Race for the Galaxy

Brainscan is @magnet

and I strongly reccomend turning Takeovers off. They were a poor idea, implemented badly. Not a knock on @Greysphere at all, he merely did a fantastic job translating to mobile.

Re: Takeovers

Yeah I found I didn’t really understand Takeovers until implementing them in the app. This thread on BGG has a telling quote:

600-1000 plays: still implements some aspect of the takeover rules wrong

But honestly, when the app does the finicky parts for you, things can be a lot clearer. But yeah, to get there the takeover implementation took like 3 major revisions and we actually have one more turn of the crank planned. And RvI only has 3 takeover powers, ha!

We’re in the middle of a game, letting you know I’m away from tablet for a few minutes, bringing in groceries.

Yes, to be clear my objection has nothing to do with the finickiness of it. It has a more fundamental problem, in that it is a card that may come out, but actively punishes players pursuing mixed strategies. It basically forces you to devote 100% to military, or 100% avoid it. Because if you place, say, the Imperium Blaster Gem Factory, a great 6 cost Rare Elements planet, with a great consume power and +1 military? Now you expose your production engine to getting ganked.

Or if you have to adjust your plan mid game because of card draws. One of the beauties of RftG is that it encourages you being adaptable, based on what cards you see. Exploring is a lower value action, unless you are fishing for specific 6 cost developments. So being able to make the best use of cards you draw is critical. Sometimes you simply don’t get the military cards you need, or your best option is to respec into military. Being punished for that due to takeovers just doesn’t sit right with me.

I have strong feelings on this you see. I hate takeovers, but it is a small misstep in an otherwise superb game. And, like you said, only 3 cards even trigger them, so turning off takeovers isn’t abandoning some fundamental game component. It’s simply ignoring a poor design choice.

I’m really glad you included the toggle for them! That was a huge relief for me :)

@magnet Goog game, good job.

I’m currently installing this on my wife’s tablet. I’ll probably teach her to play by streaming her device to our TV and then watching her play step-by-step giving feedback as she goes. I myself only have the basics down, so there’s nowhere to go from here but up, for both of us.

Oh yea, playing the game again has reminded me of a certain card my wife and I always called Kris Kristofferson.

I mean, it looks just like him.

I bought the game, stars in my eyes, hoping for the best, and… Well, the best happened.
The game is so smooth, what a pleasure to play on my iRelic.

Also the screenshots may look scary if you have never been exposed to the game like I was, but all those numbers at the top are actually just indication of your opponents’ hands, not some sort of resources counters you need to keep track of, like I was affraid they might be (Agricola traumatisms are tough to forget).
Looking forward to getting familiarized with the game and its interactions.

Thanks for inviting me in, Craig! I’ll hook up with the Slack group when I no longer feel overwhelmed with obligations! (That might be after E3, to be honest…) Hopefully by then people will still be playing Race!

The one on the left?

I have been playing the app for several days; having never played the board game. Still having trouble wrapping my head around Consume/Trade option. Did a search on BGG and found that a lot of folks have trouble with that, and those threads contained explanations that helped some.

So I get it now, I think, except for the timing. It seems like sometimes I trade for cards first, then activate consume powers. Sometimes I feel like it is in the other order. I don’t get the timing of that option.

Still, I’m doing better. Playing a game against Easy AI this morning, I cranked up a production/consume machine and trounced my opponent. I considered moving to Medium for my next game, but stayed at Easy… and lost my next two games. Have a lot to learn.

I really like the UI, particularly being able to consult the rules mid-game. I love the fact that the AI has three different levels, and hope to settle in shortly at Medium or Normal or whatever it is called. Too many games have no middle level – many seem either too easy or too difficult.

Its great fun. Kudos @Greysphere to you and the team.

Trade happens first, but only if you chose it. Then, if you still have resources available and consume abilities to use, you will do consume next. If you opponent chooses trade, you’ll only do the consume phase.

I played a few games, and maybe it is common knowledge, but I find the game a bit like a multiplayer solitary score attack (maybe because I am so bad at it): I only bother about my own board, and I don’t see any interactions with other players.Tthe only thing I occasionnaly check is if they own goods, so I don’t trigger a trading event that would help them, but that’s basically the extent of my current awareness.
This being said, it is a very cool solitaire game. Getting your stellar machine working at full regime is a great feeling… Still, no clue if I am playing this right!
And that port, oh my, that port. Not a single crash, not a single slowdown, not even a single glitch. It’s a thing of beauty. If Twilight Struggle could be that smooth!

[quote=“Left_Empty, post:40, topic:129851”] I don’t see any interactions with other players.Tthe only thing I occasionnaly check is if they own goods, so I don’t trigger a trading event

It’s can also be helpful to check their military, if it’s high expect frequent settles. Then check their hand size. If it’s low, then expect an explore or trade. If it’s high, then expect develop or settle. Also, if they produce and 2x consume in the same turn, then expect mostly those two for the rest of the game. If you are playing with goals, try to figure out which ones the other players want. Finally, pay close attention to any 6-cost development. If there still a lot of openings left in the tableau, expect whatever will maximize that development.

But it’s not unreasonable to see RFTG as a bit like multi-player solitaire. After all, the R stands for Race, and a race is the oldest form of multi-player solitaire.

It tells much that I do not know what the goals are, or even how to get a develop focused game going. Right now, I tend to work on getting a trade/produce routine going, whose cards fuel my later developments as to get tons of VP with 6-cost ones in the end game.
Is there an in-game library of the cards to get acquainted to them? I didn’t find it, maybe because it is somewhere really obvious.

Actually, goals are introduced in the first expansion so perhaps you haven’t played with them yet. No in game library AFAIK, but you will become familiar with all the archetypes soon enough.

Consume and produce is a perfectly valid strategy if you have the right cards for it. If not, you can try something else. Military worlds are often windfall worlds, and may work better with trade than consume/produce. There are also subspecialties of consume/produce that focus on blue or brown worlds. You can also specialize in green, yellow, or rebel worlds but those often require some military investment. Focusing on development is tricky but also viable if you have the right cards. In general RFTG rewards spotting opportunities and some risk taking, so don’t fixate your strategy too much early on.

That is helpful, thanks. I had no idea that’s how it worked.

I wish the iOS version used a pop-up message to name the opponent’s choice each turn. I know there’s a little icon in the opponent box, but I don’t always look.

But that’s nitpicky. Overall a great UI.

I didn’t even notice the nuance between “Consume” and “Trade”. Spells how fresh a player I am!
The game is incredibly dynamic. I think I will succumb to the expansions quite quickly.

I have another question: on some cards (mainly development ones, especially higher tier), there is a variety of symbols involving half colored circles. I don’t remember them being mentionned in the tutorial, and couldn’t find them in the rules. What do they symbolize?

I think it means that benefit applies to both military and non-military planets.

Another “doh!” for me. I don’t know why I find the iconography so confusing while it is really quite plain - like my brain is trying to overcomplicate things.

I think even the developer would admit the iconography is a learning curve. The great thing is that once you’ve grokked all the icons, it makes playing much easier.

Try this:

I… I have a lot to assimilate…
I didn’t think there were that many variations!