Quarterlies 2021! The Qt3 forum readers’ choice for best game of 2021 is …

Dang, I forgot to vote. Not that it would have mattered much, but I am surprised that my second place game got zero votes, and my first place (by a massive margin) only 4.

oh well.

I bet Wildermyth split the RPG vote, because otherwise WotR probably would’ve won.

Old World (on Steam) is my most anticipated game of… 2022?

Haha , yeah its in my top 5 next year for sure!

Tell me more

I also voted for and said things about Old World, but Brooski didn’t include my comments, so for the sake of posterity vanity, here they are:

Surely just releasing on Steam shouldn’t count as a new platform. It’s still just on PCs! Or is it coming out for consoles? I couldn’t find any info on that.

Metroid Dread, Mario 3D World: Bowser’s Fury, Old World, not sure. there is a fourth 2021 release I played.

But Nintendo just isn’t something most people here play so they miss out on the absolutely hilarious joy of playing Mario 3D world 4 player with the fammily.

Once again Qt3 voting has chosen the correct winner.

Ack! Sorry about that, @Kolbex. I’ll edit the post.

EDIT: Edited! Although I see why I missed it the first time - you had your comments below your list, Which is totally fine. My bad.

Well, er, you see … it was kind of a joke. Sort of!

The simple fact of having kids at the right age would definitely tend to change one’s gaming landscape, I’m sure. I’ll get there in a few years.

I mean, I can only speak for myself, but if I actually find time to play it and enjoy it I’m definitely treating it as a 2022 release since, for my purposes, it is. Doesn’t mean anyone else will, though it looks like I may not be alone…

You could vote for it in the Actualies, then, but for the Super Official Voting Rules of the Quarterlies I will knit my brows sternly and say it shouldn’t be permitted!

I feel that way about a lot of the definitive editions that get voted for. In the end, though, it doesn’t really matter because you need a critical mass of voters to have an impact and it’s very clear that Old World is “past peak” on this forum even if I suspect it may find a broader audience when it gets a winder release in the larger gaming community.

Me, too! This is why, for example, I didn’t vote for Disco Elysium even though I technically could have. Honestly, I have a good old fashioned internal grumble about ports making games eligible again. Give some new games a chance, jeez!

Oh don’t get me wrong, Metroid Dread would have been my top game in this, or almost any other year, regardless.

But I’ll admit Bowser’s Fury definitely gets a large boost from playing with my kids. It is a very good game in general, but the sheer comedy of playing with my 8 and 5 year olds definitely elevates it.

But even aside from all that Qt3 definitely is an outlier with Nintendo in general. More a reflection on the people here than anything else.

I can only speak for myself but I haven’t had a living room console of any stripe since the PS2. The kid reaching “gaming age” will be a reason to pick one up, which would then presumably make the broader range of titles on said console available for consideration (in the highly dubious timeline where i have time to play them anyway - though if I have tenure by that point maybe that’s not a completely insane dream).

I do think the age range has a lot to do with it. I’m not qualified to say, though, because I’m the kid that went straight from an Atari 7800 to a Sega Genesis and only played the NES at friends and relatives places. So, I don’t get the same nostalgia hit with those properties.

I really love the Old World logo and think Tom should have used it for his avatar instead of that thing that looks like a blurry Boy Scout:

Old_World_logo_full

It is cool, I liked it enough to suggest to Soren and team they ought to sell a t-shirt with it.

That’s quite fascinating to me, as it didn’t even occur to me that Old World was in the lead. All the discussions made me think it was just Pathfinder and Wildermyth.

That made me laugh, and felt tied to the discussion about videogame storytelling at Tom’s own list. I wonder if I’ll get into Old World, eventually.

Thank you both of you guys, B and A, for your work on this yearly event.

Old World, Hitman 3, and not a lot more.