Racing games - GTR, Race07, Rfactor, etc

You can buy individual pedals, but to do so you’re going to shop in the pro-sim market and those pedals might not play nicely with the ones you already have.

Heusinkveld have single clutch pedals here for €120. They take 21% off that price if your order is from outside of the EU, as you don’t have to pay the VAT.

STEAM CHRISTMAS SALE KLAXON

rFactor2 is cheap. The game’s new owners have done away with the silly online subscription thingy, meaning the $15.99 you see is now the full price. Probably the best all-around AI available, dynamic tracks, full weather and day/night cycles and the coveted mid-session save that’s missing in almost all of the other games, (using the resume-from-replay option), meaning you can run complete 24 hour races in this.

Automobilista is also cheap (and is probably my favourite of the racing games).

Dirt Rally is also excellent and also cheap(ish). If you want to literally fly through the Finnish countryside with panels hanging off your car then this is one of only two options. The other being My Summer Car, which isn’t on sale.

I always drool over the DSD stuff, but it seems the pedals are out of stock and I am sure they used to do an H-Gate shifter.

http://www.derekspearedesigns.com/shifters.html

Act -Labs also used to do some stuff, but their website looks barely updated.

SSH maybe?

http://www.shiftershh.es/en.html

There must be dozens of alternatives out there now in the hardcore racer circles, surely.

Reiza just pushed an update to Automobilista that adds truck racing. They also snuck something else in there as a Christmas gift…

These things are hilarious.

!!!

Might have to give that a whirl.

Dirt Rally also is on significant discount on PS4 for PS Plus members.

Indiegala has the newest F1 game - F1 2016 for $14.99.

Either that was time limited, or it was a mistake, because the deal seems to have gone again now. However! Now there’s Dirt Rally for $14.99.

Don’t shout it too loudly, but with the latest patches Assetto Corsa may finally have something approaching a decent AI for offline racing. I had heard promising things, so I gave it a run tonight around Silverstone National in a field of Toyota 86s and there was definitely some racing had.

In one run I was on the right into Maggots which meant I had the inside line to Becketts and on replay you can see the AI’s car really squirming under braking, but he hangs in around the outside of the corner, using 100% of the track and then sits on the left all the way down Club Straight, which puts him on the inside into Brooklands where he takes the position back.

I then get a better run out of Luffield into Woodcote, so he moves over to the middle of the road on start/finish, so I can take the inside line to Copse - the sort of defensive move I’ve only seen rFactor2 AI do.

They still have some weird braking habits - they will put the power down in Copse and then react to the understeer that brings a FWD car with a dab of the brakes to get the nose back, for example - but it’s yet another step toward a better offline race experience.

Automobilista Beta now has the Formula Ultimate 2017 F1 car with a thousand horsepower.

Niels Heusinkveld has a talk and drive up.

The sound the car makes on throttle-off is incredible.

That’s probably just Niels grunting against his sim rig again.

Heh. It’s noticeable the talk and drive includes a lot less talk when he has a thousand horses.Now if he can just build a rig that simulates the g forces under braking and lateral g through corners we can hear some proper Dutch grunting.

This car sticks so well that at Suzuka you have to remember to manually close the DRS for turn one because you don’t brake at all, until you hit the midpoint and start braking for turn two.

Tried some running in the F1 last night. Was having trouble with one corner in third gear, so ended up trying to take it in second and that wouldn’t work either.

Because the correct answer was to take it in fifth.

You’re crashing because you’re not going fast enough is very counter-intuitive.

Ooh, Hockenheimring DLC! The old long Hockenheim course was one of my favorites from the classic F1 games.

The old layout that was just two giant runways joined with a few desultory corners? Yes, I liked that one too. And it’s included in the DLC!

I ran 45 laps at Red bull Ring in the new F1 car today. My shoulders were absolutely killing me by the end. I was white-knuckling the wheel for most of it.

Precisely the one! It’s fun going through the layouts from 1977 to 2001, seeing each iteration add more and tighter chicanes in a futile attempt to make it safer, but a successful attempt to make it less fun.

Careening around the old Hockenheimring takes me back to my childhood, spent throwing mid-90s F1 cars around it and other, similar tracks in Microprose’s Grand Prix and Grand Prix II. (Also, hunting through the manuals for the correct word on the correct page to get past the copy protection.)

Those Formula Ultimate cars are indeed a good time.

Edit: man, I really picked some terrible encoding settings there. Let’s see if I can’t improve on the quality…

I enjoy the off-throttle growl so much that when I recorded my replay I did most of it from out of car.

I liked the exterior replay more–it made me look better–but there’s​ very little off-throttle burble at Hockenheim.

It’s still not perfect, but I have literally never seen the AC AI do this sort of thing:

I ran another race this morning and got a genuine dive bomb off the AI - not the sort where they drill you in the braking zone and knock you off, but an AI pulling out to the inside line into a corner, braking very late and then counter steering with the wheels locked up to hold the entry and make the corner.

With the significant AI improvements in mind, this is a great time for Perfectly time for Assetto Corsa to go on sale for 60% off.

All the DLC is on sale too.