Racing games - GTR, Race07, Rfactor, etc

Agreed. For sportscars, I’d say the big enduros are Daytona 24, Sebring 12, Le Mans 24, Spa 24, and 24 Hours Nürburgring. For teams and racers, these are key bucketlist events.

As for layout, its really unique in its still basically the same layout and pavement for close to 70 years. Because of the pavement its bumpy like a street course, but big and fast. Its one of my favorite tracks, but then again I prefer the classics like Sebring, Brands Hatch, Mosport, Road America, etc over the new F1 style courses.

COTA is interesting in that it has some classic US style road course corners (T1, T7-11) but then some artificial modern F1 style corners (like T12-18)

Having a set event to practice for works well for me. Whether its a weekly league race, or a major team enduro event, the desire to get in and practice so I’m ready helps me keep focused. Plus with a good league you get to know the other drivers and hanging out and chatting post-race or during practice becomes part of the fun.

I had been wanting to watch Le Mans on Youtube this fall but the number of manufacturers is so small it kind of makes the race less fun.

Wow, my Fanatec CSL Elite wheel is preparing to ship. I figured since I was purchaser 3440 out of 3500 over Black Friday that I wouldn’t see it for months. They must have been cranking away this year to build an inventory like that.

It’s going under the tree. I’ll grab ACC during the next Steam sale, then maybe pick up iRacing in January after my next trip to Sebring!

Well… our League of Mostly Old Gentlemen is going through car selection for season seven right now. If ever you want a casual-but-competitive mixed ability group to come join.

I’ll check it out this weekend. I really want to get in from the start. Jumping in during the middle of the season just seemed weird to me. Is it raceroom or you haven’t decided yet?

Figured out how to get into the season 7 thread on slack so that’s progress. :)

We decided on Raceroom again, predominantly because the netcode is just so good. It really allows us to bang doors* and not have someone fired off into the sun the way we see in Project Cars, iRacing or even AC.

One driver gets up at three in the morning to join us from South Africa and we don’t have any problems with the physics being weird around his car.

*Several of the cars put forward as possibles for season seven don’t have doors.

I’m cool with that. I’ll have to tweak the VR in Raceroom this weekend. It’s the only game I was still having issues getting it to be steady, but I also was new to VR so I’m sure it will be fine. I saw the leaderboard you have up so I’m going to screw around with that this weekend and see how far off I am. :)

Don’t forget to go to Account > Account Settings and put Racing Dorks in the team name so you show up on our leaderboards. Then we can all be frightened/excited as necessary.

I’ll likely be 3-4 seconds off your pace. At least for a while. I do tend to get competitive, but I take a long time to learn new tracks. I think I’m getting better at it though so we’ll see.

That channel is certainly active lol. Wasn’t expecting that. Should be fun.

Yeah, we get chatty whenever there’s an F1 race on, or whenever we’re in silly season like now.

We didn’t even get to the rule voting yet!

Omg the fr3 car is so much fun. I’m laughing like crazy when it starts bouncing around. 1:09’s so far but I’m still trying to figure out a couple of turns. The one after the second chicane is killing me.

I don’t know if you know this, but if you go into “Leaderboard” mode you can challenge anyone off the leaderboard then in game using the 3 and 4 keys you can turn on/off the challenged ghost and racing line.

The racing line is green, white or red depending on if the driver was on the gas, coasting or on the brake, has upright exclamation marks on the line to show where they hit the brake for the first time and has white lines across the line showing where they changed gear.

It can be useful to learn different ways to approach different corners.

It’s been 3 or 4 years since I’ve fired up RaceRoom. What have you guys purchased? What do you typically drive? Sell me on it!

We’re firmly in bed with Sector 3 so we’ve all pretty much bought everything. There’s even a sale on right now!

Last season we ran the WTCR touring cars, but this year the GT4s are up for consideration, along with the Formula 3 and Formula 4 cars, the KTM XBow RR Cup, the Audi TT, the DTM2020 and the BMW 235i.

The DTMs have DRS and the TT has push-to-pass, but everything else is just sit and drive.

From the list I really like the XBow RR - it’s a road-legal, open wheel, open cockpit car with a motorcycle engine which makes it quite lively to drive, but I find it a lot of fun.

Away from the list I like the P2 prototypes, (don’t start with the Chevy), the BMW M1 and the GTR2s (don’t start with the Caddy).

I didn’t know about the challenge thing. Sweet. I’m only about a second of your current pace on bridge so I’m happy with that start. Running around 1:07.500 now.

Funny you mention that one. At my last visit to Sebring, they were showing off the Rush SR-1, which is an open cockpit single seater with a motorcycle engine.

Only 850 lb with roughly 144 hp if I did my math right, and less than $30k. It looked like a hoot.

I’ll definitely have to give RaceRoom another try. Have they kept the graphics looking good? I’ll be playing a lot of ACC to enjoy my new video card. I also need to figure out what to do about the display. I guess it’s TrackIR or nothing.

I need a XBow RR, an SR-1 and an Ariel Atom please. And a larger garage.

Better yet, for the F3/Raceroom Bridge combo you’re the 12th fastest driver… in the world…

If you can find two tenths you can make the top ten. And bump one of the other Dorks out of 10th, which I would find personally funny.