Racing games - GTR, Race07, Rfactor, etc

I have to say, the French don’t make it easy to play their rally sim mods.

It’s an adventure every time I reinstall RSRBR and go through the online setup process.

Here are the moments that came before the celebration. 20+ overtaking moves… I think I like this game.

The sounds these monster one cylinder engines make is adorable.

What are you using as a controller with the bike sim? Still stick to your wheel setup?

You can use your wheel, but then you’d have to set rider position to automatic, because there’s no where to control “tuck.”

You can also use a flightstick or other joystick, but I’m using my 360 controller. In their “RIDE” game I found the 360 controller to be a bit twitch - the small corrections you make made it look like you had ants in your race suit. There’s some of that in this game, but control seems a lot smoother by default.

I wonder if there are their pros out there that have built cockpit style rigs for riding games…,like re-purpose arcade machine setups and stuff.

Project Cars is on sale over at humble for the new couple days.

$10 gets you a steam key.

I bit on that a couple days ago. I’ve been waiting for this kind of price drop because it didn’t seem to offer a whole lot as far as solo play is concerned and I don’t do multiplayer. I’ve messed around with it a bit and I’ve enjoyed it so far.

I should note that the Humble page advertises that you get the Limited Edition DLC, but it doesn’t look like I did. I’m in contact with their support right now to see if I can get that sorted. I want my McLaren F1!

If you’ve ever driven the Automobilista or GSCE Formula Vee then you’ll know that Formula Vee is mankind’s best ever drunk idea. The real life SCCA runoffs start today and the Formula Vee race is going live right now and you should watch…

http://www.scca.com/pages/runoffs-live-video?layout=iframe

Don’t forget to use the quality option at the bottom to get something better than “1970s cinecam with vaseline on the lens” quality.

Someday I will drive a RL Formula Vee. What crazy fun! I did help push a Vee back to the paddock at a Vintage race after he ran himself out of gas.

Also, speak up you other people. The forum thinks I’m carrying too much of the conversation :)

Let others join the conversation

This topic is clearly important to you – you’ve posted more than 22% of the replies here.

Are you sure you’re providing adequate time for other people to share their points of view, too?

This was an unfounded belief apparently. The single player campaign actually seems quite nice so far.

Oh and Humble has yet to responded to my DLC question apart from an automatic canned email, so they’re dead to me.

So this happened in my 1988 F1 season.

Watkins Glen and of the 25 starters, 10 cars made it to the finish.

In the early laps I was following Julian Bailey when his car essentially just stopped in front of me while I was doing 175mph and having survived dodging him I rounded the next corner to find Mansell’s Williams on fire on the curbs.

Later I had about a second lead over my teammate when his engine exploded spectacularly in my mirrors.

Larini’s car failed as he rolled across the finish line, Capelli’s March had spent the final three laps harrying me but then died on the cool down lap after the race finished and then I came around the penultimate turn of the cool down to find Berger’s Ferrari parked on the verge, and then when I went around the final turn to head into the pits my engine sputtered and died.

I pushed in the clutch and rolled very slowly into the pit lane and just ran out of momentum about an inch before the perfect position in my pitbay.

I know the 80s F1 cars weren’t near as reliable as they are now, but I had mechanical failures set to normal, as per, and I’ve never seen anything like this.

There are several parameters in the car’s engine modeling that control that behavior. Many times the developer wants to make the reliability challenging, but it can be a hard line to walk for all players and even harder for the AI. I have experience on this as I’m done alot of both long events (2+hrs) and events with historical cars that tend to be sensitive on reliability.

For the engine you have (speaking in general terms)
Engine life: assuming nothing else is goes wrong, how long the engine will last. Note the designer make this fixed or have a random variable

Lifetime oil temp: If you run above this oil temp limit, then the engine will be damaged. Both temp limit and rate of damage are set by designer

Lifetime RPM: If you run above this RPM limit, then the engine will be damaged. Both RPM limit and rate of damage are set by designer. This can be quite severe. In the F1 65 mod I’ve raced frequently, you can blow an engine quite rapidly with sustained over-revs, or even very momentary over-revs can kill an engine over a 60min race.

Boost/engine map effects: On cars with different boost settings, the designer can specify additional engine wear as a result of running higher level of boost/engine maps.

These factors are all cumulative. Lets say you are going to run a 90min race. The engine life is 6 hrs. But you want to run a higher boost, and you test and it works fine. But then you get into a big fight and start over-revving the engine too much. Bang!

As a human, you can adjust your setup and driving style to make the engine last. It can be really interesting to play with all the variables to make the car go as fast as possible while being reliable. This was a BIG deal in the past, and its still a factor to this day.

The AI however is stupid. You can look at the setup its running to see if the AI is running too much boost or has the radiators closed up. If true, then you just need to give them a more conservative default setup.

I do not know how you can change the AI as far as revs.

Of course the last resort you could go into the engine files and make the engine’s infinitely reliable if that is your cup of tea.

This is a mod which specifically models the overall car life and basic engine on time-appropriate reliability and then also uses car-specific .ini files to make modifications to power, torque and drag. It’s very well done and this is by far the most extreme case I’ve seen out of it.

Normally you get a few basic retirements over a race distance if you set the failure rate to time scaled to account for the 15-20 lap races I’m running, with the odd spectacular engine fire every now and then.

There’s a clutch of 10 cars (McLaren, Williams, Ferrari, Benetton and Lotus), that are significantly faster than the rest of the field, so I frequently find myself on the cusp of the top ten toward the end of races, desperately hoping for mechanical failures ahead so that I might get a single point.

Finishing seventh at Watkins was heartbreaking as I probably won’t get a better chance to steal a point. Seeing Gugelmin get the Leyton House into fifth is especially galling.

My favourite car in the mod is the Rial of Andrea de Cesaris - the real life Rial retired from 13 of the 16 races in 1988 but is usually fairly quick for the 10 minutes it actually works.

de Cesaris’ managed to get 13 laps here before his gearbox failed. He’d actually qualified just in front of me (11th to my 12th), but when we both hammered onto the long straight on lap one his gearbox was already struggling as his car topped out at about 155mph causing me to almost ram him from behind.

He got going again and hung out in my mirrors for quite some time before being overtaken by Ivan Capelli and then finally having the fatal gearbox problem. It might be the furthest I’ve seen him get.

Which mod? I wouldn’t mind doing some proper single-player Automobilista over the winter.

This is the 1988 mod and he also has one for 1991.

The mod includes car skins, talent files, car performance modifications and reliability modifications. (It also separates the mod in two, with an “MP” version that only changes the skins, so you don’t get booted off of a server for having modified files if you try to race these cars online.)

You “calibrate” it by starting a practice session, (the open session before a race, not a test session), and then adjust the AI rating until you can just about keep up with your teammate’s fastest lap when you have low fuel (less than 5 laps) on board. At that point all the other cars will be appropriately tuned to give you a proper '88 style experience.

The one snag is that the AI uses “C” compound tyres for qualifying instead of the qualy rubber, so you either need to use C tyres yourself to qualify, or go into the .AIW file for the track you’re at and raise the “RaceQualRatio” from the default 1.003 to something like 1.01 - this will have to be tuned to find the right spot to match your ability.

Personally I just qualify on the C compounds to save time.

At Watkins I had the AI on 112% and then Derek Warwick in the other Arrows was 0.007 second faster than me in practice and then I out-qualified him by 0.05, so I was happy with that. At Suzuka I’m a bit slower, so I put the AI at 110%.

One thing to watch out for is that the AI’s first run in a practice session is down on low fuel and so that’s where their fast time usually comes. However, if they get baulked, make a mistake or get stuck in traffic that early time might end up too slow. I use accelerated time to let them get in their first laps and then watch other cars to see if my teammate’s time seems appropriate. If so then that’s the target I’m chasing.

Takes a bit of fine tuning, but once you get things set the experience is fantastic - easily one of the best for offline AI racing.

Good to know, thanks. My biggest problem with Automobilista/rFactor games is that there’s so little driver variation in the stock talent files/cars. A range of times of two seconds from the fastest to the slowest on a given course doesn’t leave me a lot of room for an off day.

On this one, those front 10 cars will often be a second a lap quicker than the midfield. If Senna goes into monster mode in the McLaren that won 15 of the 16 real life 1988 races he’ll lap you before you get off the grid.

In my Arrows I have a lot of fun squabbling with my teammate, the Leyton House cars and the Tyrells plus one random driver who’s having a great day, in an island between the professional teams and the chancers at the back.

After four or five hours of extra practice at modern Interlagos to get to grips with the car, I ran my first race of the season there. Mr. Bismarck’s Arrows seemed like as good a place as any to start, since the middle of the pack always makes for interesting racing.

Unfortunately, after an excellent qualifying performance that left me in 9th place, and an excellent start that saw me up to 6th, Michele Alboreto clipped me into turn 4 as I was (admittedly) making a rather sharp defensive maneuver. That put me nose into the wall, and I had to limp around the track to the pits to get the nose patched up and new tires put on. Unfortunately, that was only seven laps into the twenty-seven-lap race, so I had to baby the tires a little in the middle stage, and I still had an embarrassing off or two at the end. I did get a lot of practice moving out of the way under the blue flag, though. That’s a positive, I guess, as is the fact that I finished (albeit a lap down).

Next up: the historically-correct-for-the-1988-season Jacarepaguá!

Jacarepagua: great course, although I had to turn down the track object density in the graphics settings so as not to get chugging with 26 opponent cars. (Fairly heavy load, I’ll grant you.)

I qualified well, starting 7th behind Senna, one of the Williamses, both Bennetons, and both Lotuses, but lost a few positions at the start after running wide on a corner. There was a good bit of paint-trading, but fortunately, the early contact didn’t knock anybody out. It did cause one of the Tyrells some trouble:

I fought my way back, and spent most of the race tussling with the Lotuses. I was faster, but more prone to mistakes. (So I guess I was actually a little slower.) My setup gave me faster exits out of Norte, the tight corner before the back straightaway, than the Lotus cars, and better stability under braking into Sul, the fast left-hander at the far end.

The Lotuses, however, were faster at a few important points: they had the edge going into turn 3, which leads into Nonate, the corner which feeds into Norte. To close the gap after turn 3 so that I could get a good jump on them down the back straight into Sul, I had to really give my tires a hard time through Nonate. They also had me in turns 7 and 8, which immediately followed Sul. Bit of a struggle there, too, to hold the gains I had made.

Anyway, it was all for nothing when my engine blew up on lap 10 of 27. Here’s video of my part in the whole event. I think I will have to extend qualifying a little—six or seven cars didn’t even manage to lodge a time with the 5 minute session I started with, including Alain Prost, so I probably should have started a little further back in the pack. Prost ended up in fourth, though, passing Piquet on lap 25.

Next on the deeply fictional, Brazil-centered calendar: Brasilia!

I put qualifying to 20 minutes and then make sure I have “Accelerate Time” mapped to something (the ~ key usually).

That way I can accelerate through the first five minutes and let the AI cars put some rubber down, then go out and do about a third of my laps, come back in and then accelerate until close to the end when I can go out and put in a fully committed lap on ultra-low fuel.

Accelerate time means you don’t have to sit looking at your watch and also you don’t have to use the “end session” button, which tends to give the AI unrealistically fast times.

Meanwhile, in the touring cars at Brands Hatch, here’s the correct way to take Sheene Curve.