Quarterlies 2021! The Qt3 forum readers’ choice for best game of 2021 is …

One day we might even stop being surprised by this!

Just a quick post to say thanks to ‘The Big Le @Brooski’ and @arrendek for taking the time to put this all together. Top work, Gentlemen.

Congrats on the Best Soundtrack as well! And thanks for making such a great game.

It’s January of 2023! I thought I would check to see if @Brooski and @arrendek are available to run the Quarterlies for last year, as they have for a number of years, or if we should be recruiting a new set of volunteers. No pressure on either of them! I just love the Quarterlies tradition and hope to see it continue another year.

I don’t think Arrendek is available this year, but I am willing to run the Quarterlies without the script. See upcoming post/thread/thing.

EDIT: Thread is up.

Yay! Thanks, Bruce!

Alas, it seems QT3 opinion is not that mainstream.

I have to say here I haven’t played Old World, but it seemed curious to me the disagreement with the overall Steam opinion:

Curious enough at least to make this post. Remember Steam aggregate % reviews works like RottenTomatoes, it’s yes/no, which means products that are just ‘fine’ but have a broad appeal get high scores, while products that are more divisive have lower scores, even if the ones that like it really like it. So it seems at least some of the mechanics of the game are a bit polarizing.

Wildermyth on the other hand is really liked on Steam, with 95% positive.
Pathfinder is at respectable 84%.

Honestly, I cannot put much stock in Steam percentages.

Partly, as you say, it’s a yes/no vote. So a large number of “pretty much okay” opinions looks just like a large number of “great gaming experience” votes.

But the other thing is that certain games attract opposition. Sometimes a political angle. Sometimes a nostalgic reaction to the way a game changes earlier games in the series. While the only people who voted down a game like Wildermyth are people who actually played it and really didn’t like the gaming experience itself.

in old world 's case, probably its year of being an EGS exclusive was enough to warrant a lot of downvotes. And in a microcosmos where Offworld Trading Company is misunderstood, what can one expect of numbers anyway.

That’s a good point, I liked OTC a lot, I don’t understand why it has less than 80% on Steam…

I think Old World’s reviews are probably skewed on Steam due to being an EGS exclusive for awhile; it’ll be missing a lot of positive reviews from people (like myself) who purchased early elsewhere. I’ve seen this trend with other releases following this pattern.