http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/Music/06/10/obit.ray.charles.ap/index.html

:(

Damn :cry:

R.I.P. my man . . .

Bet he didnt see it coming.

Bet he didnt see it coming.

<clap, clap>

Let the tasteless jokes begin.

You, sir, are going to a very special level of hell. A level they reserve for child molesters, and people who talk at the theater.

Somewhere a California Raisin sheds a tear…

Why?

That’s a glaring oversight for a supposed music aficionado to make.

That’s a glaring oversight for a supposed music aficionado to make.[/quote]

Well, I’m spinning my voluminous Ray Charles collection (I prefer the Atlantic stuff far more than the ABC/Dunhill years, btw…“Hallelujah I Love Her So” forthewin) and not seeing any connection whatsoever between Brother Ray and the California Raisins.

The Raisins danced to “Heard It Through The Grapevine” by Marvin Gaye. While both men are black, and towering figures in modern rock and soul, they are different people.

Thanks for playing.

Ray Charles was awesome. He should be lying in state in Washington DC instead of someone else…

You’re a fucking idiot.

I’d much rather see his funeral televised than Reagan’s.

But I’ll at least watch The Blues Brothers in his memory.

[quote=“Cool_Breeze”]

You’re a fucking idiot.[/quote]

Yeah, I’ll concede that your knowledge of banal TV commercials probably dwarfs mine. Congratulations on that. Your pride is certainly understandable–given the choice of knowing a lot about a legendary performer or a lot about claymation commercial entities, you chose the latter, and I salute you on this.

The Raisins commercial that I remember used “Grapevine”, and it was the one that spawned all the godawful merch and even an album. That they later tried co-opting other legends of soul for ill purpose shouldn’t surprise me, but I’m sure glad I never had to see any of it.

You just proved my point.

You’re a fucking idiot.[/quote]

Yeah, I’ll concede that your knowledge of banal TV commercials probably dwarfs mine. Congratulations on that. Your pride is certainly understandable–given the choice of knowing a lot about a legendary performer or a lot about claymation commercial entities, you chose the latter, and I salute you on this.

The Raisins commercial that I remember used “Grapevine”, and it was the one that spawned all the godawful merch and even an album. That they later tried co-opting other legends of soul for ill purpose shouldn’t surprise me, but I’m sure glad I never had to see any of it.[/quote]

I bought the California Raisins album. On cassette even.

For some reason I thought Ray was older than 73. He’s been around forever it seems. I also didn’t know that he started out as a C&W artist. The things you learn when someone passes. :(

This could all have been avoided if someone would have just done a google on Ray Charles California Raisin first.

Yeah well. Rather than trying to remember something that godawful or remain blissully unaware, I’m pretty happy I chose the latter. When that one-off commercial was getting aired, Atlantic had just released The Birth Of Soul comprising all of Ray’s stuff with Jerry Wexler and Ahmet Ertegun at the controls from 1955-1959, and that’s how I’ve chosen to honor Brother Ray’s memory for the last 12 hours or so. I think it’s one of the best boxes I’ve ever bought, and I’ll note it can be had for under $30 used from Amazon right now. If the only Ray you know is the smooth stuff from his 1960’s work on ABC/Dunhill, (that’d be the “Georgia” and “Cryin’ Time” era) this is like a revelation. Pre-heroin treatment, Ray sounded downright grungy, desperate, and utterly impassioned. If “What’d I Say” gets your blood rushing, this is a whole box set in the same, ahem, vein.

BTW, I think it’s sort of cute that someone out there in the world thinks that the California Raisins are de rigeur for the “music aficionados” of the world, whatever and whomever that term applies to.

Well, “cute” or “the most pathetic thing I’ve read this week”. I go back and forth.

How does a thread about the death of the great Ray Charles devolve into an argument about the California Raisins? Oh yeah, this is the Internet…

aficionados implies a greater knowledge of music, even the less “1337” side of it.

Yeah well. Rather than trying to remember something that godawful or remain blissully unaware, I’m pretty happy I chose the latter. When that one-off commercial was getting aired, Atlantic had just released The Birth Of Soul comprising all of Ray’s stuff with Jerry Wexler and Ahmet Ertegun at the controls from 1955-1959, and that’s how I’ve chosen to honor Brother Ray’s memory for the last 12 hours or so. I think it’s one of the best boxes I’ve ever bought, and I’ll note it can be had for under $30 used from Amazon right now. If the only Ray you know is the smooth stuff from his 1960’s work on ABC/Dunhill, (that’d be the “Georgia” and “Cryin’ Time” era) this is like a revelation. Pre-heroin treatment, Ray sounded downright grungy, desperate, and utterly impassioned. If “What’d I Say” gets your blood rushing, this is a whole box set in the same, ahem, vein.

BTW, I think it’s sort of cute that someone out there in the world thinks that the California Raisins are de rigeur for the “music aficionados” of the world, whatever and whomever that term applies to.

Well, “cute” or “the most pathetic thing I’ve read this week”. I go back and forth.[/quote]

You’re like a Simpsons character come to life.