Railway Empire - Railroad Tycoon from Kalypso

I think so.

Like most folks, on the forum I’ve been pretty meh about the Claypso remakes of Tropico etc. Mostly because there was so little new or improved.

Soren Johnson formula for sequels is one part new, one part old, and one part improved.

In the old category, there is very little changed from the Railroad Tycoon economy, A few industries have been changed but other than that not much, The economy is slightly more transparent.

In the new category, you research both new engines and new modest improvements. It is not particularly exciting or innovative tech tree but I do think it presents some interesting choices. The addition of engineers, conductors, and other personal is more flavor than a significant game element but fun.

Besides the obvious improvements, graphics, a much better method for laying track, a generally improved UI.
The biggest improvement is in the operation of trains. In RR Tycoon and even most of the remakes, switches and such were abstracted. In this game you have 4 tracks (max) going into a station and no two trains (which are many miles long) can occupy.the same track simultaneously. It is your job to use all the tools, switches, parallel tracks, warehouses etc. to make that happen.

So far I’m enjoying the challenge albeit a bit frustrating at times.