Racing games - GTR, Race07, Rfactor, etc

Paul Ricard seems to be just a large flat space covered in curbing. I think they could technically make infinite track layouts there because all the corners are created using striped paint.

My racing league had an event there this season at the “2A” layout. Race one I finished fourth and race two has a reversed grid, so I started at the back and when the lights went out I was in the wrong gear, so I got swamped and ended up last by turn one.

Tyres were a problem here, especially the left front thanks to the very long, very fast right hander at the end of the back straight but I was really stuck in traffic making no progress at all, so when the pitlane opened for the compulsory stop I went in straight away instead of splitting the race 50/50.

This meant I came out in last, but in clean air and I threw in as many qualifying-style laps as possible and because everyone else was squabbling over positions when they finally pitted I got past all of them. All I had to do then was protect my tyres to the end.

I almost made it perfectly, but on the last lap the front left was flashing red for wear and I span in the final sequence of turns. Fortunately they’re very twisty and low speed so I managed to get going again and hold on for the win.

Behind me, third and fourth were almost side by side coming out of the final turn and finished 0.007 apart:

It wasn’t my favourite race of the season, but managing to baby the tyres through what was really a 150% length stint and take the win made it easily my favourite result.