net where I’ve seen a huge negative reaction, the reaction in the main Cyberpunk thread here was mixed, but still mostly positive.

That’s uncalled-for.

I would hope that within this community we can disagree about our own opinions of an entertainment product without being called deluded or disingenous. (for the record, I’m waiting for the next-gen version to be out before touching it, so have no dog in the fight).

Ridiculous. Yes, it’s got problems and I don’t blame anyone for not liking it (nor did I put it on my own personal GOTY list, though that’s partly because I haven’t played enough to have a final opinion on it), but it’s not in the top 90% of worst games on Steam, nor even most broken at release.