Radio Shack - The 80's called. They want their stores back. No, really

Chapter 11 again. Come on. Should rule for chapter 7 preemptively. If that’s even possible :)

My girlfriend suggested something regarding Radio Shack…

Wouldn’t a natural business direction for this company to go be to transform into some sort of maker space?

It seems ideal… Give folks a place to make crap… making crap requires stuff that Radioshack sells… They are there, so they buy Radioshack’s stuff.

Why is this not a thing?

Ha. Liability cost of letting a random civilian handle a soldering iron is probably more than they can afford. Similar issues for most other crafts which tend to involve sharp and/or hot things. “I poked myself in the eye with this leatherworking awl so you owe me $100 million”.

My understanding is that RS no longer stocks all of the resistors, transistors, ICs etc. that they used to. I could be wrong though.

But maker spaces already exist.

Sure, but are they backed by major corporations with enormous amounts of money to lose in litigation, or are they tiny independent collectives?

But more seriously I don’t think there’s much money there, despite the old Tandy association with leatherworking and similar crafts. Even with the collateral benefit of tool and material sales, I don’t know if a typical RS upscale strip mall location could pay the rent with the income.

Both, I believe. Generally folks just sign liability waivers to use the space.

Here’s an example from a maker space in Dallas.
https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Liability_Waiver

I dunno, seems like the could be. Would at least make a radio shack a useful thing, instead of just a place for setting crappy cell phones and junk.

The obligatory Radio Shack commercial from two years ago.

That was great!

Auction time!

http://ubidestates.hibid.com/catalog/103245/radioshack-auction--1/

[quote]
As we cleaned out our historic archives in Fort Worth, Texas, we uncovered a cache of iconic memorabilia in 12 huge safes, including: unused original TRS-80 Microcomputers, Realistic Transistor Radios, Tandy computer software games, original brick cell phones and so much more. We all remember coming into RadioShack whether it was for the battery-of-the-month, new walkie-talkies, or to check out the newest RC toy cars. Now we reintroduce many of those nostalgic items and more with our rolling online memorabilia auction.[/quote]

I’m actually tempted by some of this garbage.

OMG me too, but not enough to add a payment method right off the bat to some bidding site I’ve never heard of.

I mean this is awesome.