R.I.P. Prima Games

I might not be as well seasoned as some of you, but I can’t stand listening to most videos in gaming or podcast. I just want to spend a minute looking something up and get back to playing. I don’t often have to look things up these days though. Maybe it’s just my perception, but there are more games that give you more than one way to do things so less my way or the highway need to look up something precisely. Or that could just be the type of games i play.

Niche games like Rimworld, still plenty of written material , same with EU IV.

I enjoy watching other people play games, but I don’t consider that in any way, shape or form a viable substitute for a searchable text document where I can find the solution to a specific problem I am having or just easily follow along in my own play without having to constantly pause and unpause.

I wondered why we hadn’t gotten a PRIMA guide for a few games I really assumed we would have, like Pillars 2 and Pathfinder. Seemed odd to me. I suppose now I know why.

Now that I consider it, I stopped buying game guides pretty much when I stopped buying physical copies of games.

Seconded. Though this is a VERY close second, IMO:

http://www.migman.com/sw/EF2000/pics/stratguide_fr.jpg

Strategy guides – the goods ones – had one great advantage: They were great for reading in bed. All the more so if they had good artwork, as well.

The Fantasy General guide was even better than the Moo guide.

Ooh! Ooh! I have that one.

It’s amazing isn’t it?!

I don’t remember if they were published by Prima, but I know I bought the strategy guides for both MOO 3 and Compost Outpost well in advance of release of the actual games, which served to get me even more excited about both.

Pfui.

Yeah. I have to look for it.

I sometimes pull out my City of Heroes guide. I miss that game.

Don’t make me cry today. :(

I worked for them in 1999 for about a year. Great team, but it was often actual hard work, unlike writing reviews :)

I looked it up, and reading this, my heart is broken. I was born too late, too far away!

Published by SimTech, 1996. This is probably the best strategy guide ever, for one of the best sims ever. This huge guide covers every aspect of combat flying in the EF2000, from basic flight (even performance curves) to specific tips on air to air and air to ground training missions. The explanation of the use of padlock views is the best I have ever seen, bar none. Missile avoidance is also well done. This is a labor of love by a group of enthusiasts who spent hundreds of hours playing this sim and documenting what works and what doesn’t.

Yeah, it’s a really amazing book. Keep an eye out on ebay, they show up there sometimes.

Not sure about this listing without a picture, but it’s worth the asking price if it is indeed brand new.

Actually, I already ordered one from my local amazon, although it will be used! But I secretly hope there might be some pen markings. I always enjoy stumbling upon those.
I need to stop ordering those books, but I love them so much! There are the mariage of my two favourite medias: games, and smelly paper things.

OH yay! I hope you love it as much as we do. It’s such an impressive book.

Yes, I believe it would be.

But I will still miss Prima Games guides for future titles.