RAGE - New thread for the id game

New trailer, with barely-cut real gameplay. I am going to use this as a landmark to make a new thread for the game itself, as the previous one was more for discussing the technology.

Also, discussion about the multiplayer

http://www.1up.com/news/rage-details-multiplayer-co-op-preorder

director Tim Willits recently showed off Rage’s main multiplayer component: “Rage Combat Rally.” Willits described this mode as the “best of both worlds,” as it provides a measure of Id Software’s signature competitive multiplayer combat, while also emphasizing the vehicular action that Rage introduces. Additionally, this mode also layers objectives on top of traditional free-for-all deathmatching – which Willits believes adds a measure of depth and tactical interest on top of the “drive forth and kill” mentality.

At the moment, Rage Combat Rally supports four players (the developers are aiming for six, but everything is subject to technical constraints and gameplay balance), and a typical match lasts about three minutes (which can be adjusted by players). The basic goal, besides shooting your opponents, is to score points by driving through rally points – these in turn grant multipliers for your overall score. Victory conditions depend on which mode you’re playing (Team Rally, Chain Rally where pretty much everybody drives after the lead player, and simple Vehicle Deathmatch), and all stats get stored into a persistent profile that details your level progression (which in turn unlocks additional vehicles, weapons, and items). The current plan is to have at least five Rage Combat Rally maps out-of-the-box, with DLC to be determined later.

Hence, the separate cooperative mode called “Legends of the Wasteland,” where two players work through a defined side-mission (such as the aforementioned Wellspring clean-up, or a cooperative version of Mutant Bash TV). The main differences in co-op look like increased enemy count and occasional puzzles (such as one player opening vaults or passageways, and the other player defending the opener or grabbing a now-accessible item). The team is still experimenting with how many missions total, or the exact structure

he team announced that all pre-orders will upgrade your copy of Rage to the “Anarchy Edition,” which includes an additional suite of weapons, missions, and gear. The weapons include a Double-Barreled Shotgun (Hooper commented, “it’s not an Id game without a Double-Barreled Shotgun,” though I’m kind of curious as to why said shotgun isn’t part of the default arsenal) and the Fists of RAGE (a particularly nasty looking set of brass knuckles), while the gear includes a custom vehicle (the Rat Rod Buggy) and a set of Crimson Elite armor. The last bit of content named was the “Wasteland Sewer” mission (only the name was given; whether or not this is the same mission as seen in previous demonstrations remains to be seen). As to whether or not there’s a price difference, or if these items would be available as DLC post-release, is still to be determined

Wow. Great trailer. I hope that ending wasn’t just for the trailer. It would be interesting to try to get out alive from a situation like that, with so many enemies coming at you at once, including big enemies. I love the Dead City visuals. Delicious Post-apocalyptic wasteland.

Thread titles which are guaranteed to become less correct over time are always good for a laugh.

I’m really interested in this now. The question will be, mouse/keyboard or gamepad?

The Dead City looks amazing. I can’t WAIT to explore that environment. If the next Fallout can look like that, I’ll never leave my couch.

Dat atmosphere.

I hate to say it, but I hope they realize that 4-player and 6-player multiplayer sounds really thin, and that id have been building it with a mind of avoiding the mistakes made by doom 3 mp. For example, I’d be perfectly okay with 4-player multiplayer if it meant that competitive multiplayer was played in the single player areas inundated with swarms of mutants/monsters, similar to Doom 1 and 2 lanplay.

Still, being a lifelong id fanboy since wolf3d, I cannot wait for this and the new doom.

The NPC at the beginning sounds suspiciously like Sidorivich from STALKER.

I liked it… but it was preceded by a BF3 ad in a dusty grey brown city, followed by… the City of the Dead? :( Broken concrete ahoy! It seemed to have a slightly cel-shaded look. Is that the look it’ll have? I liked it.

I hope that is the case. The more shooters that borrow/steal from STALKER the better, I say.

A little summary of the game, for the people who hasn’t pay attention these years

-Game divided in two big areas with a central hub/town in each one
-“Open but directed”, it’s not going to be a true sandbox.
-Action divides in traditional fps, in a very “id style”, in both outdoors and underground places, bunkers, sewers, etc. and vehicle stuff.
-The divide will be something like 65-70% on foot, 30% cars, while the big novelty of the game is maybe the vehicles, they are not the total focus, they are there to improve the variety of the experience.
-Vehicle stuff is also divided between car combat in the middle of the wasteland, and participating in official races (i don’t know if in them you can use weapons or not).
-A big part of the game will be the economy (in comparison with past id games!). You win money while doing missions and races and stuff, and with it you upgrade your car (engine, armor, new weapons, mines, etc) or buy new ones. You can also buy special ammo, gadgets, etc.
-Arcade controls for the cars. “Air control”, tight handbraking, etc.
-Crafting system. There are special gadgets like the auto turret, the grindlocker, the r/c explosive car, the spiderBot (the same that Doom3!), that throwable boomerang/shuriken seen in all the trailers, and you can craft them with “junk” pieces you find in the game. If you have the “recipe”.
-You can loot the broken “toys” like turrets after combat and recover part of the pieces need for a new one.
-While there isn’t going to be a ton of weapons, it seems each one will have 2-3 different ammo types to give a bit more of play.
-No level system. There is an inventory, but you don’t level up. It’s not a RPG.
-Imagine something like Borderlands or Stalker in basic gameplay structure (primary/secondary quests, travelling between places, a bit of exploration and combat in travels).
-Both health regen. system and bandage. I don’t know exactly how it will work. Is limited the regen. system? why putting stuff like bandages if not?
-Types of enemies: bandits/random bad dudes (at least 4 named clans each one with different behaviour), mutants/monsters, Authority (elite military arm, kind of Enclave from F3 with the serial number wiped off).
-They have put a bit more of effort in the characterization and story. About the story, i still think it’s going to be something between mediocre and awful, but in characterization i have seen some colorful/wacky characters.
-Multiplayer as seen above: Combat Rally (vehicle combat leveling up and all that) and Legends of the Wasteland (select 2-coop pieces of the sp, kind of like Bulletstorm or CoD MW2).
-People mention Megatexture as the big thing, but imo the animation is one of the strong points here. They have chosen a very expressive animation system, almost cartoony sometimes, but a delight to see. It serves to show off the 60fps of the game.

Well they’ve already specifically said it’s not an open-world game. So it remains to be seen whether there’s any significant urban exploration or if it’s going to be more like the illusory freedom of Half-Life 2.

It will be m/k for me :P.

But about gamepad, they have confessed it’s basically the controls/pad layout inspired in the CoD model. In their words “More than 10 million people know these controls, so you don’t fuck around that”.

Wow that’s simply amazing tech, it makes Fallout 3 and STALKER look like doo-doo powered graphics. Those close-up dialogs are crazy (loving the art direction too) and the long-distance shots of burning high-rises are a beaut’. Gameplay-wise it also looks decent!

Oh, HL2 was a very very illusory freedom. “Wide corridors” streets mostly. I think it’s going to be more free than that, i just don’t it will be totally free like in Call of Pripyat. In the other hand, they have insisted it’s not a pure GTA-style sandbox experience of do-what-you-want.

EG has a new image gallery.
http://www.eurogamer.net/gallery.php?game_id=8183&article_id=1350865

Texture sharpness seems very improved. That, or is the pc version… given the sshots are at 2560*1200, i suppose they are from the pc version.

I agree, it’s looking great. Sadly enough, based on the video there’s not too much that you can actually explore. Seems to be a rather linear affair.

How long is the single player campaign?

Oh I’m sure it’s linear but just being able to move through that environment will be cool.

Good question DeepT, i think the other day they said something about that. 15 hours, i think… /search… yes:

http://www.gamesthirst.com/2011/04/06/rage-single-player-to-be-15hrs-long/

Oh, i don’t know, there are various zones in the trailer where it appears (italics ftw) there were another paths to use and possible places to explore, but obviously in the trailer they went on a planned path.
I think there going to be a bit of exploration, just not as much as say… Stalker.

edit: hell, remember they also had their bit of exploration in Doom 1, even in Commander Keen. If they had already more exploration than in a modern CoD in these old games, i don’t think they are going to make a more open modern game to finally do a “linear affair” in the end.