Railroad Tycoon II is still one of the best strategy games

The fixed consist could do anything the original RRT interface could do. By default, the quick fixed consists were one cargo only, but you could enter “custom consist” and specify the cars one by one. I used this feature a few times, mainly when I wanted to ensure a particular factory got supplied.

• Gus

I was looking at grabbing Railroad tycoon 2 off steam. Any one know if it will work on Windows 7 64 bit?

I haven’t spent much time with it, but it launches just fine and I can pull up a scenario no problems. I can’t for long-term stability though, as I’ve only played around with it for about 20 min.

Beware of the hyper-speed when scrolling the map using the mouse. The arrow keys seems to scroll it at a more reasonable rate.

Damnation and hellfire! I spent 3 days of free time when someone mentioned SMAC in another thread and now this thread happens. I can hear the blues songs and money sounds now.

This part of the game was actually my absolute favorite part. Stretching my mind around the insane amount of micromanaging was an intense challenge. I never got the chance to play multiplayer. In single player, I think I hit the pause button every time a train hit a station so I could make sure the train would carry exactly what I wanted it to carry.

I think I missed all those helpful little tricks that were supposed to cut down on the micromanaging, but I really didn’t mind. I actually pulled out RT2 within the last month and gave it another go. Fantastic fun time.

It works on 64 bit like a champ. It’s strange how my old favorites have followed me to every work laptop I’ve traveled with. X-Com, Jagged Alliance 2, RT2, etc.

Hi everyone, sorry if this thread gets turned in another direction but I found this forum on google after a few failed attempts at installing Railroad Tycoon II on my laptop.

I have a Windows Vista 32 bit OS with an intel duel core and service pack two. I bought the game from a charity shop and remember that I loved playing it when I was younger and would love to have another go. I put the disc in and the options of play, install ect come up but I click install and it seems to do nothing (except ask for permission to run the program), please advise :(

Try disabling UAC in the interim? And make sure that you are running an admin account. It should work, I vaguely recall being able to install easily off my disc version once upon a time.

That said, my Steam copy installed flawlessly on a Vista 32 bit OS.

Whats a UAC and how do I do that?

Uh, don’t worry about UAC then. Best to not touch that which you don’t know.

All I can suggest is make sure you are running the install as Adminstrator, and changing compatibility to a Windows OS pre-XP.

And it must have been a longer time ago when I installed Railroad Tycoon II from disc. I don’t think I can help you much more though.

I install all my games to a C:\Games folder instead of the default C:\Program Files folder. That along with running the install as Administrator seems to prevent a lot of problems.

Thats what I’ve been trying to do (run as admin and set compatibility as Win 2000), it works on my brother’s newer machine that runs Windows 7, but it only installs, when you try and play it says somthing about the wrong Windows NT. Has anyone else been in the same boat as me and have managed to find a way around? Please :( really want to play this game :(

All I can say is that the steam version runs flawlessly in Vista 32bit and Windows 7 64 bit. If you really want to play it, it is $5 on Steam.

Heck, I’d gift it to you except for the fact it isn’t available in my region - I had to get a friend from Canada gift it to me.

Is it available in the UK?

Damn you… Damn you all to hell. 4.99 spent. Gold on the B&O and I am building for Chitown…

I’m running the Steam version under Windows 7 64 and I get an unrecoverable ‘No Disk in the drive’ error. Any suggestions?

Just had a quick look and it appears so - 2 pound 99. (Found out by the old Welcome to Steam trick).

That might help. Better bet might be to verify the steam files first though.

Personally, I’ve never had that problem arise before under Win 7 64bit.

I just installed and am running it on Win 7 64 bit as well. Seems fine here so it must be a hardware thing