RAGE - New thread for the id game

I got a decent amount of enjoyment out of Rage. The shooting was fun and the racing was a real good time, but it didn’t keep me engaged much after the racing was unlocked. I should return to it.

The worst part were the sewer areas and some you had to go back to twice. Horrible level design.

I haven’t done a sewer area yet in the main game, but yeah, in the demo, the first thing I found was a mission to go into the sewers. And it was terrible.

Yesterday I went to the Dead City and encountered that gigantic enemy for which the game gave me a rocket launcher. For all the talk by everyone that the game didn’t end well, it’s a shame they didn’t save this encounter for the ending. It had a very suitably epic feel to it. It’s the sort of encounter that games usually end on.

Yeah, but then you wouldn’t get to use the rocket launcher on anything because the game would be over. :)

I get what you’re saying, but it just made me think of a common problem with cool endgame weapons. They’re at the end of the game!

-Tom

There are still some serious bugs in this game. There have been situations 3 times now where I couldn’t advance anymore because I got stuck on geometry, or one of my ally AI got stuck on geometry and I couldn’t get around him. Luckily the game saves every time you go to a new area, so I haven’t had to replay too much because of the bugs.

I’m surprised though. Never seen that kind of thing in an id software game before.

I think Rage was id`'s nadir. Carmack was on his way out the door. The fast-paced FPS was relegated to dustbin of history by grim, grey manshoots. They were struggling to make an impact on consoles with a new, console-optimized engine. They forgot that, first and foremost, an I’d game is all about being cool.

DOOM was certainly the lowest of low-hanging fruit, but it certainly showed that there is still some swagger left in studio the Johns built.

So I thought I was near the end of the game. All the upgrades available had been bought. All the races had been won. All the side quests were finished. I just had to go with the guy to a new location where I would get to the end game, right?

Nope, he took me to a new hub. Where there’s new races, new sidequests, new upgrades for the car, new recipes for equipment. Crazy. I guess this game is going to keep going for a while.

Haha. Yeah there are two unique locations. And when the ending happens you won’t even notice it because there kinda isn’t one.

I finished the base game. Now I’m doing the Scorchers DLC.

The base game’s ending was just as anticlimatic as advertised. I saved all my BFG ammo for… something. Something that never came. That’s okay though. I’m sure I’ll get to try out the BFG in the Scorchers expansion places.

It is kind of weird that in the base game they never fleshed out what exactly the Authority was. They didn’t establish a villain to fight beyond the generic soldiers you meet and the mutants they kitted out with guns. Just a little strange.

Finished the Scorchers DLC. Not bad. New weapon is really good. It’s 3 very different kinds of weapon in one. Still, nothing too great.

Interesting… Apparently there will be a RAGE 2?

Pete Hines is not pleased.

Color me very surprised. I thought RAGE sold horribly so it was a dead IP.

After I played through DOOM, I was on a high and wanted more id Software, so I played through RAGE, and it wasn’t a bad game. I liked it enough to buy the DLC and play through that as well. It was a decent shooter, so I think it has some nice potential. Especially if they can bring the lessons they learned from the latest DOOM.

It did sell poorly and it is a dead IP.

They need to add wingsticks to more games. They were the best part of RAGE.

Jesse Pinkman’s getting hyped!

People are suggesting an independent studio are handling the development duties since id are busy with Doom II. Outside of Quake Champions, which is developed by Saber Interactive, Bethesda hasn’t published a game developed by an external studio since 2011. My guess, it’s either Certain Affinity or Avalanche.

Avalanche would be an awesome pick, Mad Max was really good except for a few parts.

That’s a great point. Mad Max was already a game very similar to RAGE.

They know how to design a varied desert! I really enjoyed Mad Max, too. I guess it had the misfortune of releasing the day MGS 5 came out, but when I finally played it in 2016, it was a great time outside of those bogus missions where you have to diffuse mines (way too tedious).