Question for people who watch game videos

I can take it or leave it. After a while you forget it’s there.

I was playing around with capturing video just to see if I’d like it. Since I already had NVidea ShadowPlay installed I figured I’d try it. Seemed to work OK. I dug up an old microphone I had and plugged it into the mic port on my computer (on board audio). I captured some game footage and spoke some test lines in the mic. Played the video and didn’t hear it.

I went into the control panel - Sound - recording Devices. The microphone was recognized. When I speak into it the level indicator registers 0-1 lines. I checked the levels and the mic was at 100. I even tried adding some boost. Tried recording again and couldn’t hear myself again. I cranked the volume up and watched the video and then could hear myself.

The mic has ‘dynamic microphone 500 ohm’ written on it. Any idea why the levels are so low when using it? I didn’t want to really spend any money on this yet because I don’t know if it is something I’ll like doing. If this doesn’t work any ideas on the cheapest solution? Thanks

Edit: Found a cheap desktop microphone I forgot I had. Still a bit quiet but much better. My current problems is that it only records on the left channel. Windows 7 doesn’t seem to have any setting to tell it to record a mono input on the left and right channel. I’m guessing that my Sony Movie Studio could convert that to both channels, but it would be nice if it would just record to both channels.

1. edited, but that’s because I don’t watch footage types (things like full PvP matches in MOBA type play unedited better)
    2 &3) this varies. If it’s a new game or a new encounter/gameplay element in an expansion then though process is good both for how to approach it and will I like it, But if it isn’t new then no, I am looking up the video with a specific goal and clueless me + clueless video is not good. The issue for the video maker is that the video may be up there when content is new, but stays up when content is old. *
  2. less than 10 mins **
  3. What type of humor varies on how well they pull it off. But, you need to do something to avoid boring people with droning on. If not humor then vary excitement levels or have some standard phrases you repeat with emphasis. It is a standard public speaking problem really. Just do something, humor is just one tool.

My son is using shadowplay right now to record some of his PvP stuff. It works much better for him to do it in two steps. First he records and other than usual headset chatter, he is quiet. Then he cuts the video where appropriate and dubs it if needed. I am pretty sure some of the MMO raid encounter videos are also dubbed later since some of the comments are reflecting on the strategy. Then you need to record using no headset content (and privacy of other members on voice chat is a concern).

Labeling:

• Label the videos please: Preview, First Look, Strategy, In Depth etc. Use terms that let me know this is a new run through for you. If I am considering the game and want low spoilers I want that. Clueless is great even after the game is old if I didn’t get it yet. If I am stuck on something, or have 20 minutes to prepare to sub in for someone on something I haven’t done then I want a concise expert.

** While I don’t watch these, the long format showing unedited footage some do like, I like those to be labelled “Let’s Play” so I can avoid them! But others may look for them.

if your videos are well labelled, I’m more likely to return to the channel.